Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2020, 05:58   #91

Boat: Lancer 27PS
Re: Coast Guard Safety Alert: LED lights interfere with VHF & AIS radios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-TechSystems View Post
AIS is far lower power compared with a VHF radio and will be impacted earlier.
Are you referring to the AIS radio receiver's sensitivity, or SINAD? Or specifically the output power of an AIS transmitter? Granted the LED is producing more hash (broadband noise) than a regular light bulb, but there is a relationship between the hash output power and the AIS/VHF antenna distance. But we all know that manufactures will always skew the results in their favor, as previously mentioned above; marketing.
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 23:30   #92

Boat: Lightwave 45

I know this topic has been covered. I am just promoting this post by nofacey because I have just experienced *exactly* the same thing, with *exactly* the same Sam Allen led bulbs(?) in a tricolour/anchor masthead stack (Aquasignal).

So, Australian buyers beware.

These lights are not cheap, so I will be discussing the issue with the chandlery I have just bought them from. I am expecting to receive just a blank stare in response, unfortunately...

Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofacey View Post
Navigation LED that DOES cause AIS interference. Used in AquaSignal stacked masthead tricolour/anchor light, masthead VHF/AIS antennae on a splitter.

Sam Allen branded Navigation LED bulb out of Australia - package pics attached.
- was so happy finding this replacement for a weak/progressively failing led - very bright, plus appeared better contained, so hopefully longer lasting.

Unfortunately, I turned masthead on with AIS already displaying multiple vessel around us, and immediately lost all AIS vessels. Very repeatable.
Signals would return after a period, but were much more erratic & prone to dropping.

Great for masthead anchor light, not so much Tricolour.
Karanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:13   #93

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Marine Beam has an Aqua Signal Tricolor replacement

https://store.marinebeam.com/aqua-si...lacement-bulb/

We too have dozens of their PWM regulated LED replacements. Marine Beam was aware of and addressing RF interference years ago. We have no trouble with their replacements.

I have had trouble with all We$t marine replacement LEDs we tried. Short life was my biggest beef.

I installed one of their masthead units (anchor light, tricolor, strobe) last year and wondering if anyone has real world experience as well. Mine was fine but we didn’t do much night sailing with tricolor last year
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, led lights, radio, safety, vhf