Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2022, 09:40   #1

DIY Video Camera Options

I have two controls for my windlass, a foot control at the bow, as well as controls at the pedestal. I was thinking about setting up a camera at the bow to make it easier to raise and lower the anchor from the cockpit when I'm sailing single handed or have a non-sailor on board. I have a relatively new B&G system that I believe will support a camera but I wanted to set up something that was simpler and lower cost. Basically a camera that I could attach to the pulpit that would talk to an iphone/ipad App back in the cockpit via Bluetooth or WiFi. Btw, I have a center cockpit and the distance between the bow and the cockpit is approximately 30 - 35 ft. I'm not too familiar with a GoPro camera but would that work? Are there any other cameras I should look at? TIA

-Jim
jimp1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 10:33   #2

Re: DIY Video Camera Options

I do not yet have a boat but there are probably plenty of cameras that would work. I use a gopro for diving as well as recording my boy's soccer games - it's wide view is not the greatest but works. I also have reolink cameras at my property. The gopro has it's own wifi and the reolink can ride on a local wifi network. Both can be viewed from your phone. The reolink could be used as a general security camera if you have access to the internet as well.
bloeffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 08:17   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 45
Re: DIY Video Camera Options

What did you purchase in the end? I'm also looking at DIY camera for security on the phone when I'm in the beach and would like to look onboard.
svtickles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, DIY