Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2014, 12:09   #1

Boat: Dufour 12000ct 45 Ketch
Cleaning oxidized terminals?

Hi everyone,

When I plug in my multifunction to the terminals at the upper helm, it sometimes works and sometimes doesnt. Upon visual inspection, it looks like there is quite a bit of oxidation inside the female connectors. Unfortunately, the previous owner neglected the boat for a while before I bought it. I would like to find a way to clean off the oxidation inside the connectors, but I don't want to screw anything up. Any suggestions? Thanks! -- Phil
SailingTerrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 12:13   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Cleaning oxidized terminals?

There are several, this is one that should be easy to find, but any electronics store will have some form of cleaner
Contact Cleaner | Electrical Contact Cleaner & Contact Spray
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 13:02   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Are these connectors pins and sockets or something different?

Small sockets are extremely difficult to clean and sometimes won't provide a secure connection where you need electrical continuity no matter what you do. Replacement is then required.

Pins can be cleaned with a fine stainless steel or a fine brass wire brush.

For displacing any water in the future therefore stopping oxidation and preserving any rubber O-rings or other rubber seals, I like using silicone grease which does not cause rubber to swell or weaken, like petroleum based substances can cause, such as Vaseline.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 14:19   #4

Boat: Dufour 12000ct 45 Ketch

David,

Yes they are pins and sockets. Actually they are the connections for my ray c80 chartplotter. Any hope for cleaning those? I was hoping not to have to replace and re-run the wires. Thanks
SailingTerrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 06:06   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Use the contact cleaner as previously suggested. Also clean the male pins. Apply something like CRC electrical lubricant and plug and unplug several times. I'm willing to bet you will see a big improvement and if you keep the connections coated you may not have a problem in the future. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 06:28   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
For displacing any water in the future therefore stopping oxidation and preserving any rubber O-rings or other rubber seals, I like using silicone grease which does not cause rubber to swell or weaken
Not all silicone lubes are created equally. Some have additives that do cause problems. Dow Corning 111 (available from Grainger) is one of the safe ones.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 07:01   #7

Contact/switch cleaner spray is good, keep plugging and unplugging connectors to wear away the corrosion products. Adding valve-grinding paste helps if deposits are stubborn. Remove all traces afterwards.

A useful tool for really tiny sockets is known (in the UK anyway) as a "tip cleaner set" - intended for cleaning jets in oxy-acetylene torches and mig welding tips. Snip off the smooth part for "blind hole" type sockets.
Set has different sizes: Gas and Mig Welding Tip Nozzle Cleaner Set - In Folding Metal Case | eBay
Like tiny little round files smaller than sewing needles but not hard and brittle like files. Lots of uses, wouldnt be without a set.

Takes care, patience and a good magnifier but works if enough contact metal remains. If the pins & sockets are weakened by the corrosion it's critical to ensure that adjacent terminals are not bridged.
Corrosion products are conductive so use contact spray can or solvent and compressed air to flush away all debris afterwards. Protect your eyes.
bornyesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 07:11   #8

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

DeoxIt D5 Stuff works great for cleaning and de-oxidizing contacts. They also have some protective products, but I've never used them so I don't know if they add anything. Hope it helps.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 08:32   #9

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
Not all silicone lubes are created equally. Some have additives that do cause problems. Dow Corning 111 (available from Grainger) is one of the safe ones.
We generally keep some silicone dielectric grease on hand from a local electrical supply. CRC Makes one. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning