Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2016, 20:36   #16
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21
Re: Computer monitor: 12vdc, energy efficient, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
Laughs, as had I not read the thread, I've have suggested you contact Bob (immediately above) as he knows everything there is to know about computing aboard.

Not insignificantly, he is the king of customer service, and despite my being able on my own, has built the original, and more lately, the replacement computer aboard Flying Pig, provided the WiFi system we've used for over 10 years (with upgrades/mods, but essentially identical function), and one of us.

If you can use him, pay the very few bux and have him build/configure it for you; you'll have a lifetime of support to go with the excellent craftsmanship. Read his warranty specs just to get a shock, at Marine PC's & WiFi by IslandTime PC - I have NEVER encountered that level of commitment elsewhere.

/commercial
I second the motion that Bob at IslandTime is both knowledgable and service oriented!
Old 17-07-2016, 05:45   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by svgitana View Post
Dear cruisers,

I have spent hours on the internet searching for a computer monitor that has the following specifications:
- 17-21 inch
- 12 or 19 Volt DC power input
- low energy consumption (less than 15 Watt)
- brightness >= 250 CCD
- VESA mount

The search was mostly unsuccessful (often just leading to very expensive marine monitors > 1000 EUR). There are some previous articles on this forum, but they seem outdated as there is newer LED backlight technology on the market.

QUESTION: can anyone recommend monitors that fit this description?

Thanks!!

PS: I am running a Gigabyte brix as boat computer (GB-BXBT-2807). Definitely fast enough and quite low power (about 6 W).
Do a search on Nexus 12 volt Television combo units. Television, DVD built in, and connections that allow it to be used as computer monitor as well as connecting it up to your GPS or Radar if you wish. Inexpensive units that I have found fit my cruising lifestyle nicely.
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 02:14   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I am searching for a multifunctional 32” Smart TV/Monitor for use in the Pilothouse.
Research indicates that people experience compatibility issues when cloning to the laptop which I need to display Maxsea charts
Using Samsung led tv as a pc display - Windows 7 - Tom's Hardware
Has anyone had experience with this problem on the 2016 models?

Focusing on Full HD Models with Resolution 1920x1080 Motion Rate* 120 like the
Samsung 32" Class J6300 Full LED Smart TV
or
Sony KDL-32W650A or I think the latest 32 in (80 cm) KDL-32W607D
Built-in Wi-Fi TV with Full HD Television | W65D/W60D | Sony PH

My Cockpit now has a 15”Furuno TZT-2, so the Chart table console is quite empty, with just a bit of redundancy, so room for a nice big TV/monitor if it is compatible with the computer
Thanks for any advice or suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4 Pilothouse .jpg
Views:	395
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	134373   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 stbd console Samsung.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	134374  

Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 02:38   #19

Boat: Selene 47

Not to throw a wrench in the works....but I'm looking for a monitor that has no or extremely low magnetic field while on. We recently removed the previous monitor that was mounted in the pilot house as it was generating a magnetic field that effected almost everything. The Compass, auto pilot, chart plotter and so on.
Any suggestions?
CrustyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 03:56   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I am searching for a multifunctional 32” Smart TV/Monitor for use in the Pilothouse.
Research indicates that people experience compatibility issues when cloning to the laptop which I need to display Maxsea charts
Using Samsung led tv as a pc display - Windows 7 - Tom's Hardware
Has anyone had experience with this problem on the 2016 models?

Focusing on Full HD Models with Resolution 1920x1080 Motion Rate* 120 like the
Samsung 32" Class J6300 Full LED Smart TV
or
Sony KDL-32W650A or I think the latest 32 in (80 cm) KDL-32W607D
Built-in Wi-Fi TV with Full HD Television | W65D/W60D | Sony PH

My Cockpit now has a 15”Furuno TZT-2, so the Chart table console is quite empty, with just a bit of redundancy, so room for a nice big TV/monitor if it is compatible with the computer
Thanks for any advice or suggestions.
The dual monitor function works flawlessly in Windows 8.1 with a great variety of monitors, in my experience. I use it with a 32" Samsung monitor on my salon bulkhead as well as a 23" 4k monitor at my nav table, as well as hotel TV's, conference room projects, etc., etc. Never a problem.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 04:40   #21
CF Adviser

Thanks Dock head.... Is your 32" a Smart TV with WiFi network?
Old 30-10-2016, 04:48   #22
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyChief View Post
Not to throw a wrench in the works....but I'm looking for a monitor that has no or extremely low magnetic field while on. We recently removed the previous monitor that was mounted in the pilot house as it was generating a magnetic field that effected almost everything. The Compass, auto pilot, chart plotter and so on.
Any suggestions?
Just to clarify....was the problem all related to fluctuations in your compass heading? ... (l'm assuming flux gate)...

If yes it may be the power supply cord to Monitor.

Try wrapping it in tinfoil as a test.
Old 30-10-2016, 05:05   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Thanks Dock head.... Is your 32" a Smart TV with WiFi network?
Samsung Smart TV without WiFi, and without TV (since I broke the antenna connector ).
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 09:16   #24

Quote:
Just to clarify....was the problem all related to fluctuations in your compass heading? ... (l'm assuming flux gate)...

If yes it may be the power supply cord to Monitor.

Try wrapping it in tinfoil as a test.
With the power on the tv, it affected all compass headings. When it was off, not so bad but still caused disturbance. That tv was within 12" of the other items. It was so bad, that at times we had a 90 degree deviation on the Main compass, especially when heading North. Between the auto pilot, chart plotter, mag compass and the GPS, they all showed different readings. After removing the tv, we were within a few degrees on all.
By accident, I had my IPHone on the compass app and when it got close to the tv it would start to act up. When we had a Tech come out, it took him about a half hour to narrow it down to the tv. At first we thought it might have been the internal speakers, I removed them and even unplugged it still caused a mag difference. By the way, when I removed the plastic back cover of the tv, almost the entire back of it had a metal shield, this may have been the cause.

I've been told that a newer model LED tv shouldn't generate much of a mag field, I probably should just go shopping and test them out, but thought I'd ask here first. Thanks for the help!
Old 30-10-2016, 10:01   #25
CF Adviser

Yes, I am guessing on the Selene. The Monitor/TV was nicely built in and the compass sensor close by.

Also sounds like the old type of monitor was the cause of the interference

Options...try to relocate compass or use a hand held compass to check deviation when shopping for a new monitor
Good luck!
Old 30-10-2016, 10:47   #26

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Quote:
Any suggestions?
Sounds like your old monitor is a CRT. They use powerful electromagnets to focus and orient the e-beam, so yes, they do affect anything magnetic and the e-beam generator does emit considerable RF, ths affecting wifi, phones, etc. Older marine radars using CRT use a lot of magnetic and RF shielding to overcome these issues.

Newer LED TVs do not use these interfering systems, but can have some residual electrical interference issues.

Remember too, all electrical systems will have some magnetic interference, but it is usually short range. This is why most signal cables are composed of twisted-wire pairs. The opposing currents help cancel the e-m fields. Similarly, it is good practice to run your power cables (both 12vDC and 120AC) as pairs secured closely together rather than as individual wires run separately.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 11:19   #27

Quote:
Yes, I am guessing on the Selene. The Monitor/TV was nicely built in and the compass sensor close by.

Also sounds like the old type of monitor was the cause of the interference

Options...try to relocate compass or use a hand held compass to check deviation when shopping for a new monitor
Good luck!
To be fair, the monitor was installed by the previous owner who was a tv junky, the boat had 4 tv's with a dish. We used the pilot house tv as a large screen viewer from our IPAD that runs the Navionics app, which is now our primary plotter.
Old 30-10-2016, 11:22   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
Sounds like your old monitor is a CRT. They use powerful electromagnets to focus and orient the e-beam, so yes, they do affect anything magnetic and the e-beam generator does emit considerable RF, ths affecting wifi, phones, etc. Older marine radars using CRT use a lot of magnetic and RF shielding to overcome these issues.

Newer LED TVs do not use these interfering systems, but can have some residual electrical interference issues.

Remember too, all electrical systems will have some magnetic interference, but it is usually short range. This is why most signal cables are composed of twisted-wire pairs. The opposing currents help cancel the e-m fields. Similarly, it is good practice to run your power cables (both 12vDC and 120AC) as pairs secured closely together rather than as individual wires run separately.
Think I'll go shopping today with a good handheld compass to check, hope that we can check each but a bit concerned as most stores that sell tv's tend to pack them in tight together.
Old 30-10-2016, 13:19   #29

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Quote:
Think I'll go shopping today with a good handheld compass to check, hope that we can check each but a bit concerned as most stores that sell tv's tend to pack them in tight together.
You don't have to look specifically for models quoted as 12v. Look at the back. If the power comes from a small wall-mounted transformer (i.e.wall-wart) it is probable a 12v TV. Look very carefully at the small print on the wall-wart, and it will say what its output voltage is.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 13:26   #30

Thanks all for your input, and sorry to the OP if I highjacked your post, Mayby should have started a new post but felt it was related.
Cheers

Tags
monitor