Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2019, 17:32   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Cyber Monday iPad deals

Haven't used an iPad for navigation much yet, but was thinking of picking one up on Cyber Monday.

Anyone seen any particularly good deals today. Need to have the cell/3g or whatever also would like to be able to use WhatsApp with local sim cards, etc also. Or else maybe a gps puck is still a thing?

What's the way to go.
Boatguy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 17:55   #2

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Cyber Monday iPad deals

Never used an internal gps/cell one. GPS location comes across Wifi from your instruments, such as XB8000 or whatever, along with AIS and everything else. In an emergency you can get location by tethering to your phone, and of course you can use that to get cell internet too
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 18:10   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Don't have one of those. Wonder if speed for say video chat is slower when tethered vs. with own sim card.
Old 02-12-2019, 19:07   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Cyber Monday iPad deals

I’ve never bought one with a cell card in it. I used to use mine for flying and an external Bluetooth GPS is much more accurate, but on the boat I get GPS position from my plotter or my Vesper AIS.
I have a range extender that I can put a SIM card in, but it doesn’t seem to work any better or faster than being tethered to the phone, so I’d assume an I-pad with a SIM card Wouldn’t be any faster either.
iPads with SIM cards are in my opinion for people that don’t mind buying multiple data plans for devices and that’s not me.
I use an IPad Pro but doubt it’s necessary. I read on the news that Apples newest I-pad is already on sale for less than it was on Black Friday, I think I saw a price of $299?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 20:02   #5

Boat: Tartan 28

You have to get a cellular version if you wish to use built in GPS. As mentioned above, if you are getting GPS from another source on WiFi or Bluetooth, its not necessary. for me, we did not have a wireless GPS source on our boat, nor a chart plotter. I went with an iPad with Cell/GPS. You dont need to activate the SIM card or data plan, its just that the iPad without cellular does not have a GPS chip.

The iPad works great for navigation. I use iSailor and Navionics. Both work well with the iPad. Another thought you may consider is getting a GPS enabled iPad even if you have another wireless GPS source, just for redundancy.
zemurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 21:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemurray View Post
You have to get a cellular version if you wish to use built in GPS. As mentioned above, if you are getting GPS from another source on WiFi or Bluetooth, its not necessary. for me, we did not have a wireless GPS source on our boat, nor a chart plotter. I went with an iPad with Cell/GPS. You don't need to activate the SIM card or data plan, its just that the iPad without cellular does not have a GPS chip.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This appears to be the [repeated] consensus about this equipment.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 21:16   #7

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post

Need to have the cell/3g or whatever also would like to be able to use WhatsApp with local sim cards, etc also. Or else maybe a gps puck is still a thing?

WhatsApp will always be via your phone and your account attached to that phone number. You can tether via hotspot to get it on your other devices, But it takes a WhatsApp compatible app, and your phone on the net to access WhatsApp on your other device. Basically, a PITA.
Old 02-12-2019, 22:23   #8

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

I forgot to ask if op had an iPhone. If you have an iPhone, then everything gets duplicated on all devices (assuming you're using the same apple ID). Your whatsapp conversations happen on all devices and you can use whatever is nearest, and swap between them with that and any other app. If you haven't then the iPad will only work as a standalone device or tether to your phone's hotspot for Internet access.

If you sail where raster charts are either free from government sources or reasonably available, don't forget to check out SeaIQ, even if you don't have an xb8000
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 22:44   #9

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
If you have an iPhone, then everything gets duplicated on all devices (assuming you're using the same apple ID). Your whatsapp conversations happen on all devices and you can use whatever is nearest, and swap between them with that and any other app.
Not exactly.
Where downloading lots of apps you can get the same app on other devices. Not so with WhatsApp. You need to choose from the available apps for particular devices. But once you get passed that, then the messages will track on all devices, as long as you open the app and your phone is getting the messages to feed your other device. Like I said, it follows the phone number that the WhatsApp account is on.

So you're typing along to messages that your phone is getting and feeding your MacBook. The advantage is the bigger keyboard and screen, but the lag make it a PITA
Old 03-12-2019, 12:07   #10

Boat: Tayana 37

We have an iPad with cell, and an Android tablet with same. Have Whatsapp on my phone, so didn't think about putting it on the iPad until your post. See that iPad support for Whatsapp is "coming soon".

Anyway, to answer your question, haven't seen any really great deals on iPads, about $100 off and such. Was looking for an iPad Pro to add to the nav station. Maybe next year.
foojin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad