Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2020, 07:04   #1

Boat: Contessa 32
Depth sounder problem

I have a Standard DS45 depth sounder mounted in my Catalina 25 and it appears to have some issues. The display has power and is showing two lines across the bottom _ _ but no depth numbers. It’s in about 6th of water parked in the slip.

The manual suggests a test mode that reads down a numeric countdown to test head operation (I guess). This function is turned on by holding the depth button while powering up the sounder and does not appear to work The transducer shoots the signal thru a fiberglass hull and worked for years.

I’m about to make a 5 day trip with the boat that involves some really shallow water and will either have to find out what’s wrong with the depth sounder or install a replacement. Most of the depth sounders available now have a much smaller display head than the DS45 so I will have to make a cover plate to replace the old one.

The cable appears to be ok on its path between the head and the transducer. I haven’t had the hull cleaned this spring and I suppose its possible that I have a algae growth. I just find it hard to believe that it would disrupt the signal and even if it did, I would think you wouldn’t get a _ _ display.

Any help greatly appreciated.
n5ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 17:57   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Depth sounder problem

I can't help you, but this response should get your post back up top where someone may notice it.

Good luck...

Jim
Old 16-05-2020, 18:24   #3

Hi Jim, I appreciate the help.

I'm resigned to the probability of not "fixing" the DS45 and so I ordered a replacement. I really liked the sounder but my departure date is nearing and I really need the shallow water alarm feature on the trip.

I'll fabricate a bezel to cover the large hole vacated by the old sounder. I guess I should count my blessings the old unit failed in a place where I could conveniently do something about it versus in the middle of a 5 day trip.

Thanks and have a nice weekend.

Tom
Old 16-05-2020, 19:44   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

I've had two depth transducers die over the past 20 years. One was a shoot-thru-the-hull, and the other was a standard thru-hull. I was never clear what caused the failures. Could have been that they suffered freezing damage over winter. But I ended up having to replace both.

And growth will definitely mess up my current transducer, although in my case I get faulty numbers, not no signal. Mine is a standard thru-hull version (not shoot-thru), but I wouldn't be surprised if thick growth could mess up your transducer. Certainly worth a try to clean your hull first.
Old 16-05-2020, 20:08   #5

Thanks Mike.
I'm thinking the same as you on the "no signal" display. I would expect bogus numbers if I had a bunch of growth on the hull under the transducer. The hull at the waterline appears fairly clean but I really don't know what it looks like under the transducer. I really didn't want to get in the water to check last weekend because the jellyfish were thick (spaced +- 6" apart).

I'm going to let them thin out a bit before I check again. I'll do that just before I install the new sounder.

Actually there was another transducer installed that I presume was the original that failed for some reason. This is a 1987 boat so it's reasonable to have consumed several sounders. BTW, freezing in the Corpus Christi, TX area is seldom a problem. A cold winter night might get down to 40 degrees. I'm not complaining.

Tags
depth, depth sounder