Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2015, 18:29   #1

Boat: Boatless at this time (is this a word?)
Delorme lost all of your personal data

Delorme has just announced a major theft of all their user personal information. If you have a delorme unit, it may be worthwhile to see what they stole and taking appropriate actions. It looks like they don't take any responsibility for protecting the data.

I use the Delorme Inreach SE for emergency communication and tracking on bluewater trips. I know some use this same unit for remote backcountry location and communications as well. Delorme, as a smaller sized company than say Iridium, has just announced in the email below that its system was hacked and all personal data including emergency contacts and even your medications that you were taking has been lost and likely sold on the open market.

Here is a copy of the email sent to me: Dear inReach Customer,

We are contacting you because we have learned of a data security incident that occurred on March 11, 2015, which involved some of your personal information.

The incident involved Explore.DeLorme.com accounts for inReach satellite communicators activated between July 30, 2014 and March 5, 2015. Suspicious activity was detected by a member of DeLorme's web team who was conducting a routine daily review of the activity log. The specific security issue was identified and we began applying corrective actions within the hour, which will minimize the effect of the incident and prevent its recurrence. DeLorme has also notified, and is working with, appropriate law enforcement officials to investigate the issue. While this cyber attack was not severe, DeLorme is taking this event very seriously. We are in the process of implementing even stricter login/password requirements and processes, as well as an extensive audit of our public-facing access methods.

The information potentially accessed by the cyber attackers contained inReach customer names, mailing addresses, email addresses, telephone numbers, text in the emergency notes field, and, in some cases, dates of birth, as well as the names and addresses of individuals identified by customers as emergency contacts. No other information was compromised, specifically no financial information, passwords or other personal identity information, such as credit card numbers and bank account information. All inReach message traffic, GPS location information, and contact address books stored in the Explore portal remain secure and uncompromised. As a reminder, DeLorme does not ever collect customers' social security numbers.

While we have no information to indicate that your information has been or will be misused, we believe it is important that you be informed of this incident and that you take precautions to protect against possible misuse or identity theft. While no password information was compromised in this incident, we are notifying you so you can take action, along with our efforts, to minimize potential harm. We strongly encourage you to take preventive measures now to help prevent and detect any misuse of your information and ensure a safer online experience, such as the following:

(1) Frequently change any passwords that you use with any websites, including your Explore.DeLorme.com login. Be sure to create strong passwords that include a combination of letters, numbers and special characters. For tips on creating a strong password and other online safety suggestions, visit: https://passwordday.org/en/.

(2) Report any suspicious emails or phone calls you receive from someone claiming to be from DeLorme or associated with our inReach product. DeLorme will never ask you for your social security or other ID numbers, such as passports and driver's licenses. To report any suspicious activity, please email us at fraud@delorme.com. If someone claiming to be from DeLorme contacts you via phone and you have any doubts or concerns, please end the call immediately and contact us directly through one of our official communication methods to complete the conversation or report your concerns.

We sincerely regret that your information may have been subject to unauthorized access and any subsequent inconvenience that this incident presents to you. DeLorme is committed to maintaining the privacy of your information and takes many precautions for the security of personal information. As such, we are committed to continually improving our systems and practices to enhance the security of sensitive information.

If you have any questions concerning your account or this incident, please do not hesitate to contact us. You can reach the Customer Care Team via our contact page.
Swammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 10:09   #2

Boat: 42 Passport Cutter
Re: Delorme lost all of your personal data

Do you like your inreach other than the security issue?

Thanks Laurie
larbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 10:11   #3

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Yup got that e-mail about 2 weeks ago.. That makes the 3rd company this year to lose all my personal data!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 10:32   #4

Boat: 42 Passport Cutter

Have you had any problems with the phone I heard there was a problem with the directional keys. I am on my way to west marine to purchase one.

Thanks Laurie
larbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 12:56   #5

Boat: Nauticat 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by larbar View Post
Have you had any problems with the phone I heard there was a problem with the directional keys. I am on my way to west marine to purchase one.

Thanks Laurie

You'll never type on the actual unit. Pair in to your phone or iPad, download the free Earthmate app, and you'll interface with the unit through that. Typing on the inreach is terrible. Using the app is just like texting on an iPhone.
cofc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 14:16   #6

Boat: Boatless at this time (is this a word?)

Laurie, I have used the unit on two 1000nm open ocean trips. On both occasions, I got the 160 (max) character text about a weather bomb coming. Unfortunately it was too late as I only checked it twice per day. However it worked to what I had intended.

You can send three different free messages that you have been pre inserted as many times as you want per day. Different monthly programs that are just for that month are convenient. You can cancel at the end of the month.

I had no issues with the unit itself.

I choose the middle $34 dollar package that Delorme has for the month since it included 40 text messages for free. I have some nice work arounds to post on social media without all the Delorme advertising. Send me a private email if you what to know how.

I sent a note to ask the CEO of Delorme regarding the stolen personal info and what he would do for us who had very private information stolen 4 days ago. It's not a huge company at $20 million, so you would think he would call but alas, no. I guess he feels he can hide and not take responsibility for what I entrusted him to protect.

My rant for the day.....sorry to the forum readers.
Swammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost