Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2023, 07:01   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Do I really NEED Iridium Go?

Hubby and I are experienced sailors, but new cruisers and have been refitting our Westsail 32 for the last 3 years in preparation for departure this November. Our first leg will be a gulf crossing (Texas to the Keys), and then we plan to spend at least a year bumping around the Caribbean before we make any new travel plans.

We are researching the "weather-getting" options and are now wondering how necessary it will be to have an on-board system for what we will be doing. We do have a Garmin In-Reach for basic weather, emergency communication, tracking, etc. My thinking is that the combination of the In-Reach and a knowledgable land-based weather buddy to provide updates would be sufficient for the gulf crossing, and after that, our passages will be short enough that receiving weather updates at sea will not be crucial. We will get our updates when we are coastwise and choose an appropriate weather window.

I'd love to hear from some of you who are cruising without a system like Starlink or Iridium Go.

TIA!
SVCoddiwomple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2023, 07:09   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Do I really NEED Iridium Go?

No need whatsoever.. weather forecasts these days are good for at least 48hrs and few islands are longer than a 24hr hop apart, even if bypassing an island to reach another you should be in range to pick up weather on radio as you pass.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2023, 07:45   #3

Boat: 1978 Tartan 34C
Re: Do I really NEED Iridium Go?

We have been doing just that for the last year. Sailed down the west coast from San Francisco to LaPaz, Mexico. We had a land based friend keep track of us, he would let us know through the InReach a seven day forecast.

We would then check our own weather daily. He would then let us know if it changed dramatically. It worked well.

Now we are in the Sea of Cortez and our sails are mostly day hops.
Old 31-01-2023, 07:52   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjrider View Post
We have been doing just that for the last year. Sailed down the west coast from San Francisco to LaPaz, Mexico. We had a land based friend keep track of us, he would let us know through the InReach a seven day forecast.

We would then check our own weather daily. He would then let us know if it changed dramatically. It worked well.

Now we are in the Sea of Cortez and our sails are mostly day hops.
Now that Zoleo brief issue has been happily solved...

With a "friend on shore", they can send text forecasts each up to 950 characters using app-to-app communications on Zoleo. MUCH more than InReach.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2023, 09:12   #5

Boat: Morgan 382

Everything in your current plans is more coastal cruising than ocean crossings. Always close to land, close to cell phone range, and trips are only a couple days. You don't really need an Iridium Go! or more advanced weather until you cross an Ocean. It's nice to have, but not necessary.
Old 01-02-2023, 15:09   #6

I would get a starlink instead... untill you want to cross oceans.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 16:17   #7

Boat: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
I would get a starlink instead... untill you want to cross oceans.

i'm as big of a starlink cheerleader as there is...but starlink wont be connecting to anything when there is a loss of power.

if you'll be going more that a 2-300 miles offshore...
i'd want keep an iridium go on board.. even i'd rarely (if ever) will use it.

..maybe charged up in a ditch bag with your EPIRB

it me is similar to insurance.. you don't really NEED it...until you do.
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2023, 00:25   #8

There is no black and white answer but is is basically down to your cruising plan.
According to what you describe, with keeping ability to connect to descent network every 24/48h, Garmin InReach seems a sound option. IridiumGo is a must as soon as you stay over 2/3 days offshore. Now, keep in mind that IridiumGo is much more than a weather tool. Not only you will download weather forecasts and GRIB's, but you can send text messages, emails, and more importantly, place good quality phone calls.
If you choose InReach, you may consider a regular sat phone too. IridiumGo is all in.
azkenean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iridium