Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2013, 22:49   #1

Depth Gauge Gives Wrong Readings, Raymarine

I have suddenly a problem with my about 10 years old depth gauge on a Raymarine ST60
It now always ready about 2.4 to 2.6 meters depth even though we have a depth of hundreds of meters but at least 20 meters and more. I assume this is an electrical problem. Has anybody a suggestion of to figure out what problem it is exactly? How can I track that down to the root cause?
myocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 03:03   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Depths Gauge gives wrong readings, Raymarine

Have you checked your hull and transducer for fouling? Weed that covers the transducer can really screw up the readings.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 05:46   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35

The transducer is where I would start too. If it is inside the hull, make certain that it is still bonded to the hull securely.
DavidLGCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 06:40   #4
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by myocean View Post
I have suddenly a problem with my about 10 years old depth gauge on a Raymarine ST60
It now always ready about 2.4 to 2.6 meters depth even though we have a depth of hundreds of meters but at least 20 meters and more. I assume this is an electrical problem. Has anybody a suggestion of to figure out what problem it is exactly? How can I track that down to the root cause?

If your transducer is exposed to the water, dive down and check that. If it's inside your boat, open it up and make sure the fluid hasn't leaked out. That happened to me once. If that's good, check the wiring. Check the strength of the signal through the wire. Are you sure it's not the screen readout?
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 10:28   #5
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Depth Gauge Gives Wrong Readings, Raymarine

Mate, we have the same instruments, and same problem - although our instruments are a little older than ten years. And ours actually alternates with the wind guage - they take it in turn to work correctly!

It's not fouling, and it's not wiring. It's plain old old age. Throw the thing if you need reliable instruments. We keep ours cos we have a perfectly good wind vane (for when the wind instruments go) and an awesome new sonar depth sounder - so we keep the old instruments around for a laugh. And the speed thing still works - and we need that to record the max speeds for each helmsman on each voyage. Not that it's a race, of course. Not at all.

Oh, and the autopilot is fun too. It reads about a hundred degrees out, and won't be realigned no matter how carefully we follow the instructions. But it still holds a good course... so long as you can accept that it won't read the same number as on the GPS!!!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 10:37   #6

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Depth Gauge Gives Wrong Readings, Raymarine

Hiya Saucy! In the middle east, just about anything in life is an approximation...

Mauritz

Tags
raymarine, depth