Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2014, 01:23   #1
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Choose Stargazer’s New Nav Order

I held off buying equipment last year as the push to Touch screen was all too confusing and researching thru CF Threads and other Forums I am still trying to get a clear picture.

Using Furuno as an example… Navnet-3d vs TzT 14”Touch
Furuno Navnet 3d or TZtouch - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum
From comments in various Forums it appears that they have forsaken the navNet 3d upgrades for TzT touch developments and with the $1500 rebate….. a bit more attractive….
Q….So those who have bought Furuno…. If you were choosing Furuno today…. Would you go with TzT?

Functionally I know what I want, but recent threads on AIS indicates that I just don’t have the latest updated info in Asia on where the various Manufacturers’ developments are in 2014 and have yet to find any real time user’s consensus in manufacturer choice, before I commit to the big bucks.

My present configuration:
In Cockpit
I have at helm individual instruments but no chart or Radar display
At cockpit seating I have a Chart monitor slaved from laptop inside pilothouse to show charting info while on watch

What I want:
Replace with a 12-14” MFD for cockpit station that brings in all the data to the main steering helm.
Specifically Radar/AIS/Wind Info/Depth/Heading/Speed/Engine data.
I like that Chart Monitor feature by cockpit seating as it is comfortable for 2nd person to monitor progress while relaxing

In Pilothouse
Portside is primarily equipment monitoring so it will stay as is except new Radar/AIS Monitor will be outside in MFD
Stbd side I will replace old Logic Instruments with a few redundant nav instruments and a new navigation laptop

What I want:
Pilothouse is my comfortable planning and route building station, so navigational Laptop should wirelessly interface with MFD to download and back up routes and tracks.

Q… Is that how a PC to MFD connection works?

Q…..Is the built in wireless LAN of FURUNO available also in other Brands. Are any of them better than Furuno?

http://www.panbo.com/archives/2012/1...lectronics+Hub)

Q….Read a thread about trouble configuring Open CPN to Furuno TzT…. And MaxSea ……Anyone with updates?

A key decision point for me is to find a reliable system that will be supported with software updates in the next 5-10 years.

This Furuno update video shows how they plan to update in the future.
Software Update | FURUNO NavNet TZtouch

Q…is this now standard with all brands??…. Seems like this will be a game changer for updated software

Please help me to re-design and achieve an updated nav instrument system for StarGazer…..Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 cockpit.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	83784   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 cockpit DSC_0951 measure.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	389.3 KB
ID:	83785  

Name:	3 Chart Monitor DSC_0045.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	393.4 KB
ID:	83786   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 Port Console.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	83787  

Name:	5 Stbd Console..JPG
Views:	186
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	83788  
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 05:06   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Choose Stargazer’s New Nav Order

Quote:
Q….So those who have bought Furuno…. If you were choosing Furuno today…. Would you go with TzT?
I purchased the Navn3D after the TzT came out. At the time the TzT was significantly more expensive. Furuno was saying that they were going to continue to upgrade the Navnet3D for years to come. In practice, it looks like the Navnet3D will not get many new features, as all the dev effort goes into the TzT. I don't really want a touch screen in the cockpit, but I think I'd go Tzt instead of Navnet3D at this point, as this is what is being currently updated. The Navnet3D is a great radar, a decent chartplotter and a so-so AIS display.
Old 26-06-2014, 05:59   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Thanks Paul.

I hear you on the touchscreen but am finding out if this remote controller is waterproof to use in the cockpit
http://www.allatsea.net/furuno-intro...avnet-tztouch/
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 06:19   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Adding the remote might make it more palatable. Either way, you'll get used to what you have. The $1500 rebate till June 30th makes the pricing a lot more reasonable. At some point you just have to pull the trigger and live with what you buy. I wonder with these rebates if there is an updated HW platform coming soon for TzT.

Tags
gaz