Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2021, 12:40   #1

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Cellular modem

I've gotten my boat WIFI, and extender to work, now I'm working on adding Cellular data for when not in smelling distance of a marina, or restaurant WIFI I can piggyback.

What is a good affordable cell modem with external antenna that I can add as a WAN access point to existing router?

Also what is a good affordable data plan (or prepaid SIMS) for USA, and Bahamas possibly rest of Caribbean?

I would like an Omni external antenna, with POE, or USB cable to connect to the GLI router I already have.

I currently use Bearifi for extended WIFI when the GLI rabbit ear antennas aren't good enough.

(oddly enough, when I was at one anchorage, I wasn't able to pick up any open WIFI networks, or even the one I had the password to with just the GLI. I connected the Bearify, found it, and logged in. Later I tried the GLI again, and this time it found it, and worked. I disconnected the Bearify, and tossed it in the box, and the GLI STILL was logged in, and connected to the distant marina network, and streaming video no problems. )

I'm still not sure what happened there unless someone's WIFI antenna has beam forming, or directional antennas.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2021, 06:23   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676
Re: Cellular modem

I use an Alcatel IK41UC usb modem either in my laptop or in my mikrotik router. It should work fine in your GLI. You can get an unlocked one for $26.50 on ebay.

They cover the T-mobile and ATT bands and will work with any carrier or reseller using those bands which includes the Bahamas and much of the Caribbean. In the Caribbean you might want to carry one of the versions that has bands B1 and B3 as well as the North American version.

They have 2 TS9 jacks to add external antennas.
Old 30-12-2021, 05:25   #3

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

Have a look at this device:

https://www.multitech.com/models/92507165LF

It appears to me to be a commercial grade cellular data modem. It retails for about $240.

The most difficult part of your inquiry is finding the appropriate data-only plan. I think finding the right plan is the key. Then you have to select the device to operate with the plan-provider's network.

You could also fit better antennas onto the modem to improve the range of reception.

I have not tried this modem--essentially because I am still looking for the right provider and right plan.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2021, 05:43   #4

I work remotely, so despite being expensive, I bought a peplink max transit router. It has a CAT18 modem which supports almost every band (not 5G though). It has 2 SIM slots so I can failover to the other one if a network is down, and it can connect to another WAN like you mentioned.

Peplink also sells a marine antenna for it.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modem