Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2016, 23:10   #16

Re: Chartplotter selection advice

Be sure to consider what the plotter accepts for charts. One reason I chose Raymarine is because it takes charts from a variety of providers.

I think you'll get lots of opinions, and even what I'm about to say will be debated, but here's my two cents' worth: All marine electronics are either junk or could become junk at any moment after a few years (let's say five to be generous). Keep that in mind.

Oh, and if you have a nearby electronics provider (a local dealer) who you have experience with and who you trust to give good service, buy whatever they sell. Pay more for that.
Lantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 18:55   #17

Re: Chartplotter selection advice

UPDATE:

6/19/2016

A BIG 'thank you' to those who have taken their time to help with advice! THANK YOU! Leaning toward a (7" MFD Chartplotter) for my 30' cruiser. I'd like larger..but..yikes! They get expensive. Then add radar and, and, and..

No purchase..yet..

Another requirement has been added:

The ability to look forward. B&G and Simrad have "Forward Scan" ability. The transducer is $600-700. It connects to the 5", 7" and >+ chartplotters $500-700 >+

I have started some research as to forums commenting on the use of this ability and particularly from B&G/Simrad on cruisers and have found few answers.

If anyone has experience with this ability from any maker..please voice your opinion here. Any / all advice, thoughts, etc. is/are appreciated!

Thanks!
Peaceful is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chartplotter