Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 09:59   #1

Combining Different Coax

Just finished my two week trip into the Canadian Gulf Islands and noticed I kept getting a error code saying my antenna VSWR is high/background AIS noise is high. I use a electric splitter for VHF and AIS to a single antenna. I have a coax connection in the cabin under the mast step (cabin stepped) that I found very corroded connections (two male with barrel connector). I cut out the connectors and resoldered them as a temporary fix. It eliminated the error but I noticed I had poor VHF performance (not able to hear weather or normal traffic ) I am going to replace the old connectors with new solder connectors but I would like to replace the coax also. I will not be replacing the section within the mast due to logistics but would like to replace the section within the boat. I'm looking at LMR- 400. Any issues with combining old with new other than performance loss of the old? Which connectors would your recommend.
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:58   #2

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: Combining Different Coax

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoncho View Post
Just finished my two week trip into the Canadian Gulf Islands and noticed I kept getting a error code saying my antenna VSWR is high/background AIS noise is high. I use a electric splitter for VHF and AIS to a single antenna. I have a coax connection in the cabin under the mast step (cabin stepped) that I found very corroded connections (two male with barrel connector). I cut out the connectors and resoldered them as a temporary fix. It eliminated the error but I noticed I had poor VHF performance (not able to hear weather or normal traffic ) I am going to replace the old connectors with new solder connectors but I would like to replace the coax also. I will not be replacing the section within the mast due to logistics but would like to replace the section within the boat. I'm looking at LMR- 400. Any issues with combining old with new other than performance loss of the old? Which connectors would your recommend.

How did the indoor conn. get corroded? Did water get in mast coax & chase down the mast to this conn.? If yes,you will need to replace mast coax.& fittings.

Personally,I would use RG58CU from joint to radios-insignificant loss for that short distance.

Can you look inside "electric splitter" for corrosion?
Cheers/Len
Old Today, 11:08   #3

Re: Combining Different Coax

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
How did the indoor conn. get corroded? Did water get in mast coax & chase down the mast to this conn.? If yes,you will need to replace mast coax.& fittings.

Personally,I would use RG58CU from joint to radios-insignificant loss for that short distance.

Can you look inside "electric splitter" for corrosion?
Cheers/Len
40+ year of humidity, condensation and mast step leaks......The coax in the mast will not be replaced unless it totally fails due to access and the extensive through step seal/system I installed several years ago or until I unstep the mast. The splitter is isolated at the AIS/VHF with no possibility of water intrusion. Appreciate the input on the coax. The run is about 25 ft.
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote