Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2006, 23:27   #16

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
What your autopilot will or won't do will depend on what model you have. I'm no remotely qualified on the subject, but afaik, most will sail a course where you give it a heading (i.e. a compass course), some will maintain a course relative to the winf (which presupposes that your autopilot will speak to your wind instruments, some will maintain a course set by your plotter (which presupposes that your autopilot will speak to your plotter). In theory, most boat instruments are supposed to speak to each other, but in practice, this is not generally true.

Given that there will always be 2 people on watch, I would guess that you will use your autopilot for very short stints, to allow the 2 people to do something that might otherwise be difficult to achieve with one person unable to leave the wheel...putting in a reef, for example, or changing a headsail... other than that, you might as well be steering - long deliveries provide a good learning opportunity.

Frankly, if youhave paper charts and a hand held gps, you are set... everything else is a bonus.

Enjoy your trip - I'm sure you will!
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2006, 23:47   #17

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
What your autopilot will or won't do will depend on what model you have. I'm no remotely qualified on the subject, but afaik, most will sail a course where you give it a heading (i.e. a compass course), some will maintain a course relative to the winf (which presupposes that your autopilot will speak to your wind instruments, some will maintain a course set by your plotter (which presupposes that your autopilot will speak to your plotter). In theory, most boat instruments are supposed to speak to each other, but in practice, this is not generally true.

Given that there will always be 2 people on watch, I would guess that you will use your autopilot for very short stints, to allow the 2 people to do something that might otherwise be difficult to achieve with one person unable to leave the wheel...putting in a reef, for example, or changing a headsail... other than that, you might as well be steering - long deliveries provide a good learning opportunity.

Frankly, if youhave paper charts and a hand held gps, you are set... everything else is a bonus.

Enjoy your trip - I'm sure you will!
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2006, 07:34   #18
smm

Boat: Farrier F41 Catamaran - Endless Summer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenda
Hi
I have a raymarine C520 chartplotter on the boat we have just bought but no cmaps. I rang cmap distributers her is Australia and they say that cmapNT+ has not been updated and is not likely to be updated and that I shoudl buy a new chartplotter!!! [...]
So my question is what do I do? We have to get the boat from Sydney to Adelaide and will have the paper charts but would like to use the autopilot as well
What is the linkage between the autopilot and chart plotter? Why would you
be using the autopilot near nav aids? Just create a waypoint 5 miles off
the coast (existing charts, paper or electronic should be fine). When you
get there, finish up on manual. If you're unsure of the nav aids for a
harbour bar, just call the local VMR or harbour master.

-Scott
smm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 03:41   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
C-Map will become part of Jeppesen Marine, following it’s acquisition by The Boeing Company. Jeppesen, who also owns Nobeltec, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Boeing Commercial Aviation Services.
More: http://www.jeppesen.com/wlcs/index.j...ss_081806.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:17   #20

Boat: C&C 27
Real Bad News???

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay
C-Map will become part of Jeppesen Marine, following it’s acquisition by The Boeing Company.
Does anyone have experience with Jeppeson? My (I'll admit limited) experience with Boeing is that they have a bureaucracy that surpasses the Fed. I would hate to see C-Map's recreational products get lost in the shuffle.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:20   #21

Boat: Bayfield 36
jepp has been around for a long time producing aviation maps and charts they are the leaders and have obviously taken steps to be a monopoly!
wind rose ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:56   #22

Boat: Bayliner 2556
I've found the MapTech chartbooks very handy and reletively inexpensive on Ebay. Despite the gee wizz eletronics, I still use the charts, expecially the morning of the trip, spread out on the dining table, with coffee and bagel in hand.
Craig Harlamoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:20   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
There really is no future for C-Map. It's a dead format mostly for reasons that have nothing to do with updates. It was easy to pirate the charts. Too easy. No one will invest in them . All the compaines that used to subscribe to the charts no longer do so. The current trend is gfor larger companies to buy up smaller ones so they can remove them from the market place.

ENC is the only internationally recognized electronic format for ships required to manitain charts - period. Nothing else counts. You can download new US chart updates on almost a daily basis as far as some chart somewhere is updated. They show up for work to do the job.

Hardware manufactures do not support the standard in all the new devices because they want to sell data too. They also want to be very sure you can't copy it and give it away to your friends. So you get a great deal on a new chart plotter til you find out the Navonics chips sell for $184 for the gold and $500 for thre platinum. A full set of new US paper charts for every place will probably set you back about $3,000. The ENC charts just take a download. So in the overall virew the chartplotter is worthless compared to the maps.

All charts are a little bit out of date and a little bit wrong. The navigator has to know that maps are never perfect. Naviagtion with imprecise data is a process of navigation and piloting. It is about confirmation of as many things as possible until when noticed the chart is clearly in error. It may happen before you run a ground or not. It's the only way you can travel on the water. You go around places a lot of the time because you don't trust the map.

C-Map charts can be purchased on eBay. Out of date charts are quite usefull. No one really can afford 100% up to date charts. Commercial ships at sea are required under international law to maintain up to date charts - so they do. Recreational baots are not required to do so, but it is well advised that you spend money for good charts.

Even Magellan would have acquired better charts if he could have. As it ws it did cost many lives and some chips.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2006, 09:31   #24

Old Style C-Map carts

I have a GPS MAP 200, old style chart plotter,. Must be about 1995 vintage.

I need a cartridge that covers Gibraltar area.

So if any one has an old cartridge, or information if a new cartridge can be converted to the old format it would be appreciated.

E Mail please if possible: Bumz_Rush@hotmail.com

Thanks, in advance: Ian
ibeattieedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2006, 09:36   #25

even older C-Map cartridge needed

I have posted a new thread, but wish to add on here,t hat I have cicra 1995 plotter, that used the old style C-MAP 3.5 in x 2.5 in x .5 in.

I need to cover the Gibraltar area, and if you can provide any information or even supply one, I would be a very happy chappy.

Ian
Old 27-11-2006, 01:54   #26

Thumbs up Ordered from C map, hope all resolved

The tech department has the coverage available, on and can copy on to my chip.

So I hope all is resolved.

Thanks guys.