Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2011, 08:04   #1

Boat: Nantucket Islander, 38
Cheap SSB Receiver Update, Please

I see a lot of good comments on the Kaito KA1103 and equivalent -- I was about to order one today but saw the DE1123 and was curious if that would be a decent alternative? Looks smaller.....Radio Gods enlighten me please!

Which things matter when looking for weather in the Caribbean? The shotwave bands? Long Wave?

World Receiver with MP3 Player and recorder, DSP Radio DE1123
Super Radio KA1121 with MP3 Player says it has fine tuning capabilities?

Thanks!

Brian
brianontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 16:26   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
FM and good language skills.

You can get weather from the Internet.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 02:59   #3

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
When buying a radio there are two technical characteristics (as opposed to features) to be aware of: sensitivity and selectivity. Sensitivity is a measure of ability to receive weak signals. Selectivity is a measure of ability to avoid interference from adjacent, unwanted strong signals. There are lots of other characteristics of course but those two are fundamental. I suggest reading the reviews at eham.net for the radios you are considering.

As far as features, to listen to shortwave voice weather forecasts you need AM in the shortwave (SW) / high frequency (HF) bands (different terms, same meaning). Make sure the particular frequencies you care about are covered by the radio - there are gaps in coverage on some models. See USCG HF Voice

Single-sideband (SSB) for the medium frequency (MF) and high frequency (HF or SW) adds tremendous capability. With SSB you will be able to listen to radio nets on the marine HF and ham HF bands. This nets include such worthies as Chris Parker and Herb Hilgenberg. See the list of nets at Pactor-II/III Radio Modem sales, FCC License filing, Marine SSB & HAM Radio Net schedules &amp frequencies.. Add a simple cable between the radio and a laptop with free software like JVCOMM (JVComm32 - FAX SSTV RTTY SYNOP NAVTEX Programm -+-) and you can receive a wide range of weather products including synoptic charts. See the NOAA link above and use Google to search for rfax.pdf - the listing of all weather fax (WEFAX or Radiofax) transmitters worldwide. The DE1123 does NOT have SSB as near as I can see.

The MP3 player with a recording feature is quite handy. Understanding voice forecasts is easier if you can replay them a few times, particularly as you begin gaining experience. It can be hard to keep up with the mix of latitude and longitude and geographic descriptions for one forecast or another and descriptions of where cold fronts are and will be.

Regardless of what radio you select you will get drastically improved performance with an external antenna. It doesn't have to be fancy - a long run of bell wire hauled up by the topping lift is a dandy start. Make sure your radio accommodates an external antenna.

Depending on your cruising plans you may have regular Internet access which does make a lot of weather products readily available.

Normal AM and FM broadcast radio generally have weather forecasts although they tend to be narrowly focused and only extend for a day or so; I find them to be inadequate.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 06:41   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
When buying a radio there are two technical characteristics (as opposed to features) ...
How do YOU differentiate between characteristics & features?

FEATURE
A feature is any aspect, element, or part of a product.
FUNCTION
What does it do?
BENEFIT
Why should you have it?

My car is equipped with anti-lock brakes (feature).
In the event of an emergency braking situation you fully depress the brake pedal to the floor, without “pumping”(function).
The anti-lock brake system is designed to bring you to a complete and straight stop, without allowing the wheels to lock up & skid. This prevents loss of control, and avoids sliding off the highway or into oncoming traffic (benefit).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 07:16   #5

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
How do YOU differentiate between characteristics & features?
A truly outstanding question. Coming off back-to-back watches and made breakfast so bear with me please.

A feature in my mind is something that the item in question can do at any level. The technical performance of that feature is what I described as a characteristic. If there is a better vocabulary I'd be very happy to adopt it.

So AM, FM, SSB are features. The radio can do it or not. The technical characteristics (is there a better word? specifications?) describe how well those features are implemented.

I'll let my contribution go at that for now -- please let me know if it makes sense and after I've had some rest I'll be happy to respond.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, ssb