Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2017, 11:05   #1

Boat: Flicka 20
Cell phone service E. Coast Offshore?

how far off US East Coast can I expect to get cell phone service? I am considering using a smart phone's "hot spot" to connect ipad to internet and get real time weather, tides, currents. What would be the best service provider for this?
LHolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 11:15   #2

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38
Re: Cell phone service E. Coast Offshore?

I believe that depends on the area, I have gotten service a mile out on many occasions, but, had none in the ICW in the Carolinas. I believe that the largest harbor entrances have shoreside antennas facing seaward , improving coverage out to sea.

I would not rely on cellular service for weather, get a shortwave reciever.
Old 13-05-2017, 12:47   #3

Boat: Peterson 34

Only a fool would rely on an iPad or iPhone for anything important on a boat. You are talking about using one for your only source of weather info offshore? Seriously? Are you joking? You are putting your own life and the lives of your crew at risk by sailing offshore without even the most basic equipment. Are you not bringing any life jackets either? No charts? No compass? No EPIRB? For the price of a USED IPAD you could get an older but working HF radio on ebay or any ham swap meet. You can get weatherfax with a cheap SDR receiver.

SailsTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 12:49   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesarsten View Post
I believe that depends on the area, I have gotten service a mile out on many occasions, but, had none in the ICW in the Carolinas. I believe that the largest harbor entrances have shoreside antennas facing seaward , improving coverage out to sea.

I would not rely on cellular service for weather, get a shortwave reciever.

Offshore is not a mile out neither is the ICW. Even SF bay has no cell coverage in a lot of areas! Both shortwaver receivers and SDRs can receive weather fax.
Old 13-05-2017, 12:53   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHolden View Post
What would be the best service provider for this?
The truth is: Carnival Cruise Lines. The only ship you have any business being on offshore with an ipad for navigation or weather.
Old 13-05-2017, 13:11   #6

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

I get spotty cellular data up to about 10 miles out, more or less depending on towers.

PS- Sail Steam, lighten up.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 13:17   #7

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
how far off US East Coast can I expect to get cell phone service? I am considering using a smart phone's "hot spot" to connect ipad to internet and get real time weather, tides, currents. What would be the best service provider for this?
Pay no attention to the Troll!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 14:58   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailsTeam View Post
Only a fool would rely on an iPad or iPhone for anything important on a boat. You are talking about using one for your only source of weather info offshore? Seriously? Are you joking? You are putting your own life and the lives of your crew at risk by sailing offshore without even the most basic equipment. Are you not bringing any life jackets either? No charts? No compass? No EPIRB? For the price of a USED IPAD you could get an older but working HF radio on ebay or any ham swap meet. You can get weatherfax with a cheap SDR receiver.

All very credible advice, even though hidden behind your questions. BUT YOU FORGOT TO MENTION THE ONE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO HAVE ABOARD!!!
Old 14-05-2017, 09:03   #9

Boat: Caliber 47

10 miles give or take
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 10:50   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

My last trip down the coast we would always lose cell service 4-5 miles off the coast. This was consistent all down the east coast and with three of us onboard, one with Verizon, one ATT and one Sprint.

Odd thing, I could see 5 bars on my phone but could not connect. I guess the little 1/8-1/4 Watt transmitter in the phone just couldn't make it that far.

A marine VHF radio will get you reliable weather reports for 25-50 miles. Much better option.

We also lost all service in a couple of spots on the ICW, especially central NC.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 14:20   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
My last trip down the coast we would always lose cell service 4-5 miles off the coast. This was consistent all down the east coast and with three of us onboard, one with Verizon, one ATT and one Sprint.

Odd thing, I could see 5 bars on my phone but could not connect. I guess the little 1/8-1/4 Watt transmitter in the phone just couldn't make it that far.

A marine VHF radio will get you reliable weather reports for 25-50 miles. Much better option.

We also lost all service in a couple of spots on the ICW, especially central NC.
Maybe haul the phone up the mast and shout?
Old 14-05-2017, 14:35   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Maybe haul the phone up the mast and shout?
We tried that and it didn't help.

There are companies that sell cell phone boosters that could help but the good ones aren't cheap.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 15:06   #13
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Cell coverage for your purpose is fine but variable as others have said. 10 miles at best, none at worst.
SSB HF radio is overkill for cost of install. Slow too.

Solution I found: delorme (garmin now) InReach. You can buy the SE unit for $200-$300. I buy the message service by the month. Unlimited messages $69, or you can purchase a limited number of messages at various price points. I use it only when i am on passages, otherwise i suspend the service.

Iridium service is worldwide, fast, robust - not weather or ionosphere dependent. You can also leave a track on a website (free) for family to watch your passage. There is a weather service too- $1 per report. Medium accuracy in my experience.

I also use www.FastSeas.com free weather routing service. I send a query with my position and where i am headed and receive wind prediction as well as headings to steer. There is a unlimited routing subscription too- $30 annually (I think, anyway it is cheap).
Old 14-05-2017, 15:25   #14

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
We tried that and it didn't help.

There are companies that sell cell phone boosters that could help but the good ones aren't cheap.
Wilson make a range of boosters. I have an older one that help. I assume technology in newer units is improved.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 15:27   #15

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post

PS- Sail Steam, lighten up.
Yeah, lighten up. OP never said it was his only source. And these kind of over the top manic responses dont help the community here.

Near coastal cell phone coverage sure can be handy. Ive used it many times to do Google Earth overlays of charts while underway...helps to confirm whether charts have land masses in the right place.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cell phone, offshore, phone, service