Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2018, 09:35   #256

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Class B AIS waste of money

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
no chart plotter I actually have a minimum of electronics on the boat . A vhf , a multimeter, depth sounder and basic wind instruments. Don't want to add any more to the boat however with the advent of AIS I decided it would be a good and worthy addition to my onboard systems ( i am looking for a stand alone unit . ( I am a ham so install would be simple enough ) doing mast work is not an issue for me ) however if I don't need an additional antenna I would rather not install it.

My boat is my escape from the modern tech world. ( for when I need a break for a couple weeks or months .
That's fine, and in my opinion you've got your priorities straight to do AIS before chart plotter.

In this case, you want either a freestanding unit with its own screen, or a black box unit used with with a tablet, or a laptop using OpenCPN. OpenCPN has by far the best display of targets, but a laptop is more or less unusable in the cockpit.

If you're a ham, then we don't need to tell you anything about antenna installation.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 12-01-2018, 09:56   #257

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Given the expertise around here I suspect this has already been covered but, if not, what is the consensus concerning these new "wide link" units that claim improved distance & reliability? Worth pursuing if starting from scratch?

https://www.milltechmarine.com/AMEC-...der_p_392.html

Newhaul - the link above is another distributor from which I have had good results purchasing a couple of receiver-only units over the years. Good tech support over the phone if needed, and pricing that's generally competitive with outlets like Defender, etc.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:13   #258

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Given the expertise around here I suspect this has already been covered but, if not, what is the consensus concerning these new "wide link" units that claim improved distance & reliability? Worth pursuing if starting from scratch?

Newhaul - the link above is another distributor from which I have had good results purchasing a couple of receiver-only units over the years. Good tech support over the phone if needed, and pricing that's generally competitive with outlets like Defender, etc.
SOTDMA Class "B" is far superior to TDMA Class "B". Here's a good article: https://www.panbo.com/archives/2015/...iddle_way.html. More power, more frequent position reports, and better scheme of organization of the transmissions. What Class "B" should have been in the first place.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 12-01-2018, 10:46   #259

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
SOTDMA Class "B" is far superior to TDMA Class "B". Here's a good article: https://www.panbo.com/archives/2015/...iddle_way.html. More power, more frequent position reports, and better scheme of organization of the transmissions. What Class "B" should have been in the first place.
Thanks for the info & the link Dock. I've been using receive-only units but plan on installing a transceiver before the next significant passage. I suspect Vesper and other reputable brands will eventually have offerings as well if they don't already. I'll read up on this.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:59   #260

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post

This is a relatively new design I think so not discussed too much. The tech of that unit will be the future for most class B units. Milltech has a good rep too.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:55   #261
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Well guys thanks for all the info . I would be willing to put good money on if I had starp free a new thread I would not have gotten near as much input as I have here . Thanks again SV Stephfen Ulysses
Old 12-01-2018, 15:13   #262

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
My experience is that many ships haven't seen me until I radio them. But, I definitely don't think they are a waste of money, they are right up there on my must have list.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Agreed. You call them to make sure they can see you on AIS and they will then set the equipment to look... no big deal and a huge advantage that you can call them by name and they can call you by name.
Old 12-01-2018, 18:13   #263

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Do you have a reasonably new (<10 years) chart plotter capable of displaying AIS targets?

If you do, the you just need is a black box AIS like this one:

https://www.defender.com/product3.js...908&id=1849984

You can find them still much cheaper if you shop around.

You will need to connect it to your chart plotter via NMEA 0183, or just plug it into an NMEA2000 network if you have one. That's simple.

Then you need to arrange 12v power for it -- also pretty simple.

All of these units have built in GPS receivers, and a socket for attaching in external antenna. You will normally not need an external antenna for the GPS receiver depending on where you install the unit.

The somewhat more complex part of installation of an AIS transceiver is to arrange a good antenna for it. Like with any radio, the antenna is a crucial element. Ideally you should have a separate antenna for it, one specially tuned for AIS, but that may be very complicated and/or expensive if your mast is up. Alternatively, you can use an antenna splitter like this one: https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...655&id=1850004.

Everything having to do with antennas needs to be done with quality coax cable (if required; probably won't need any if you use a splitter) and quality connectors, well installed. That's the one part of the job where you might want a pro (or a skillful friend) to help you if you don't have this skill.

If you don't have an AIS-ready chart plotter, then you might want a standalone AIS unit, like this one: https://www.defender.com/product3.js...911&id=1567798. Vespers are supposed to be great units, but the downside is you need a place to put it.

The third alternative is to use an AIS transponder which has a wifi interface to a tablet, like this one: https://www.defender.com/product3.js...908&id=2135822. I don't like this as much because a piece of consumer electronics like a tablet is not ideal for use for a critical function like this in the cockpit, but some people are happy with it. An advantage of this particular unit.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. Notwithstanding some of the comments made in this thread, AIS is a Godsend for any sailor who sails anywhere near ship traffic. You will be really glad you installed it.

I installed the Vesper XB8000. Mine can connect to any plotter via NMEA cables so it’s wired to my helm plotter. But my nav station plotter is an ipad so nice to have the wifi function as well. Also allows for redundancy and the ipad can go in the microwave during t storms....
Old 12-01-2018, 18:40   #264

Quote:
Ok what exactly do I need to install AIS transceiver on my defender I am looking for specifics as far as what I will need . ( cheapest way to do it ) fixed income ) I'm an engineer not an ET.
I installed an Icom AIS-B on my boat; used an antenna splitter (good ones ain't cheap!). Dead easy. And I'm not an engineer or an ET.

If you have a recent fancy pants chart plotter, you can get a unit that will use that as the display.

My last boat had an AIS-B unit that operated intermittently. Having a good one on my latest boat was a priority, so I installed it before anything else. It's a liability that not all boats have AIS transmitters -- sailing in BC over the summer I was really surprised at how few boats had them -- but at least those that do (the big ones, generally) are more likely to see me and vice versa. A useful thing is that the unit has the other boat's course and speed. That's often impossible to determine just by looking at another boat. However, there's no substitute for eyeballs, at least legally.
Old 12-01-2018, 19:50   #265
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantau View Post
I installed an Icom AIS-B on my boat; used an antenna splitter (good ones ain't cheap!). Dead easy. And I'm not an engineer or an ET.

If you have a recent fancy pants chart plotter, you can get a unit that will use that as the display.

My last boat had an AIS-B unit that operated intermittently. Having a good one on my latest boat was a priority, so I installed it before anything else. It's a liability that not all boats have AIS transmitters -- sailing in BC over the summer I was really surprised at how few boats had them -- but at least those that do (the big ones, generally) are more likely to see me and vice versa. A useful thing is that the unit has the other boat's course and speed. That's often impossible to determine just by looking at another boat. However, there's no substitute for eyeballs, at least legally.
I try not to have any unnecessary electronics on my boats. However I consider an AIS transceiver a necessary augmentation to the mark 1 eyeball.
Old 13-01-2018, 05:27   #266

It really is pretty funny how a post about how "Class B AIS is a waste of money" has turned into a post about "how do I add Class B AIS to my boat".

I'd say the original assertion has been rejected.
Old 13-01-2018, 06:35   #267
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Well guys thanks for all the info . I would be willing to put good money on if I had starp free a new thread I would not have gotten near as much input as I have here . Thanks again SV Stephfen Ulysses

Sorry came to the party late. If you get an AIS transponder with WiFi, such as Vesper, then the AIS data can display on your smart phone, or on you tablet. I use iNavx and Vesper on my iPad on my personal boat. The iPad display is a de facto second chartplotter.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 13-01-2018, 13:38   #268
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Let's discuss the topic, and not the OP. Please?
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Old 13-01-2018, 15:05   #269
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

We feel a time out is required for this thread. A small recess even. I will close this thread on your behalf so you can gather your individual thoughts and reframe the commentary in a nice way.

The mods will consider the content and decide in due course whether or not CF rules can be adhered to and thus continue.

We take the be nice rule very seriously.
Closed Thread

Tags
ais, money