Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2014, 03:02   #136

Boat: Hanse 385
Re: Does anyone have an Iridium Go yet?

Gordon,

How are you getting the gribs to load?

I use weather 4D pro to send the request, get the email back with an attachment but when I click on that it shows apps that can open it but clicking on any of them does nothing.

I can't get the gribs to load up.

This is on an iPad with latest iOS. Latest software.

Regards,
Simon

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

www.sailing-interlude.com
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:56   #137

Hi Monte,

Just wondering if you've dug into the firewall side of things more with the GO?

Regards,
Simon

Old 10-11-2014, 06:49   #138

Oh great... So I take it no one who is using the GO and it's working has upgraded to iOS 8 yet then?!

Check this..

Iridium Mail & Web unusable for a month for GRIB files !

4 nov 2014
by Francis.
Since release Apple iOS 8 early October, Iridium Mail & Web application (which replaced AxcessPoint Mail & Web application) is no longer able to export an attachment in another application by the function "Open in".… ".
Thus can no longer use a weather GRIB file received as an attachment from the SailDocs server in any application.

Iridium has responded to my request by mail that an update would be published October :
On March 09/10/2014 19:15, Application Certification a écrit :
Hi Francis, Thank you for contacting Iridium. In reference to your concern, Iridium is working on an update for the Iridium Mail & Web app. This update will support iOS8 platform and is expected to be released this month. Looks,
Iridium Application Certification Group

It will be nearly a month, and many sailors provided with Iridium + Axcesspoint, or more recently Irifdium GO! and wishing to cross the Atlantic can no longer ensure their safety by the reception of the weather forecast. You should know that can publish on the App Store updates of application in emergency procedure in 24 hours, and it was confirmed to us that Iridium Corporation is in possession of the corrective update carried out by the developer, company Global Marine Network, since the date of publication of iOS 8.
Such a lax attitude towards its customers is unacceptable for a company that spends as much time communicating on social networks @IridiumComm. It is also at the expense of application developers who rely on messaging services satellites for offshore weather files requests, whose customers can no longer benefit from a month. The complaints are many :
On 3 nov. 2014, up to 18:43, jeconover@SV-growltiger.com wrote:

Joan conover sent a message via the contact form on http://www.weather4d.com/contact.

How is the path set for the weather4d app to recognize the .grb file which is an Iridium email in attachment. have an offshore boat who is really hosed up and could be in danger if this is not corrected. In fact, there are several boats with similar issues. I can reach the vessel via 160 text characters. I hope you can resolve this issue quickly. Otherwise as we have close to 100 rally boats each season, we will have to suggest Grib Explorer. Since I like your product, and since its likely more a path setting in IPAD, hope you have a solution.

Evidently Iridium was warned over TWO MONTHS ago about ths issue with iOS8! I think if you get flack from your customers, make Iridium provide lots of free minutes until they get it fixed.
Now you have a vessel, offshore, without internet connection who is depending on your application, Weather4D, for weather files…and the plan is to fix it how? They will go through the Gulf Stream tomorrow on passage to the BVIs. I can reach them via SMS or HF radio, should I tell them anything? I am going to tell them to go to Iridium as it is an Iridium app problem. However, part of it comes down to WHEN application developers KNEW there was a problem with iOS8. The vendor(s) who sold the app to someone with an iOS8 IPAD–well they are the ones who are likely more to blame than anyone. Its taken hours of my time, and I am not paid to fix others problems like this. I would also comment, should the vessel if no other tablet or PC is available, have weather issues–it is not good for Iridium or the apps the customer is not able to use. Have you seen the weather setup in the Caribbean to the N and W of BVIs later this week? The LOW? What use technology when its not working and the customer is not told about the problems prior to purchase? Would hope all your vendors were notified, at least now, of this problem. Don't sell apps to IPAD owners with iOS8 and Iridium!
Joan E. Conover
SV Growltiger, Hampton, VA

Old 10-11-2014, 07:15   #139
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Thanks Simon, yes it should open in the email attachment . Looks lime a bad idea to dl the OS update. I haven't looked into the firewall details though
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:21   #140

Yep. I'm screwed unless iridium releases a fix. What a joke.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:24   #141
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

It sounds like an apple issue though, if you have the grib in you r email but it won't allow you to select it to open?
Try email a grib to your normal email account, does it give you the option to open it in any grib program?
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:29   #142

From the reading I did it's down to the app makers. They need to code a new way of handling paths with iOS 8. Seems this was convayed to them months ago but they have been too slow to act.

In better news we made it to the Canaries!

Old 10-11-2014, 08:03   #143

Simon..have someone email your weather until you are able to get the GRIB's sent to you. Bummer that happened to you. If you don't get any takers drop me a note and I'll send you daily weather as I'll be out there around the same time. R
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 00:19   #144
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

Hi Simon, I am sorry you have this issue and pleased you have been able to get some answers and looks like support from some very helpful sailors. Where in the Canaries are you, we are in Marina Lanzanrote, would be great to come to your boat. Let's hope this issue is resolved soon for all those who have downloaded the Apple upgrade..
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 00:29   #145

Hi,

Yep fingers crossed. In the mean time I'm going to use the Grib explorer plus app and buy a months worth of downloads for the ARC crossing.
This app has grib downloading via the GO built in so the it works well.

Hopefully by the time the month is over Iridium will have pulled their finger out and released an update.

We're in the marina on the southwest of the island, can't remember it's name, but we're heading over to Las Palmas today so won't be able to meet up.

Are you heading over to Las Palmas also?

Regards,
Simon

Old 12-11-2014, 09:58   #146

I am picking my Iridium Go up shortly. Can anyone comment on which type of external antenna you have installed? I want to do this right and have the best suited for sailing. I have found several different ones on the web.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Can-Vik Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 08:46   #147

Gordon, please let me know which marine antenna you are using. Also how high up do you have it installed? Is it essential that it is installed in the top of the mast?

Can-Vik Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 12:03   #148

The IridiumGo is crap compaired to the isathub by inmarsat.

Go has only 2.4 kbs when the isathub has 240/364 kbs, service plans not much different.

https://www.ashburysatcom.co.uk/shop...74kaAnnC8P8HAQ
chris2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 12:18   #149

Not much different? I can't see an unlimited plan for $120 per month there.

Problem with more speed is you'll want to use it. 500MB for $1500 per month?! Erm no thanks. Have fun updating your facebook as it costs you $20 per go.

The go is far from crap. It does what I need at sea very well. Emails, calls, txt's, and weather.

Old 16-11-2014, 13:58   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2014 View Post
The IridiumGo is crap compaired to the isathub by inmarsat.

Go has only 2.4 kbs when the isathub has 240/364 kbs, service plans not much different.

https://www.ashburysatcom.co.uk/shop...74kaAnnC8P8HAQ
Good luck maintaining satellite connection on a moving boat
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iridium