Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2011, 21:32   #1

Does a Wireless 3G AND Wifi Input Router Exist ?

I would like to create an access point on my boat so that more than one pc can use the internet.
I have a nanostation m2 for the wifi part which can plug straight into the ethernet port on a wireless access point (eg apple airport). This works perfectly.
I am now looking for a 3g solution for times when wifi is not available.

So it would be great if there was a 3g router out there somewhere that not only had the 3g usb modem as input but that could also accept the ethernet cable from the nanostation.

Anyone got any ideas on this??

Thanks John
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 21:43   #2
cruiser

3g as in cellular? you can use pdatether? it has usb and bluetooth...
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 21:56   #3

Boat: Soon: Vision 444
A company called Cradlepoint (Extending and Protecting 3G/4G Networks Wirelessly | Cradlepoint Technology) has routers that does this. You can plug in your usb data stick and your nanostation. If wifi isn't available, it will failover to the 3g.
jaredko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 22:44   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Or buy an iPhone.... It can act as a router for up to 5 computers
Old 16-02-2011, 02:08   #5

John, I use exactly what you are looking for - the Teltonika RUT105. It is a 3G router with Ethernet and WiFi. It uses an external 3G antenna, which is exactly what you need on a boat - a hi-gain antenna mounted as high as possible to give the best off-shore range.

See: Teltonika RUT105 (HSUPA router) | Teltonika
malcolmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 05:50   #6

Hi jaredko and malcolmh,
Thanks very much for the suggestions. Both are just what I was looking for.
Unfortunately malcolmh, your post came 1 hour too late as I have now ordered the cradlepoint ctr35.

Thanks again to both of you.
John
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 07:28   #7
cruiser

you can actually turn your computer into a 'router'...

so, either you connect to the internet thru your wifi connection thru cable/dsl, whatever, or connect your computer to your phone and tether it...

pretty simple right there.. for me, it is two click....

to allow others to log onto 'your network', just read this article...

I did it before, but have re formatted my laptop recently to get rid of the way too many stuff / things I have tried out over the couple years i have had this machine... (it runs so much faster and cooler then before)...

Turn Your Windows 7 Computer Into a WiFi Router In 5 Minutes, Free & No Hardware

good luck

bill
Old 16-02-2011, 19:16   #8
rja

Boat: Nordhavn 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmh View Post
John, I use exactly what you are looking for - the Teltonika RUT105. It is a 3G router with Ethernet and WiFi. It uses an external 3G antenna, which is exactly what you need on a boat - a hi-gain antenna mounted as high as possible to give the best off-shore range.

See: Teltonika RUT105 (HSUPA router) | Teltonika

Wow, this looks to be exactly what I'm looking for .. can you confirm that it works on US and non US cell freqs? From what I've read in the docs it should but I want to make sure. I was considering the Option Globesurfer II but it comes in either a US or a non-US version.. I'd like something that could do both.

Thanks,
RJA
rja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 01:05   #9
cruiser

no disrespect, but if you got a question about it's performance and specificantions, wouldnt you want to contact the manufacturers or distributor? Malcolmh pretty much offered you his experience, and even got you a link. Hows about contacting Teltonika direct?

again, not trying to be a rude butthole, buteven if Malcolmh answered/confirmed it, he maybe mistaken...

good luck, and thanks for asking this question, I have learned a lot from the answers and information...
Old 17-02-2011, 01:45   #10

RJA,

The Teltonika 3G & GSM specifications are the same as the iPhone4, therefore will work with same networks as the iPhone worldwide. Mine has a CE marking, but no FCC marking. A quick search of the FCC site only shows up one Teltonika device, but not this one.

Try contacting Teltonika about US availability.
Old 19-02-2011, 02:34   #11

Also, check this out: Shakespeare CruiseNet Marine Internet Routers
Old 21-02-2011, 11:26   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: Does a Wireless 3G AND Wifi Input Router Exist ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Or buy an iPhone.... It can act as a router for up to 5 computers
Just an update on this..... I've been using the MyWi app on my iPhone for a while now.. there have been ZERO issues or problems. Yes you do have to Jailbreak your phone, but that is easy if you use this.

Long story short; I can support 5 computers by WiFi from my cell with no wires. I have a Wilson cellular booster installed in the boat with an antenna up on the mast.

I can get online SECURELY as well as have voice coms by phone at close to 30 miles offshore. In US waters my rate plan covers 4gb/month... It gets a bit pricey for internet outside the US, but text messages are fairly reasonable.
Old 21-02-2011, 19:37   #13

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Re: Does a Wireless 3G AND Wifi Input Router Exist ?

I have a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH Wi-Fi router which has 5 gigabit Ethernet ports and a USB port to support flash memory thumb drives or USB-attached hard drives. With the proper DD-WRT firmware installed, you can plug in a CDMA or GSM broadband modem which turns it into a 3G cellular router with Wi-Fi. It comes with a 12V power supply, so it adapts readily to the boat's DC system.

I haven't yet tried my Verizon broadband modem yet, but I have been playing a USB attached printer / scanner on it so it can act as a print and scan server without having to fire up our big DC-powered PC server. The printing works fine, but I'm still working on getting the scanner portion working properly. I think if I connect a USB hub to it, I can get the 3G modem working simultaneously with the print/scanner server functionality. And did I mention that it sips only about 3W of juice, and is available for only $80 from Amazon?
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote