Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2008, 08:25   #1

Boat: Grand Banks 42 Classic - Heads Up
Send a message via Yahoo to CaptHead
Cruising Music for the Helm/Watch

What music do you prefer to listen to while you are on watch/helm during the night watches?

Up beat rock, jazz, R&B, easy stuff, hard heavy metal, country, Island music, or classic?

Do you listen to music?

Do you like it silent?

How do you stay awake and pass the time?
1966 Grand Banks 42 Hull #17
Twin Ford Lehman Diesels
Sterling LP over Epoxy
Life is Great, Skip the Beach
CaptHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:43   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Matey,
If just double handed and Sues asleep - nix. I prefer to read using a red dimmed headlight to pass away the hours - and think ears are almost as useful at night as your eyes for watchkeeping.
But then race crewed and going for it - nothing beats heavy rock (my favourite is Pink Floyd / Dogs of War) to keep everyone pumped up and trimming.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 06-11-2008, 10:24   #3

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I could see the Pink Floyd during racing which I have never done by the way..

I have sailed a few times at night years ago here in Puget sound but with zero blue water experiance have really no clue about that nor need to here...as we have found an anchorage well before dark..my gut tells me I would want silence and my ears as radar though.

Day time boating is all we do and aboard we really like the Pan flute music from Peru..it is hands down our favorite...with in raido reception christian rock is easy listing as is country...some good classical is nice now and again as long as its not the type that fades to nothing and then blasts you...that gives me about as bad a head as rap.
When things really pipe up I dont want any music on though..the wind is my music then...
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:47   #4
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
I'm with Swagman - your hearing is extremely important when sailing in the dark. Countless boats/lives have been saved because of the sound of breaking waves on a shoal/reef that is not accurately reflected on your charts (digital or paper), to say nothing of being able to hear approaching ships. Yes, you could have your radar on, but I generally don't waste the electrical draw unless it is foggy, or I am in the shipping lanes.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 13:08   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42
The boys are right. I realize you're in a power-boat so your hearing is already compromised by engine noise, but music has been shown to have a very deleterious effect on attention and focus which are crucial to keeping proper watch. Plot you positions regularly, check your instruments and gauges, sweep the horizon with your eyes every few minutes, check your radar etc., do a walk-about on deck to ensure all is secure and then start the process over. There's no shortage of things to do while standing a watch, particularly if you're near shore, which you will be with a 42' trawler in SoCal.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 13:35   #6

Books "on tape" for me
skatastrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 13:50   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Illare, Hawaiin Slack guitar, Johnny & Santos...Sleep walk, Isreal Kamakawiwo 'Ole, Andrea Bocelli.....Sogno.....Along these lines.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
music