Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2022, 18:27   #1

Boat: Passport 41
Combining nmea0183, 2k and SeaTalkNG devices

Hi folks,

I have a Vesper xb8000 into which I feed my instruments (depth/wind, nmea0183) data, and from there it goes (together with gps/AIS provided by the Vesper) to the tablet I use for navigation via a wifi network. The xb8000 also has USB and nmea0183 physical outputs.

Completely separate from that I have a raymarine ev-1 autopilot on a SeaTalkNG network.

I want to add a Maretron DSM410 display, but it sports only nmea2000.

Since I already have this STNG network, I thought the easier thing to do would be to connect the vespers output to the STNG network using a NMEA 0183 to STNG gateway, and then a STNG to NMEA2000 female adapter cable for the Maretron display. Does that make sense or is there a simpler way to go about it?

Thanks a bunch!
LifesBetterWhenYoureBeating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2022, 18:50   #2

Boat: Southerly 480
Re: Combining nmea0183, 2k and SeaTalkNG devices

You might want to take a look at the ITC-5 and move everything to STNG. NOTE: the raymarine 0183 to STng converter only supports a few PGNs such COG/SOG and location information.
shimari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2022, 19:32   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimari View Post
You might want to take a look at the ITC-5 and move everything to STNG. NOTE: the raymarine 0183 to STng converter only supports a few PGNs such COG/SOG and location information.
I currently have my sensors connected to an airmar combiner and from there to the Vesper. If I understand correctly, with the itc-5 I'd have to connect the sensors to both the combiner and the itc-5 (so that I have their data on wifi and STNG), but I'd also need to get the GPS/AIS data from the Vesper converted to STNG.

The gateway I was looking at was the actisense ngw-1-stng, which I believe converts all PGNs
Old 26-10-2022, 19:58   #4

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifesBetterWhenYoureBeating View Post
Hi folks,

I have a Vesper xb8000 into which I feed my instruments (depth/wind, nmea0183) data, and from there it goes (together with gps/AIS provided by the Vesper) to the tablet I use for navigation via a wifi network. The xb8000 also has USB and nmea0183 physical outputs.

Completely separate from that I have a raymarine ev-1 autopilot on a SeaTalkNG network.

I want to add a Maretron DSM410 display, but it sports only nmea2000.

Since I already have this STNG network, I thought the easier thing to do would be to connect the vespers output to the STNG network using a NMEA 0183 to STNG gateway, and then a STNG to NMEA2000 female adapter cable for the Maretron display. Does that make sense or is there a simpler way to go about it?

Thanks a bunch!
NMEA2000 and SeatalkNG are exactly the same, except for the connectors. The vesper has NMEA2000, so just get an adapter cable and connect it to the STNG network. No converter needed. Same with the Maretron display, just get an adapter cable to STNG. Unfortunately, the Vesper will not translate the 0183 from your instruments to its NMEA2000 output, so you will need a separate converter to get them to nmea2000. The antisense gateway will work for that (I use several and highly recommend them)

The ITC-5 only works if you have a raymarine display that will program it. So it isn't an option for you unless you swap the Maretron for a Raymarine i70.

The vesper will translate _most_ of your NMEA2000 data over wifi. However, it won't convert the autopilot messages. If you want to be able to control your autopilot via your tablet or a PC, you will need something else for your wifi.
Old 26-10-2022, 19:59   #5

Quote:
I currently have my sensors connected to an airmar combiner and from there to the Vesper. If I understand correctly, with the itc-5 I'd have to connect the sensors to both the combiner and the itc-5 (so that I have their data on wifi and STNG), but I'd also need to get the GPS/AIS data from the Vesper converted to STNG.

The gateway I was looking at was the actisense ngw-1-stng, which I believe converts all PGNs
On the other hand, I've no real need for gps/AIS on STNG (and the actisense gateway doesn't convert AIS), and with the itc-5 I'd be bypassing the combiner and Vesper so if either failed I'd still have my sensors data on STNG

Only thing still unclear is whether the itc-5 works with my sensors: Airmar DST800 and PB100
Old 26-10-2022, 21:02   #6

connect the vesper nmea 2000 to the stng network and the DSM410. stng and nmea 2000 is the same thing just a different plug. i'm not sure what the 8000 will convert from the 183 input to the 2000 though.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2022, 22:38   #7

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
connect the vesper nmea 2000 to the stng network and the DSM410. stng and nmea 2000 is the same thing just a different plug. i'm not sure what the 8000 will convert from the 183 input to the 2000 though.
The vesper conversion is one way. It will convert nmes2000 to 0183, but not the other way. So a separate converter is needed

The ITC5 will probably work with the airmar sensors. It will NOT work without a raymarine i70 display on the network. The calibration data needs to come from an i70, so it won't work with the Maretron.

The actisense WILL convert AIS data. They sell 2 part numbers, an AIS version and non AIS version. They are exactly the same, but configured differently out of the box so they can sell a plug in play product. (different nmea bit rates and PGNs selected) but either can be flashed and converted to the other. The ais version converts everything else too, but is defaulted to 38400 instead of 4800. (flashing is not a simple procedure on these so order what you need, but know it can be changed later)

The STNG version is also exactly the same as the nmea2000 version, but includes a nmea2000 to stng adapter.
wholybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2022, 04:05   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Combining nmea0183, 2k and SeaTalkNG devices

The itc -5 is quite restricted largely aimed at legacy raymarine transducers. It has no NMEA 0183 functionality and as pointed out you need a i70
Old 27-10-2022, 04:48   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
The vesper conversion is one way. It will convert nmes2000 to 0183, but not the other way. So a separate converter is needed

The ITC5 will probably work with the airmar sensors. It will NOT work without a raymarine i70 display on the network. The calibration data needs to come from an i70, so it won't work with the Maretron.

The actisense WILL convert AIS data. They sell 2 part numbers, an AIS version and non AIS version. They are exactly the same, but configured differently out of the box so they can sell a plug in play product. (different nmea bit rates and PGNs selected) but either can be flashed and converted to the other. The ais version converts everything else too, but is defaulted to 38400 instead of 4800. (flashing is not a simple procedure on these so order what you need, but know it can be changed later)

The STNG version is also exactly the same as the nmea2000 version, but includes a nmea2000 to stng adapter.
Thanks for the explanation! Do you know if I'd be able to use the AIS version of the actisense to convert both my sensors data and AIS? Or is the baud rate going to cause problems? I'm wondering why they'd have a non-ais-enabled version if the ais-enabled one would work in both cases. Hmmm, maybe AIS transponders use a different baud rate? I guess I just need to match what I get to the Vesper
Old 27-10-2022, 04:49   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
The Vesper only broadcasts GPS/AIS over its NMEA2k output, so it's useless to me
Old 27-10-2022, 05:38   #11
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation! Do you know if I'd be able to use the AIS version of the actisense to convert both my sensors data and AIS? Or is the baud rate going to cause problems? I'm wondering why they'd have a non-ais-enabled version if the ais-enabled one would work in both cases. Hmmm, maybe AIS transponders use a different baud rate? I guess I just need to match what I get to the Vesper

Personally I think the yacht Devices gateway have the edge on actisense , buts that’s just my opinion as I have both
Old 27-10-2022, 05:52   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Personally I think the yacht Devices gateway have the edge on actisense , buts that’s just my opinion as I have both
For build quality? Performance? Or something else?
Old 27-10-2022, 05:56   #13
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
For build quality? Performance? Or something else?

The gateway is very configurable , comprehensive and seems to work well. It’s a smaller device as well.
Old 27-10-2022, 06:10   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The gateway is very configurable , comprehensive and seems to work well. It’s a smaller device as well.
No extra software needed for configuration! Diagnostics built-in! I'm sold
Old 27-10-2022, 09:31   #15

Boat: Southerly 480

As GBN pointed out, the ITC-5 won't work for you. It would work with your DST800 (what I had on my last boat), but not the PB100.

The yacht devices gateway is likely your best bet.
shimari is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
nmea, seatalk