Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2024, 14:37   #1

Depth Sounder Compatibility

My 80’s era Coastal Navigator depth sounder has packed it in after 40 years of service. I have purchased a Hawkeye DT1B digital sounder which will fit the existing cutout for the coastal Navigator unit. I hope to use the Coastal Navigator Transducer as it is a permanent fixture in the hull. I have the parts to make a pigtail to connect the Transducer plug to the display unit. My question is whether or not I need to worry about the polarity of the transducer conductors? If I get it wrong, can I just reverse them or will it damage the unit. And yes, I have asked the manufacturers support site these questions. It referred me to some written material that didn’t help and so far are ignoring my follow up questions. And does anybody else use these sounders? Thanks.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2024, 09:07   #2

Re: Depth Sounder Compatibility

No replies? Surely someone out there must know if polarity matters when when connecting a depth transducer. Mfg’er is still ignoring my questions.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2024, 15:57   #3

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Depth Sounder Compatibility

Typically the transducers, like stereo speakers, only have polarity in a relative sort of sense when used in pairs (or larger groups). Some have one leg connected to a shield internally which makes for an implicit polarity, that may or may not matter depending on the sounder electronics (and which is unlikely to matter much).

The main area to watch is to be sure that the new sounder operates on the same frequency as the old sounder.

Tags
depth, depth sounder