Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2015, 16:20   #16

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: DIY Rope Antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjorgensen View Post
Actually they're a little better at being wideband(ish) and multi-band than a random wire antenna like a backstay. I've never tried one (but probably will be soon at home) to be sure, but based on typical results they should tune across the HF bands at a better SWR with a good antenna tuner (e.g. AT-140) than a random wire rope antenna.
The ones I am aware of are cut to a specific length for a specific band, like a dipole, and do not require a coupler. While they appear to be wideband(ish) compared to a dipole, this only means it can handle a bit out of band - say 75-80M instead of just 75M.

A random wire with a coupler is a true multi-band antenna covering a large swath of frequencies. I don't know much about the bazooka, but can't see how a coupler would work well with one.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 16:41   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Run the lifeline cable straight to the tuner. Why have that connection with all that potential for corrosion?
Old 17-10-2015, 11:42   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The ones I am aware of are cut to a specific length for a specific band, like a dipole, and do not require a coupler. While they appear to be wideband(ish) compared to a dipole, this only means it can handle a bit out of band - say 75-80M instead of just 75M.

A random wire with a coupler is a true multi-band antenna covering a large swath of frequencies. I don't know much about the bazooka, but can't see how a coupler would work well with one.

Mark
Yeah, now that I look at it I have to agree. I'd never payed a lot of attention to them, but someone local claimed to me he got one to work reasonably well multiband. Now that I see how they're built I can't see how they could possibly do much of anything out of band.
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 13:42   #19

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Run the lifeline cable straight to the tuner. Why have that connection with all that potential for corrosion?
I like Bill's setup. I think it would be difficult to make a good connection straight to the tuner with lifeline - a terminal crimp isn't going to work well. Also, it needs strain relief, and Bill's method is about the best one could provide. Besides, how much corrosion on a SS connection would you expect? Especially if covered in whipit or coax seal.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, rope