Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2024, 13:08   #1

“Drop in” replacements for Airmar transducers

Would appreciate identification & suggested replacements for the circa 2009(?) Airmar transducers shown in the attached photos. Ideally I would install a new RM ITC-5 package; a new wind sensor during Spring 2024; and install new depth & speed or depth-speed-temp transducers during the 2025 haul out. (All w/o filling and drilling holes in the boat).

If I’m at least certain of the models I have, I’ll have a basis for communications w/RM.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1531.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	420.4 KB
ID:	289229   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1541.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	289230  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1548.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	396.3 KB
ID:	289231  
Drennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2024, 13:28   #2

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: “Drop in” replacements for Airmar transducers

IIRC Airmar marks their transducers with labels affixed to the cables, near the connector end. Do you see any labels anywhere on the cables? If not then you would probably need to know the interior diameter and length of the included thruhull to match to a newer product. Usually the speed sensors can be removed while in the water, and a new one installed by slipping into the existing thruhull, if the dimensions match (they often do). Depth transducers usually have to be replaced out of the water. However, as a somewhat temporary work-around, the new transducer can be used shooting through the hull - just use K-Y Jelly between the transducer and hull, and hold the transducer in place with some tape. (This is the technique for finding a good location before drilling.) I have gone years this way without permanently affixing the puck.

I would not waste your money on the ITC-5 if it is not needed; it is almost as expensive as a new transducer.

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2024, 17:44   #3

Boat: Catalina 320

The speed/temp is an st800 analog, the ITC-5 is to connect analog transducers (like yours) to new nema2000 or Seatalkng instruments.
A new i50/i60 gauge package comes with new transducers and is cheaper than buying individual gauges. Not sure why you are replacing transducers or what your goal is.
https://defender.com/en_us/raymarine...80153138713961
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2024, 09:11   #4

Thank you, CarinaPDX and Calf.Ted.

We are, at least, the 5th owners of our 1986 Gozzard. A DIY renovation of an antique house (e.g., knob-&-tube wiring , termites …) hours from home kept us moored and docked for years.

Meanwhile, the rats’ nests of electronics went to …. Rather than deal further w/bad connections, lost satellites, etc., I’m replacing all SeaTalk1 w/NMEA2K (Axiom, ACU-200 ..) while rebates are available. I’m hoping a transducer/converter package will ultimately save a bit more - the 15+ year old wind sensor & and a ST60 display need replacing anyway (and the 1st mate has ordered “just buy everything!”).

Enough sob story. Thanks for suggesting the label check (ST is legible) & K-Y/tape and for confirming the ST800 fit. Your respective replies put us closer to taking the BIG step.
Drennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2024, 17:37   #5

Boat: Catalina 320

Well, now your options are manifold let me just outline a couple points about nema2000 networks.
Radar is proprietary, if you want Ray radar you need Ray MFD, same for Garmin and B&G.
New MFD's will also act as control head for same brand autopilot, but any other brand MFD on a nema2000 network will send only "steer to" waypoint data to an AP.
Seatalkng is same as nema2000 just different plugs, adapter cables available.
Airmar transducers are common to most brands (?all?) so a nema2000 transducer like dst810 works with all.
B&G goes with 2 multi function instruments instead of 3 like RM, you can put everything on one big MFD, if you wish. Some people use tablets or Ipads or such.
Friend with a biz that does this says currently B&G is his biggest seller for sail vessels.
My system is cobbled together ST60's but looks grand on the large full color Garmin MFD.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, replacements, transducer