Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2022, 22:36   #16

Boat: Grand Banks Europa 42
Re: DSC Distress Calls --- I can't take it anymore!

I’ve had a similar DSC call issue with my cortex system as well. Installed the system in May of 2021 and the VHF side of this system has been problematic. Had lock masters using bull horns to get my attention because the VHF was stuck transmitting. Other boaters told me my transmitted voice quality was poor. All issues were reported to Vesper but they weren’t very useful. I am convinced that it is all due firmware bugs. Been sitting in Fort Myers since Dec 1 so I haven’t used Cortex for awhile but there have been a few firmware updates since so I hoping things will improve. Interested to see what happens now that Garmin owns them.
walbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 02:02   #17

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

Unfortunately it is one of the shortcomings of DSC radio in that some misguided person on the steering committee that decided on what should be included on DSC radios, thought it would be a good idea to not be able to mute emergency calls. I can understand the logic but they didn't think it through. It should have been a feature that allowed an alert from the same source to be muted, which would not have been difficult in that a DSC call has a unique code (MMSI number) attached to it. Here in the Solent, on a busy weekend it can drive you to distraction because some damn fool has pressed the wrong button or has sent out a distress call when their engine has stopped whilst in the Solent (Max. 2.5mi wide) in a sailing vessel with a nice breeze blowing, or some other such nonsense. Unfortunately turning off the radio is not an option.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 02:16   #18

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Could you provide a link to the law that pertains to mandating a radio of any kind be running?

To my knowledge, the radio need only be installed and CAPABLE of Bi-Directional communication. Here is the legislation pertaining to Commercial vessels. (recreational vessels rarely if ever have MORE stringent requirements than recreational)

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR) Title 46 - Shipping CHAPTER I - COAST GUARD, DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY SUBCHAPTER C - UNINSPECTED VESSELS PART 28 - REQUIREMENTS FOR COMMERCIAL FISHING INDUSTRY VESSELS

46 CFR § 28.245 - Communication equipment.

§ 28.245 Communication equipment.
(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) through (e) of this section, each vessel must be equipped as follows.

(1) Each vessel must be equipped with a VHF radiotelephone capable of transmitting and receiving on the frequency or frequencies within the 156-162 MHz band necessary to communicate with a public coast station or U.S. Coast Guard station serving the area in which the vessel is operating.
Agreed, and a point to bear in mind is that a DSC radio will still give you a emergency alert warning even if you are not listening to ch16, since it uses a dedicated ch (70 I believe) that is always being monitored. Dual watch and triwatch if you have it, always include ch 16 as one of the frequencies so I always have that on except when entering a marina or port where I am required to monitor a particular frequency and don't want to miss calls or be interrupted (e.g. ch 11 in Portsmouth Harbour)
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 12:02   #19

Boat: Swan 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

The CG can only do so much without a position. Theoretically, their fancy new radio system can automatically triangulate a signal, but last I knew that was only for channel 16. From what I've seen, not all the watchstanders seem to know how to use that function anyway.

Beyond that, they'd have to go out there with some RDF equipment, tuned correctly and operated by someone properly trained, and search. Even then, chances are the signal will lead back to a marina with hundreds of boats in it.

Just gonna add on to update "the last you knew".
The CG R21 system is set to CH16 by default, but can manually changed to any major marine frequency (including CH70 for DSC) as needed.

As far as training, Im gonna stop you there. They receive extensive R21 in A school these days (in fact, it consists of the majority of their curriculum). Furthermore, they are required to display proficiency with the system (including changing RDF settings) to gain qualification in their position as a radio watchstander.

- Jay
Cari Laut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 12:40   #20

Boat: 1987 Liberty 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrothedd View Post
Well, turning off your radio is an irresponsible thing to do, not mentioning illegal if you have a VHF radio on your boat. Glenn
Agreed but my post was more of a how-to question for other Vesper Cortex users on how they worked around ignoring irrelevant DSC calls especially when docked at a marina and unable to assist anyway.
GadgetGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 12:46   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by walbee View Post
I’ve had a similar DSC call issue with my cortex system as well. Installed the system in May of 2021 and the VHF side of this system has been problematic. Had lock masters using bull horns to get my attention because the VHF was stuck transmitting. Other boaters told me my transmitted voice quality was poor. All issues were reported to Vesper but they weren’t very useful. I am convinced that it is all due firmware bugs. Been sitting in Fort Myers since Dec 1 so I haven’t used Cortex for awhile but there have been a few firmware updates since so I hoping things will improve. Interested to see what happens now that Garmin owns them.
I've had ALL of those problems since I got mine in May 2021 too! Wireless HP1 was replaced due to a stuck transmitter button. Wired HP is being replaced now because the wheel stopped working. M1 Hub regularly loses signal and only unplugging it from power resets it. No bridge operators can hear us when the motor is running yet... if I do a radio check now sitting here at the marina in Punta Gorda, someone would say, "Loud and Clear" for sure. I'm keeping it but I'm buying a backup handheld before I head south again next week. I'm really glad you posted this reply because now I don't think it's me and that I didn't read the manual enough!
Old 23-02-2022, 12:50   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry1 View Post
The voice was calling out "Man Overboard" repeatedly. Yes, it was my Cortex relaying the same type of message as yours.
[/I][/B]
The Man Overboard alert is a whole other problem. I've always been onboard when it has alarmed as far as I know but it happens without anyone being near the radio (and a few times in the middle of the night!)
This system is quirky for sure.
Old 23-02-2022, 13:33   #23
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

the issue of Nuisance Undesignated Distress Alerts has long been realised as an issue , but at present there's no easy answer as nobody wants to block a legitimate distress call
Old 28-02-2022, 06:36   #24
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I installed the Cortex about a year aga and had similar problems with DCS and with the MOB feature. Somehow I was able to go into the settings and modify the MOB feature so it didn't keep going off. The DCS was more irritating and still not totally fixed. It seems ships test their DCS or send out notices often that sets the system off. We had it go off quite often mid Atlantic, like a 1000 miles from shore. There was a fairly major firmware update a few months ago, maybe it fixed it.

I like the monitor features and the anchor alarm though.
Old 28-02-2022, 06:59   #25

From your Location is one of the seven or eight marinas in your area. It also sounds like you’re tied up to a dock. So you can shut the radio off. If you’re at anchor you can still shut your main vhf radio off and use a portable handheld vhf radio instead. I also Suggest consulting someone who’s an expert on marine radios maybe even buying a different radio
edlepera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 07:03   #26

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrothedd View Post
Well, turning off your radio is an irresponsible thing to do, not mentioning illegal if you have a VHF radio on your boat. The DSC calls can be a bother, but in my opinion, if one life is saved via the DSC Alert, it's worth the inconvenience of silencing the alert. It should have the MMSI number of the boat making the call. Report the alert to the USCG on Channel 16. They most probably heard it also, but it will help them triangulate on their position. If you are interested, read the reports of sailors being saved via their VHF and HF DSC distress calls. See Boatwatch.org. Thanks. Glenn
Say what? He's in a Marina. Turn it off

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 07:25   #27

Boat: twinkeels, 9m

a temporary dropout of gps signal can cause alarms, the vhf understanding: no more gps = no more dsc
bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 07:29   #28

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil56 View Post
a temporary dropout of gps signal can cause alarms, the vhf understanding: no more gps = no more dsc
Ahhh, yes, since AIS requires GPS. Might want to check to see if your NMEA has a prob.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 07:34   #29

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

Interesting to see that others have been a frustrated on the Cortex VHF. Like others, I have had mine for a year. The AIS, monitoring, anchor alarm all work great. I would buy it again just for those features (I was upgrading from the Vesper 8000). The VHF not so much. I'm going to be installing the fourth M1 in a year to try to fix the VHF. The good news is I kept my ICOM and it is connected to the VHF in of the M1 and works fine.. so for me it is not the end of the world... just a pain to have two handsets at the helm.
I think they had a design issue with the VHF transmitter. I recorded my transmission and it had drop outs which is why nobody could understand me. Vesper said it an A to D problem. The latest M1 (#3) I got solved that problem, but when the unit warmed up, the range of all VHF reception and transmission went to hell. That unit got returned. I have my fingers crossed that number 4 (arriving tomorrow) will be the magic bullet.
As for the original post, not sure this really is a Cortex issue. I had both my Icom and Cortex DSC alarms going off very early in the morning with a Mayday call. Boat was near 50 miles away, south of Nassau. They both kept repeating every couple of minutes for 30 minutes. I reported it to the Coast Guard. The boat reporting the Mayday soon showed up near me (they were a very fast boat). I reached out to them and they apologized said that somebody had been testing features on the AIS at 5am.
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 09:07   #30

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

AIS is a great tool when used properly. However, it has become the marine version of the boy who cried wolf. We approach a gas dock and the alarm sounds. Someone in the marina left their AIS on even though the boat has been docked for a week and it’s on a inside dock. While traveling on a narrow canal, about every third boat over 25’ has the AIS turned on so we get an alarm. In a busy harbor, the alarms are so frequent that the system is a distraction rather than enhancing safety. To avoid the constant annoying distractions, we shut off the AIS receiver unless we are operating at night or in poor visibility. Too bad we can’t program the AIS to turn on and off with the Nav lights.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, distress, dsc