Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2022, 18:00   #1

Boat: Gulfstar Independence 52
ComNav autopilot cable connectors, replacing and repair

I have a ComNav Autopilot 1001 which was recently vandalized. The "Main" cable (connects the controller to the distribution box) and the "Compass" cable (connected to a fluxgate compass) were cut about 4 inches from the controller. I could not find any parts list for ordering replacement plugs (connectors) or cables. The installation was originally done in 1995.

My options appear to be: 1. install new cable connectors (plugs) on the remaining cables, 2. replace the "Main" and "Compass" cables completely.

I contacted ComNav via email and got a brief response that I could use the following two items to repair the MAIN and Compass cables:
MAIN (1001 distribution box) has 10’ cable w/ plug p/n 31110015 (can be solder to the PCB) US$ 263.52 MSRP.
Compass ( Magnetic or Fluxgate?) 10’ cable w/ plug p/n 31110020 US$ 161.30 MSRP.
I can not find either of the two parts for sale.

Also, ComNav specifically states "splicing the compass cable is NOT recommended" and the above item would require a splice to the existing cable.

The Main cable uses a 12-pin connector and the compass uses a 7-pin connector.

Does anyone know where to order replacement connectors? Or a good supplier of ComNav parts and advice?

Thank you,

Scott
SV RED SKY
Scott_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 20:26   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: ComNav autopilot cable connectors, replacing and repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_K View Post

Does anyone know where to order replacement connectors? Or a good supplier of ComNav parts and advice?

Thank you,

Scott

SV RED SKY
Why not buy direct from COMNAV? (I did....) COMNAV also provided excellent advice (it helped that I could actually visit them in their facility in Richmond BC).

Great autopilots.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:06   #3

Boat: Gulfstar Independence 52

Quote:
Why not buy direct from COMNAV? (I did....) COMNAV also provided excellent advice (it helped that I could actually visit them in their facility in Richmond BC).
They do not have parts for sale on their website. Or even a list of available parts with part numbers.

I tried to email support but only got one brief response. I am currently waiting (8days) on another email.
Scott_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:27   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_K View Post
They do not have parts for sale on their website. Or even a list of available parts with part numbers.

I tried to email support but only got one brief response. I am currently waiting (8days) on another email.
Try these:
ahsen@comnav.com
satish@comnav.com

Not "service"... higher up.

Be very clear in your needs.

Also consider phone call.

Don't mention me... [emoji848]
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 08:39   #5
rla

I have had to do the same as someone had cut the cable rather than work out how to remove the plug from the unit !!
It's not difficult to join colour to colour by a terminal block or if you are able soldering and sleeving each core with heat shrink.

I would like to find a repair method or replacement LCD screen as it has faded to invisibile in most lights.

Beware of the plastic that Comnav use, it self destructs if shown sunlight and they don't carry spares !!
rla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, repair