Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2023, 05:35   #1

Boat: Boréal 47
Changing MMSI - duplicate records on AIS database?

New to me vessel was flagged in UK.
Name ABCD and MMSI 1234 (example only).

I quickly and easily changed the name within the Vesper WatchMate Vision to XYZ.

So on AIS databases, we now appear at XYZ with MMSI 1234.

We are US flagged so I requested a new MMSI and ship license. Once I reprogram my devices, I will show up as:

Vessel XYZ, MMSI 5678, FLAG USA (so far, so good). But I will also show up as
Vessel XYZ, MMSI 1234, FLAG UK (only on databases, not ship to ship obviously).

I thought I would rename my vessel ABCD while I still have the original MMSI, transmit so that the online databases update (say 10 minutes) and then shut it down, change MMSI and load the proper name.

Will that work? Any other ideas?
fredct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 06:14   #2

Re: Changing MMSI - duplicate records on AIS database?

You may be aware that end-user changing of MMSI numbers may be challenging. Are you able to do it?
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 06:18   #3

@leecea - I am aware. I have hired a contractor to do that part. Requires removing the equipment shipping but this is slow season so no problem. Of course, once programmed, I can no longer transmit on original MMSI, hence the fear of having duplicate records.
Old 12-12-2023, 19:45   #4

I don't understand your question.

are you talking about seeing the old boat name on apps like marine traffic?

change the mmsi and name and start broadcasting the new data. who cares about the old one.

other boats will only see your live data.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 21:24   #5

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredct View Post
New to me vessel was flagged in UK.
Name ABCD and MMSI 1234 (example only).

I quickly and easily changed the name within the Vesper WatchMate Vision to XYZ.

So on AIS databases, we now appear at XYZ with MMSI 1234.

We are US flagged so I requested a new MMSI and ship license. Once I reprogram my devices, I will show up as:

Vessel XYZ, MMSI 5678, FLAG USA (so far, so good). But I will also show up as
Vessel XYZ, MMSI 1234, FLAG UK (only on databases, not ship to ship obviously).

I thought I would rename my vessel ABCD while I still have the original MMSI, transmit so that the online databases update (say 10 minutes) and then shut it down, change MMSI and load the proper name.

Will that work? Any other ideas?
It took me a bit to get what you are referring to. By "online databases" you mean marinetraffic, vesselfinder, and the like?

Those sites don't matter. At all. They have nothing to do with AIS, except that they listen to AIS and sell that data. So, unless you are paying them to purchase a history of everywhere you have been, they are completely irrelevant. All you need to do is change the name and MMSI in your equipment.

The only database that matters is that connected to your getting your ship station license. That will be correct before you even reprogram your equipment. The online sites will report whatever you are transmitting.
Old 13-12-2023, 05:08   #6

I know that online tools are secondary but it is how people on land look us up.

I will turn on the system briefly, revert back to the old name, let it send some information which will wipe out our new names, reprogram AIS with new MMSI and name (and country).

Thanks to all.
Old 13-12-2023, 05:21   #7

The official database for ship's MMSI numbers is the International Telecommunications Union (ITU). Each authority that administers MMSI numbers for their country, registers these entries into the ITU database.

Web sites that collect AIS data such as marinetraffic, vesselfinder etc. do not have any official responsibility for the administration of MMSI numbers.

Don't worry about updating your vessel's name in your Vesper transceiver and transmitting with the old MMSI number just so that marinetraffic can associate your vessel's new name with its old UK MMSI number. Its unimportant, unofficial and who cares? Just update your vessel's new name and MMSI number into the transceiver, complying with the appropriate FCC regulations.

In addition, in your specific case, now that you have renamed your vessel and obtained a FCC issued MMSI number, ideally you or the previous owner should deregister the vessel's old UK issued MMSI number, ship station licence and callsign.

This is done via Ofcom. It probably can be done online, but you may not have an account with Ofcom, so you may need the previous owner to complete the deregistration procedure.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2023, 05:43   #8

I lost contact with previous owner so deleting the record is not an option.

I am doing this for my elderly mother so that she can follow us online. No ulterior or nefarious motive.

I add that our name is unique within AIS (so far) and i would like it to remain that way for as long as possible.
Old 13-12-2023, 13:14   #9

Boat: Morgan 382

Do what you want is it makes you comfortable. But what you propose won't do anything. Give your family you new boat name and new mmsi. Nothing else is needed.

Also know that unless you have a class A AIS and your family pays a subscription fee, you position and track will be intermittent. They may panic thinking you died.

There are better ways to keep them informed. Inreach, Predictwind etc.

But go ahead, your plan won't hurt anything.

Tags
ais, record