Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2015, 17:00   #31

Boat: Nauticat 33
Re: Confused. Should I buy a Raymarine E7 chart plotter? or just stick with a IPAD??

Quote:
Originally Posted by roygee View Post
well it seems that you did not spend the big bucks to get the i-pad with the built-in GPS. Most of the cheaper units only triangulate your position from towers, so if you are out of range, you are out of luck. Most salesmen do not know to point this out, because I guess it does not occur to them that anyone can get out of town!

This is wrong.

There are only 2 options per iPad line, wifi only and wifi + cellular. If you have wifi + cellular (doesn't matter if cellular is enabled) you have a built in GPS receiver and your iPad will theoretically know where it is anywhere on Earth. If you have wifi only it cannot talk to towers because it has no cellular antenna. If it's on a wifi network however it can use that information to locate.

Also, if you have a wifi only iPad and you pair it with most any Bluetooth enabled GPS receiver, your iPad will now know where on earth it is. For example Delorme's inReach is becoming very popular. When I pair my wifi only iPad to the Delorme using their Earthmate app (mainly because it is way easier to type on an iPad than the stupid Delorme interface) my iPad now knows where on Earth it is. I can then use my Garmin Blue Charts to navigate. I have seen a lot of people who buy GPS dongles as well as Delormes and it is unnecessary.
cofc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 17:46   #32

Boat: Catalina 385
Confused. Should I buy a Raymarine E7 chart plotter? or just stick with a IPAD??

I would think iPad brightness , waterproofness, and battery drain would make my decision.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Doug4bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 18:00   #33

Boat: Liberty 458
Re: Confused. Should I buy a Raymarine E7 chart plotter? or just stick with a IPAD??

We find the ipad to be a dreadful chartplotter at the helm. Not what i would consider a good piece of safety critical kit.

The ipad is great for quick checks down below.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 18:04   #34

Boat: Liberty 458

We find the ipad to be a dreadful chartplotter at the helm. Not what i would consider a good piece of safety critical kit.

The ipad is great for quick checks down below.

We're currently investigating B&G with a combination of Zeus2 and Triton displays at the helm. The wifi connector would then allow us to use tablets for situational awareness while down below. Just not at the helm.

leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 21:51   #35
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450

Zooplax we actually operated our boat recently in Thailand during lightning periods around us and shut down the Raymarine system, you will not have any Autopilot control if your using an IPad and that changes everything as it is a PITA hand steering for hours.

I would NOT recommend an IPad as your main source of Navigation but it is a great backup should you require it.

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 13-04-2016, 17:55   #36

Boat: Endurance 12m

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooplax View Post
Hi All

Question time again:

What are peoples views on chartplotters or iPads?

Are they needed on boats? or will an iPad do it all instead??

Positives:
Seems as if on my iPad I can get: SONAR, Radar, Navionics HD, Auto Routing, it has inbuilt GPS, I can even get AIS on it through a separate APP, fair enough AIS, Radar, & Sonar require extra attachments but that seems the same as a chart plotter. My iPad has a lifeproof waterproof case and a mount for it at the helm... I just found out I can even charge the iPad using IQ charging pad which I could fit into my helm meaning i never have to take the iPad out of the waterproof case while on the boat.

Negatives:
Not the best brightness in daylight.. but still visible. not sure i can find much else, There was a battery problem / waterproofness while charging but this seems to have been answered with the IQ Cable free charging device that is available for iPads.

My main reason for asking is: I was literally about to buy a Raymarine E7 chartplotter (with EU Cartography) NO SONAR (With Sonar is £950) cost without Sonar around £800, It will wifi to my iPad which is great, but my last minute thoughts are I already have everything on my iPadas I'm using Navionics HD software...

Main reason I wanted the Raymarine E7 was it has Wifi so it is compatible with my iPad, then I realised for a similar price as the Raymarine E7 i could get TWO Standard Horizon C180 Chartplotters, one for the chart table and one for at the helm... which would mean then I wouldn't need to use my iPad at all...

So much choice out there... Any other thoughts?, maybe I don't need the confusion, budget is £800 for a chart plotter or two but would be happier spending the cash on other things as there always seems to be something on an old boat... I ideally want something below deck and something at the helm.

Ive just thought of a couple more downsides to the iPad... No MOB button..., Anchor alert apps don't seem too precise and seem to require internet connection...

And yes before some of you chirp up paper charts will be onboard also and will be scrutinised as usual.
Hiya Zooplax
Soooo 12 months on are you happy with you Raymarine E7????
I'm thinking of buying one now myself but have heard a few bad stories..
How is yours going??

Scott
Sailing Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 17:57   #37

Boat: Endurance 12m

Hmmmm
Hiya Zooplax
So 12 months on are you happy with your E7??
I'm thinking of buying one myself but have heard of some bad experiences..
How is your going>>

Cheers
Scott
Sailing Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 20:45   #38

We just got a Raymarine eS75 chart plotter with wifi. It's easy to connect using the built-in wifi, so we can both view and operate the plotter, which is located in the cockpit, anywhere on the boat. This way we have the reliable, waterproof plotter with bright screen in the cockpit, connected to DC power, and an iPad at the nav station (where sunlight and lack of power are no problem). The greatest thing is that we don't need to be at the plotter at all; it can be fully controlled from the iPad anywhere on the boat. The first mate views the plotter screen from an iPhone.

For pictures of this unit on a Pacific Seacraft 37, go to this webpage and scroll down:

https://pacificseacraft37.com/more-photos/
Lantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:28   #39

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

I don't understand the problem with the iPad as navigation, evan primary. I use iNavX as charts. The are as good if not better than those on big chart plotters. I connect to my AIS system. I have been sailing in new waters for years. Yes a second independent system would be ideal, iPad, chart plotter, and paper would be best. Besides iNavX I have full charts for garment and navionics. So I essentially have three full charting systems. I down load all my routes to a hand held gps for another backup system and keep extra batteries. I sail in the Caribbean and it works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:21   #40

Boat: Chesapeake Light Craft Passagemaker, Tyler Craft T42, and 9' RIB.

I've begun the "Electronics" paperchase now that we are in the water, sailing the bay and doing the interior/topside refit before leaving in 18 months. ( Yes we are still on schedule, set a date and go! )

I've been using my iPhone 6plus and iPad mini in Lifeproof or Otterbox cases while out on the water and am quite pleased.

Here is my current list of toys either on the buy list or acquired:

1: iPad and iPhone - these interact with other systems, are reliable, low virus threats and easy to replace in most of the world.

2: Garmin 741, radar, bronze transducer and more. This system appears to be the most solid, best value and interacts in a heterogenous environment.

3: We will ALWAYS have some level of paper charts, dividers, parallel rulers, sextant etc. The Admiral is learning how to use a compass and dead reckoning from me.

4: Nothing Windows based except for embedded. I work in IT, I love Microsoft, they keep me busy and employed but folks, except for an odd laptop here and there, don't rely on it. Too many bugs, too many attacks. Still, keep it around for those that need it and variety.
Ramblingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:48   #41

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

I would recommend a good AIS system that transmits and receives. I use a VesperMarine product that is stand alone but connects thru WIFI to my iPad, watchmate. Fairly pricey but well worth it. Very good customer service.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 18:37   #42

They cost about the same.

They can mostly process the same data.

The disadvantages of the tablet are:
-sunlight visibility
-using the touchscreen when wet
-waterproofing
-charging

Those problems can be ameliorated but not eliminated entirely.

So, plotter is clearly best for use in the cockpit, IMO.

...reached this conclusion after a lot of research, starting with a bias against plotters.

Mind you, the difference is not huge.

People freaking out over sailors with tablets only are engaging in a bit of hyperbole.

-- Seneca
KISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 18:51   #43

Boat: a sailing boat

I think it is pretty irrelevant what you chose. Just take something you are comfortable with, something that gets you safely from A to B.

Neither Raymarine nor an iPad tablet do the sailng for you, they are just tools and toys.

We have crossed oceans without plotters, tablets and at times without paper charts too. They help you as much as they distract you. Whichever distracts you least is probably your best choice.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 01:26   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by KISS View Post
They cost about the same.

They can mostly process the same data.

The disadvantages of the tablet are:
-sunlight visibility
-using the touchscreen when wet
-waterproofing
-charging

Those problems can be ameliorated but not eliminated entirely.

So, plotter is clearly best for use in the cockpit, IMO.

...reached this conclusion after a lot of research, starting with a bias against plotters.

Mind you, the difference is not huge.

People freaking out over sailors with tablets only are engaging in a bit of hyperbole.
I will second the point on charging. Our iPad runs out of juice after some hours even when connected to power (which we can only do down below to prevent salt spray getting inside the power connection). It's not an issue for a daysail, but if you are doing any cruising it's just not enough. I studied this topic for ages and concluded that the best approach for our boat was to have a cockpit chartplotter with wifi. The wifi allows us to view AND control the chartplotter from anywhere on the boat. The radar is the same. So we have the best of both worlds -- chart plotter and iPad. Of course the plotter cost money.

To see pictures of the plotter setup, you can look at our website. When I get around to it I'll add some photos of the iPad screen (it's almost an exact duplicate of the plotter screen).

Here's the web address (scroll down for pictures):

Old 17-05-2016, 16:00   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantau View Post
I will second the point on charging. Our iPad runs out of juice after some hours even when connected to power (which we can only do down below to prevent salt spray getting inside the power connection). It's not an issue for a daysail, but if you are doing any cruising it's just not enough. I studied this topic for ages and concluded that the best approach for our boat was to have a cockpit chartplotter with wifi. The wifi allows us to view AND control the chartplotter from anywhere on the boat. The radar is the same. So we have the best of both worlds -- chart plotter and iPad. Of course the plotter cost money.

To see pictures of the plotter setup, you can look at our website. When I get around to it I'll add some photos of the iPad screen (it's almost an exact duplicate of the plotter screen).

Here's the web address (scroll down for pictures):

I posted photos of the Raymarine chartplotter being controlled from the iPad (go to the link above and scroll down, and there's another photo at the "Details and Photos" section of the website).

This setup -- with dedicated chart plotter attached to DC power, with waterproofing and good screen for use in bright sunlight, in the cockpit, and iPad for use elsewhere on the boat -- seems to be a perfect solution.

I think someone ought to be in the cockpit anyway, but it's nice to be able to shout to the first mate to "look at your iPhone" when I want to share something on the radar or chart -- or for the first mate to shout to me when I'm down below to look at the iPad, saving me a trip up for nothing.

(There are two apps: one for viewing the plotter and one for both viewing and controlling. Naturally, I direct passengers to the view-only version.)

Tags
Ipad, marine, raymarine