Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2023, 22:01   #16

Re: Convert SeaTalk NG device to nmea2000

Yes I cut the end off and stick on maretron field end
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2023, 23:19   #17

Boat: Lagoon 400

The SeatalkNG to NMEA2000 cable adaptor or adaptors both for Backbone and SeatalkNG Spur are available via Raymarine Part Numbers. These can be sourced via Raymarine dealers, your local chandlery or Online stores.

See attached PDF of commonly used adaptor cables or adaptors with part numbers for ease of selection.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Raymarine DeviceNet to STNG Adpators.pdf (432.4 KB, 37 views)
OldGreyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2023, 00:06   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGreyB View Post
The SeatalkNG to NMEA2000 cable adaptor or adaptors both for Backbone and SeatalkNG Spur are available via Raymarine Part Numbers. These can be sourced via Raymarine dealers, your local chandlery or Online stores.

See attached PDF of commonly used adaptor cables or adaptors with part numbers for ease of selection.
Thankyou very much this is very helpful
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2023, 05:01   #19
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

You can get pretty much any kind of NMEA 2000 field installable connector from maretron.
https://www.maretron.com/products/cabling.php
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2023, 06:29   #20

I had lots of leftover cables and made one as you originally questioned - just cut and end from what I needed and added the other...

Works fine.
two-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2023, 13:27   #21

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
Do you know if it is Ray plan to eventually convert everything. Right now it is this weird mix. Interested in i70 instrument display but they are ST-NG only. Yeah I could use an adapter just annoying.

I don't know, but i70 is a last generation device.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2023, 02:49   #22

I just wanted to have some clarity , perhaps it helps others later....

Firstly, there are no device adapters from Seatalk NG to NMEA 2000.
By that I mean that if you have for example, a seatalk NG depth sounder, you cannot connect this directly using an adapter to NMEA2000 network.
If you wish to connect a seatalk NG device to NMEA2000, then you need to do this by first connecting to a Seatalk NG network and then using an adapter cable, it is possible to then connect to a NMEA2000 network.

So why do I say this...

Firstly Seatalk NG devices have a female connector, the NMEA2000 T connector is female, so the adapter would need a Seatalk NG male connector (to connect to the seatalk NG female connector) and a NMEA2000 male connector (to connect to the NMEA2000 T connector which is female)

This male on both ends adapter does not exist....
Thats why either cut off the seatalk NG connector and add your own NMEA2000 field connector or use adapters to go from Seatalk NG network to NMEA2000 network.

You can make your own device adapter by using a NMEA male field connector and cutting the end off the Seatalk NG device and then wiring in the NMEA male field connector.

I hope what I wrote is correct, but after my research this seems to be right.
Old 25-04-2023, 04:38   #23

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
I
There is and always has been.

As full "spur" cables
A06046 - SeaTalk NG device (white cable) to N2k male
A06045 - SeaTalk NG device (white cable) to N2k female

As adapter for existing spur cables (both ST and N2K) but I prefer the cables above.

Link to A06046 for sale
https://www.amazon.com/Raymarine-A06.../dp/B0066T3F8S

For a long time the reverse was not true. There was no ST backbone to N2K adapter (male or female) which made it a pain if you had both ST and N2K backbones. They added that a few years ago

-
A80674 - SeaTalk NG backbone (blue cable) to N2k male
A80675 - SeaTalk NG backbone (blue cable) to N2k female
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2023, 04:52   #24

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
I just wanted to have some clarity , perhaps it helps others later....

By that I mean that if you have for example, a seatalk NG depth sounder, you cannot connect this directly using an adapter to NMEA2000 network.
If you wish to connect a seatalk NG device to NMEA2000, then you need to do this by first connecting to a Seatalk NG network and then using an adapter cable, it is possible to then connect to a NMEA2000 network.

So why do I say this...

Firstly Seatalk NG devices have a female connector, the NMEA2000 T connector is female, so the adapter would need a Seatalk NG male connector (to connect to the seatalk NG female connector) and a NMEA2000 male connector (to connect to the NMEA2000 T connector which is female)

This male on both ends adapter does not exist....
Thats why either cut off the seatalk NG connector and add your own NMEA2000 field connector or use adapters to go from Seatalk NG network to NMEA2000 network.

You can make your own device adapter by using a NMEA male field connector and cutting the end off the Seatalk NG device and then wiring in the NMEA male field connector. There are enough choices to make up the cable you need in the form you want. No real challenge here.

I hope what I wrote is correct, but after my research this seems to be right.
Not sure Why you keep saying the adapters don't exist when you're getting the direct part numbers AND catalogues. You're just thinking about it backwards. If you have to connect a seatalk device to a N2K network just use one of the A06083 adapters at the seatalk device (or if space is an issue at the device use A06075 and make the junction further on) and then connect it to the N2K network with a typical N2K drop cable. plug the female end into the adapter and the male end into the backbone. Easy.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2023, 05:12   #25

Yes, I know it’s annoying with me, I’m just going to go back over everything again as there is clearly a misunderstanding going on here…I think it’s all of you, and you all think it’s me.
Now normally in these cases when this happens, it’s the odd one out , which in this case happens to be me.
Old 25-04-2023, 05:16   #26

Quote:
Yes, I know it’s annoying with me, I’m just going to go back over everything again as there is clearly a misunderstanding going on here…I think it’s all of you, and you all think it’s me.
Now normally in these cases when this happens, it’s the odd one out , which in this case happens to be me.
Sounds like you have this case:

Seatalk NG device that you want to connect to a N2K network. (FYI SeatalkNG devices have a MALE connector on them not female. that is probably what is messing you up here)

If that is the case then all you really need is a SeatalkNG adaptor that converts (at the device) from SeatalkNG female to Devicenet Male. If that is the case then just install a A06083 at the seatalk device and connect a regular Devicenet female cable to that and the other male end will connect to the female connector on the N2K backbone.
Old 25-04-2023, 05:21   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Sounds like you have this case:

Seatalk NG device that you want to connect to a N2K network. (FYI SeatalkNG devices have a MALE connector on them not female. that is probably what is messing you up here)

If that is the case then all you really need is a SeatalkNG adaptor that converts (at the device) from SeatalkNG female to Devicenet Male. If that is the case then just install a A06083 at the seatalk device and connect a regular Devicenet female cable to that and the other male end will connect to the female connector on the N2K backbone.
and alternatively if he insists no it must be a single cable with no other adpters ... they make that too

A06046 - Cable with SeaTalk NG device female connector (white cable) to N2k male connector.

Plug one end into the device and plug the other end into the N2K backbone.

So while his specific requirement isn't mandatory as there are other options there is also an adapter cable that does exactly what he specifies.
Old 25-04-2023, 05:23   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
and alternatively if he insists no it must be a male to male cable with no other adpters ... they make that too

A06046 - Cable with SeaTalk NG device male conecctor (white cable) to N2k male connector.

Plug one end into the device and plug the other end into the N2K backbone.

So while his specific requirement isn't mandatory as there are other options there is also an adapter cable that does exactly what he specifies.
That's actually a seatalkNG FEMALE to devicenet male but it would still work!
Old 25-04-2023, 05:27   #29

Quote:
Not sure Why you keep saying the adapters don't exist when you're getting the direct part numbers AND catalogues. You're just thinking about it backwards. If you have to connect a seatalk device to a N2K network just use one of the A06083 adapters at the seatalk device (or if space is an issue at the device use A06075 and make the junction further on) and then connect it to the N2K network with a typical N2K drop cable. plug the female end into the adapter and the male end into the backbone. Easy.
typo A06075 should have been A06076. One of these:

https://navstore.com/a06076-raymarin...-cable-1m.html
Old 25-04-2023, 05:29   #30

Quote:
That's actually a seatalkNG FEMALE to devicenet male but it would still work!
Oops. Edited so I don't add to confusion.

Tags
nmea, seatalk