Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2014, 15:53   #1

Boat: Pearson Invicta 38"
Chart Plotter for p70 Evolution Autopilot

We have a Raymarine Evolution EV-1 p70 autopilot and want to add a chart plotter to the system. We have been using our Ipad with Navionics for the past 2 weeks with our paper charts but the battery on the ipad has died twice on our sails. Any recommendations? Yes we like paper charts, yes we like Navionics but would like a hardwired system added to the Raymarine if possible
Thanks for all advice
Tara
tflana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 16:01   #2

Boat: 1989 52' PT Overseas Yachtfisher
Re: Chart Plotter for p70 Evolution Autopilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tflana View Post
We have a Raymarine Evolution EV-1 p70 autopilot and want to add a chart plotter to the system. We have been using our Ipad with Navionics for the past 2 weeks with our paper charts but the battery on the ipad has died twice on our sails. Any recommendations? Yes we like paper charts, yes we like Navionics but would like a hardwired system added to the Raymarine if possible
Thanks for all advice
Tara
Any of the current model (except Dragonfly) Raymarine MFDs will meet your needs. You can use Navionics charting software, or the NOAA raster or vector charts available for free from Raymarine.
Old 12-10-2014, 19:06   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tflana View Post

Thanks for all advice

Tara

We have a Raymarine e95 with our Evolution pilot. Works well together. I use Navionics + series charts on it.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 16:31   #4

You need a Raymarine plotter with an SD card slot to update your Evolution autopilot firmware. There is no other way of getting the updates. There have been three since the original. Each piece in the system has separate updates and you must reconfigure the system again from scratch each time you update. I went with the A65 touch screen as a backup to my main Garmin system and it gave me the update ability I needed. Wifi control to my tablet also is nice.
johnboatcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot