Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2010, 15:44   #16

Boat: deboated
The extras like weather grib files made seamail via SSB an excellent service and well worth the money. I found the Sat phone unreliable and more importantly charges always seemed to exceed my calculated figure.
Markj - I am disappointed as I thought you were a budget sailor, with a sat phone????
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 15:48   #17

Boat: a sailing boat
Expensive, but quality and part of the GMDSS.

The new Inmarsat phone rumoured at 600-700 with 1USD per minute calls. No data at first.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 17:14   #18

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Whatever way you go to get GRIBS and emails etc, make sure you never publish your email address somewhere where a bot can harvest it off the net and start sending you spam. Make sure your friends understand the score as well.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 12:29   #19

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36
Fortunately, when using the amateur radio Winlink system, you have some spam protection. Winlink will not forward an email to you unless you have either sent an email to that address yourself, or you have manually placed that email address on your whitelist. And if you start getting spam from an email address you had previously sent email to, you can always remove it from your whitelist.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 14:54   #20

Hi All,

And no matter which comm you use do not stop at GRIBs - do make yourself a service and get those NOAA 'radiofaxes' or even text - they are just GREAT source of weather info. In my own and very biased opinion - better than the grib (and sure if both can be had - bliss...).

The NOAA server sends them by request, free of charge as e-mail attachement - very easy, very, very fine stuff. GBA! ;-)

barnie
Old 15-05-2010, 19:28   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Some people don't know this, but with Saildocs (Home Page) not only can you "suscribe" to GRIB files, but also the the NOAA wfax charts and text forecasts. The wfax charts are compressed versions of what you can download from the NOAA website -- still very readable and quite a bit smaller.

You *don't* have to be a member of SailMail in order to use the Saildocs service. They will email them to a satphone account, for example. The Saildocs subscription sends you your selected files automatically, which is pretty convenient. It's free, too.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 19:31   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Hi All,

And no matter which comm you use do not stop at GRIBs - do make yourself a service and get those NOAA 'radiofaxes' or even text - they are just GREAT source of weather info. In my own and very biased opinion - better than the grib (and sure if both can be had - bliss...).

The NOAA server sends them by request, free of charge as e-mail attachement - very easy, very, very fine stuff. GBA! ;-)

barnie
I may be wrong but NOAA do not cover the world as in The World not the US World We found Grib files more accurate as they covered smaller area, but for longer range the faxes are the way to go.
Old 16-05-2010, 17:35   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
I may be wrong but NOAA do not cover the world as in The World not the US World We found Grib files more accurate as they covered smaller area, but for longer range the faxes are the way to go.
As far as I read the original post correct, the boat is sailing Florida to Sweden.

You say you found the grib files more accurate. More accurate than what? You are not comparing gribs with radiofax, are you? Too me, they are complementary, NOT "either / or" sources.

IMHO, funds and technical equipment permitting, the weather analysis should always start with reading the radiofax analysis and then go on to overlaying the gribs with the map / our position, and seeing what the numerical prediction models "think" the situation will develop into. I also compare the grib information with radiofax forecast - if only to see what the alternative scenarios are.

But to each their own - if you resolve to use gribs solely you simply have one source of information less.

barnie
Old 16-05-2010, 18:40   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
As far as I read the original post correct, the boat is sailing Florida to Sweden.

You say you found the grib files more accurate. More accurate than what? You are not comparing gribs with radiofax, are you? Too me, they are complementary, NOT "either / or" sources.

IMHO, funds and technical equipment permitting, the weather analysis should always start with reading the radiofax analysis and then go on to overlaying the gribs with the map / our position, and seeing what the numerical prediction models "think" the situation will develop into. I also compare the grib information with radiofax forecast - if only to see what the alternative scenarios are.

But to each their own - if you resolve to use gribs solely you simply have one source of information less.

barnie
No that is not what I meant if that's the way you read it!
Old 17-05-2010, 08:42   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
No that is not what I meant if that's the way you read it!
No offence meant! none take either ;-).

Just discussing the point.

Love,
barnie
Old 17-05-2010, 12:14   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
If you want cheap, Ham radio is by far the lowest cost long range communication. You can be up and running for under a $1,000 with new equipment or less with used. Email capability is another $800 or so for the modem. Email service is free. You do have to pass a test but it's useful information that you'll need to learn for it. No longer a code requirement.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ocean crossing