Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2009, 10:26   #16

Again, thank you for your help.

My present battery is a stock 24 series battery. I am sure it is just a cranking battery not a deep cycle. I do have room to replace the plastic battery box and install a larger battery. I will not be operating the stereo system with the engine off. Much of the time the engine will be operating at idle or slightly above idle, no wake speed, essentially. I have looked at both speakers you mentioned and there is ample room for either of them. If I were to use just a head unit, which brand/model would you suggest for the most power and best sound?

I would suppose if I were to double the battery capacity by installing 2 larger batteries, using a battery switch like a perko, it would extend my time factor. I would think that any charge I got from the alt., however minimal, would be a benefit.

From what you have told me about the speakers you suggest, 8 ohm, it really compounds the lack of power produced by a stand alone head unit?
snook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 11:00   #17

One more question, I have been reading on the new Fusion I500 radio head. The specs., again, perhaps not all that true, but it does say it is powerful. It does have 4 outputs and my question is, can you bridge the outputs to increase the amps to two speakers?
Old 19-04-2009, 12:28   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Is there any problem with using water resistant headsets or ear buds? I have not heard yet why these two alternatives would be an unacceptable idea? That certainly would not require a big power budget and would keep the neighbors happy. There are waterproof cases available for iPods and the headsets or earbuds do not need to be Apple brand specific. There are indeed 12 volt cigarette lighter style chargers available for the iPod.

Also, its not the type of music that bothers people, its the loss of quiet and the feeling of loss of solitude that bothers them. Many people at times would just like their world to be quiet. They want to be away from the noises of civilization. One persons pleasure can become many others irritation or displeasure. It amounts to deciding if you care about others or not.

Taking the iPod route would also keep things simple and less expensive.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 12:56   #19

David,

In a solo world that would work. I have never been a fan of having multiple people in the boat with everyone wearing ear buds, each in their own little world. I have been in a situation like that i.e. airplanes, and there is no conversation and if there is, everyone is pulling the ear buds out only to reinsert them again.
Old 19-04-2009, 13:21   #20

Snook...I had a long answer written and accidentally deleted it. Duh! Anyway...I will be somewhat short this time!
1. No worries about 8 ohm. The speakers will work fine as they are efficient...forget ohms!

2. No...don't hook the speaker wires all up to one set. Use the fader for FULL power control to one set.

3. Fusion. Faggedaboutit. Nice innovation. No track record. Construction suspect. Specs are absolute lies! 70 watts my ass. 9 watts is the THEORETICAL limit...but they all lie. Note Best Buy has the exact same model non-marine version rated at 18 watts...like ALL the other major brands. Customers there have mixed opinions. Still...it will work for you if you like it and it is unique. You take your chances on build quality.

4. I recommend the Alpine CDA-9886M which does a whole lot more and is a top quality product with clean amplifier circuitry. Available at Crutchfield among other places.

Finally...yes...you would be better off with a dedicated deep cycle battery and Perko switch even with this but I think your existing battery/alternator set up will do just fine with it provided you turn it down as you go to idle for long periods of time.
Good luck with it all !

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 14:04   #21

Cam,

Your help has been invaluable! Thanks again. You answered every concern I have and I really appreciate your recommendations. I'll continue with my homework and do some price checking.

Thanks for all your help.