Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2023, 14:10   #1

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes 56
Chartplotter or OpenCPN?

A bit to wade through, but this is an excellent discussion of where NOAA is going with their charts (mbtiles), and why many prefer OpenCPN over chartplotters. A (not so) funny line: "every chart has errors".

With the chartplotter vs OpenCPN debate, no right answers, just tradeoffs. The slightly better choice would depend on boat characteristics, where you sail. And of course, you can always use both and I'd guess most do.

Personally, I prefer PC navigation for ease and speed of chart updates, display flexibility, where I plan to go, and the size of my boat gives room for a nice big 15" display under the dodger. On a previous smaller racing boat, the chartplotter had a clear advantage of size and simplicity and my navigation needs were simpler. I've been using mbtiles OpenCPN for a little while and really appreciate the aesthetics over the NOAA ENCs.
Mal Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 14:17   #2

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: Chartplotter or OpenCPN?

Didn't sit through a 1 hr.+ video to listen to the "debate".

Opencpn is a robust chart plotter navigation software, the end of the debate/there isn't one.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 14:29   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Didn't sit through a 1 hr.+ video to listen to the "debate".

Opencpn is a robust chart plotter navigation software, the end of the debate/there isn't one.

We use OpenCPN extensively as we circumnavigate and love it. Where it falls short compared to a MFD is at the helm.

The ability for a B&G Zeus (for example) to integrate the entire system on a vessel, display perfect night mode, select an AIS vessel and initiate a DSC, easily show engine data, fluid levels, Victron electrical status, show Active Captain, good touch and physical controls, water resistance, control lighting, view cameras, control a Fusion stereo, etc is far too convenient to say “end of debate”.

Now, OpenCPN on a 14” Samsung Tablet makes a great companion device at the helm (during the day).
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 14:35   #4

Quote:
We use OpenCPN extensively as we circumnavigate and love it. Where it falls short compared to a MFD is at the helm.
I agree. What works for me is OpenCPN inside the cabin, used more for longer passages/planning, and Navionics via ipad/iphone at the helm, used more "live" in harbors/anchorages.
markxengineerin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chartplotter, enc, opencpn