Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2024, 12:26   #16

Boat: Hunter 36
Re: Constant radio static driving me up the wall!!

I appreciate all the feedback here, so maybe this mystery is solved.

After more experimentation, it's definitely my batteries.

Now I can understand batteries like the Ecoflow that have Bluetooth and possibly wifi or something. But it even does this with my dumb batteries that don't have any communication, just an off/on button! grrr
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2024, 13:37   #17

Boat: 48 Hatteras LRC

For what it is worth the Ecoflow batteries cause static when they are completely turned off.

Great information from Jammer. I've applied some ferrite cores to my antenna cables, but will re-evaluate and re-apply based on the information from Jammer. I also made a faraday box with faraday fabric with only limited success.

A fellow boater at the marina is using a different brand of portable batteries in the same capacity I intended to use mine and he has no RFI problems.
john.foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2024, 14:24   #18

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
...After more experimentation, it's definitely my batteries.

Now I can understand batteries like the Ecoflow that have Bluetooth and possibly wifi or something. But it even does this with my dumb batteries that don't have any communication, just an off/on button! grrr
What kind of batteries? There should be no RF from, say, a FLA bank or anything without an internal BMS.

Have you eliminated the possibility that it's something directly connected to the batteries?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2024, 14:38   #19

Boat: Tartan 3800

I believe he's referring to the large battery devices, usually called "portable power stations," that are sold as an alternative to portable generators.
Old 12-08-2024, 17:46   #20
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

This interference comes from harmonics from the high frequency inverter/converter circuits inside these things. They have a power inverter, a solar MPPT controller etc.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2024, 07:00   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
What kind of batteries? There should be no RF from, say, a FLA bank or anything without an internal BMS.

Have you eliminated the possibility that it's something directly connected to the batteries?

As Jammer mentioned, I'm talking about portable batteries I use for "fun" stuff like my laptop, not the house or start batteries. They were intended for people going camping but work great on boats.

But funny you mention connections, I notice now the static problem gets worse when I plug these batteries into a 12v outlet for recharging.
Old 13-08-2024, 07:38   #22

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
As Jammer mentioned, I'm talking about portable batteries I use for "fun" stuff like my laptop, not the house or start batteries. They were intended for people going camping but work great on boats.

But funny you mention connections, I notice now the static problem gets worse when I plug these batteries into a 12v outlet for recharging.
If your laptop runs on 120 VAC, a $50 inverter works great.

I run a fan, laptop, HDTV, charge my phone, handheld, headlamp, etc with my $50; 400 watt inverter. (since 2012)

I have a 1500 watt inverter also but have yet to use it.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2024, 09:47   #23

Boat: 48 Hatteras LRC

As I mentioned previously, I have a friend who connects his portable batteries to his shore power to run 120v items when underway or at anchor. He uses Anker brand portable battery system and has no RFI problems aboard.
john.foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2024, 11:01   #24

Since boats already have House Batteries that are being charged anyway, it seems much more reasonable simply to attach an inverter to your batteries for your 120 VAC needs.

Plus, inverters are probably much cheaper and do not cause interference.

I'm never hooked to shore power since I have solar.

400 watt inverters can be purchased for $45.00 and up.

https://www.zoro.com/westward-invert...f&gclsrc=3p.ds

https://www.zoro.com/powerdrive-powe...m_content=Test
Old 13-08-2024, 11:04   #25

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I'm going to agree with thomm on this one. If you're using portable batteries to power stuff regularly, I'd rather just upgrade the onboard power systems to accommodate that need and be able to use better gear that's intended to survive in the marine environment (and ideally without interference problems).
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2024, 12:21   #26

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
start disconnecting or turning off all other electrically powered devices until static stops.

This means everything. Test with hand held if necessary after disconnecting solar controller if you have one.

Yes; shut it ALL down, and bring the boat back up a few items at a time. There may be a device that happens to radiate on CH16. It happens. My MPPT's are quite bad with broadband noise, the AIS transceiver also messes with nearby GPS. The more you have, and the more you look, I predict you will find several EMC concerns.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2024, 08:21   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I'm going to agree with thomm on this one. If you're using portable batteries to power stuff regularly, I'd rather just upgrade the onboard power systems to accommodate that need and be able to use better gear that's intended to survive in the marine environment (and ideally without interference problems).
You raise a good point that I have considered many times. But there are some advantages to portables on a boat. They are in fact - portable, so I can plug a TV, laptop, or hair dryer, etc into them from anywhere, I don't have to reach a 12v outlet or an inverter. They are MUCH better at telling me precisely how much % of power I have left (I have three different voltmeters for my house bank and they only can tell me voltage, not % of power remaining, I have to estimate that myself).

They are smart, so they can regulate not just voltage but Hz, so they are compatible with more devices, and they can recharge from shore power very quickly. I also have a portable solar panel I can charge them with, and even though it's smaller than my built in panels, sometimes I effectively get better results with it because I can aim it at the sun more directly.

But the VHF interference is something I didn't plan on, so I'm going to rethink how much I use them.
Old 14-08-2024, 08:25   #28

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
You raise a good point that I have considered many times. But there are some advantages to portables on a boat. They are in fact - portable, so I can plug a TV, laptop, or hair dryer, etc into them from anywhere, I don't have to reach a 12v outlet or an inverter. They are MUCH better at telling me precisely how much % of power I have left (I have three different voltmeters for my house bank and they only can tell me voltage, not % of power remaining, I have to estimate that myself).

They are smart, so they can regulate not just voltage but Hz, so they are compatible with more devices, and they can recharge from shore power very quickly. I also have a portable solar panel I can charge them with, and even though it's smaller than my built in panels, sometimes I effectively get better results with it because I can aim it at the sun more directly.

But the VHF interference is something I didn't plan on, so I'm going to rethink how much I use them.
A good inverter will power any of that stuff as well and will produce good, stable power. You can easily add monitoring that gives better state of charge info for your house bank. Personally, I have every outlet on the boat powered through the inverter so plugging something in is just as simple as being at the dock with shore power.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2024, 10:23   #29

Plus, you don't need to charge your inverter since it's hooked to your house battery bank which has its own charging system.

Buying even more batteries that need to be charged seems much less efficient than an inverter that's always ready to go.

Voltage on my Victron usually tells me all I need to know as far as battery percentage remaining or my old school Altus Battery Gauge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Victron.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	413.2 KB
ID:	292980   Click image for larger version

Name:	dualbatteries15 (1).jpg
Views:	18
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	292981  

Old 14-08-2024, 11:49   #30

If its continual then most likely its noise coming from something on your boat. Solar chargers and anything made in china are a good place to start. Take your portable, remove the antenna. Turn squelch just past open. Walk around the boat, Any spot that unsquelches more than others. Check your LED lights, chargers (solar and device), TV. Just need to walk around to find the noise.

Does the issue happen away from the dock? Maybe its a near by dock or maria device.

Tags
radio