Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2020, 05:27   #1

Boat: Sea Ray 440 Aft Cabin
Docking cameras

Hi, I’m new to big boat piloting, and would appreciate any and all aids to help in docking and undocking. One thing I noticed is that from the bridge helm, I cannot see the sides of the boat or the swim deck.

Has anyone have success in using cameras for this purpose? I have WiFi on board, so I can use wireless cameras if they would provide good resolution and meet the piloting need, and not just technical “fluff”, if you know what I mean.

Thanks!
awsmits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 05:35   #2

Boat: Tayana 47
Re: Docking cameras

How big and what type boat?
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 05:44   #3

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

I see Sea Ray 440 aft cabin in his post.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 05:54   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Better than cameras are headsets for crew (if crew is part of the picture). A good crew can supply you with distances and directions, such that they’re driving the boat through your hands.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 06:15   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Consider the posibility of rear-view mirrors, at less cost and more reliability. I found that my view down the sides of the boat was limited and needed for docking and leaving. I put one flat and one convex mirror, of the truck variety, on each side of the wheelhouse, and that solved the problem.

I've been tempted to go the camera route for a view over the stern, not just for docking but for a general view when under way. I have not done it yet, and should you go that route I'd like to hear about your experiences.
Old 13-10-2020, 06:51   #6

Boat: Hans Christian 33t

I'm really tempted to add one of the overpriced garmin cameras on the top of the mast. I thought about the wifi type camera then view on cell phone, but almost all of those have a VERY noticeable delay in viewing. I know in cars or backup cameras that's brutal and worse than having none, but not sure if the boat would be slow enough to make it usable or not. the other issue, most of the budget wifi cameras would probably die in fairly short order in a salt/marine type environment.
the main hold up with the garmin, is I want to see if I can save/output video from it since I think a view from the top of the mast is a cool photo/clip to share without me having to send the drone up.
hscrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 07:24   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 43 Powercat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Better than cameras are headsets for crew (if crew is part of the picture). A good crew can supply you with distances and directions, such that they’re driving the boat through your hands.
Totally agree. Better than cameras are headsets for communication with the Admiral & crew. Eliminates any and all yelling and keeps it quiet & respectable for guests and neighbors.

BUT, if you want a solid temporary solution for when you are alone, you can buy self contained, battery powered removable cameras used for trailering, rowing shells and other functions [check out Hyndsight cameras]. PM me if interested in a used unit.

I went that route and it helped me (and the Admiral) get comfortable with docking our larger, new-to-us boat, with lots of blind spots. We now use headsets for docking and anchoring and it is superb. I do not need the cameras, but they really did come in handy.

Stephan
Stephan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 08:30   #8

Boat: Sea Ray 440 Aft Cabin

Lots of good ideas. Thanks. What type of two-way communication devices are working best for you? We have Bluetooth ear sets connected to our iPhones. Is there a more convenient or effective solution?
awsmits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 12:58   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

headset, not earset. Usually an extension of a handheld VHF radio, with voice-activated transmission, so both people have their hands free. I'm sure that you can do that with a cell phone, but the practice precedes cell phones by many years.
Old 13-10-2020, 13:02   #10

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmits View Post
Lots of good ideas. Thanks. What type of two-way communication devices are working best for you? We have Bluetooth ear sets connected to our iPhones. Is there a more convenient or effective solution?
If you have iPhones and airpods why not just use the walkie talkie app? I use this regularly in non marine settings but it would be perfect for docking manouvres surely?
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 19:25   #11

many boats use cameras for docking.

I would not waste my time with wifi. and run a wired camera to your plotter. either analog or IP depending on what plotter you have.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 19:29   #12

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

We dont use headsets and there is no yelling and we occasionally if I can remember to put it out, use a camera coming into a fuel dock.

We have the $50 a pair reversing camera with their own screen off of ebay
One is permanently looking in the engine room, the other gets clamped to the rail on the side the fuel dock is on.
Reversing lines help line up the dock.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 05:03   #13

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmits View Post

SENA and Eartech are the two most commonly recommended, I think. Search here for threads with those words.

We tried the cell phone thing for a while, but occasionally found ourselves in areas where cell reception sucked.

We also tried headsets on Family Radio walkie-talkie things. The radios themselves work very well, but the voice-activated (VOX) feature sucked due to initial latency. Had to start each sentence with "One, Two, Three, Four... " and then whatever substance needed to follow. The delay, especially while docking, was too much to deal with...

-Chris
Old 14-10-2020, 05:14   #14

Boat: Tartan 3800

There is a really good waterproof headset available for the Standard Horizon HX-380 marine radios that can be used either with push-to-talk or vox. I have two of the radios and one headset. Usually we just use the radios by themselves.

For docking though I like to come alongside using only an aft springline (and fenders). Once that's on I leave enough forward power in to hold the boat to the dock while I get the other lines on. I only involve crew if there is adverse wind.
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, dock, Docking