Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2021, 09:03   #1

Dual Battery Isolator Problem

Last year at some point I had to switch from using Battery 1 or 2 to using both batteries just to get any power. I replaced the switch but it didn't fix the problem. Last weekend I replaced the isolator and it fixed until I tried to start the engine. As soon as I tried to start the engine I heard a "pop" sound and now I'm right back where I started, using both batteries to get any power. The batteries are new. Please help.

Rinker 2006 270 EC
mquinton699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 09:12   #2

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: Dual Battery Isolator Problem

Are the batteries getting charged? What are their voltages?
Have you checked all connections for corrosion?
Lots of other possibilities.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 09:15   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquinton699 View Post
Last year at some point I had to switch from using Battery 1 or 2 to using both batteries just to get any power. I replaced the switch but it didn't fix the problem. Last weekend I replaced the isolator and it fixed until I tried to start the engine. As soon as I tried to start the engine I heard a "pop" sound and now I'm right back where I started, using both batteries to get any power. The batteries are new. Please help.

Rinker 2006 270 EC
show picture. something with wire is wrong
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 09:47   #4

It was working fine until the battery switch was turned off while the motor was running.
Old 28-04-2021, 09:51   #5

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquinton699 View Post
It was working fine until the battery switch was turned off while the motor was running.
Check for charging, doing that can blow the diodes in the alternator.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 10:17   #6

My voltage meter on the dash shows it is charging. The big question is why would it pop the isolator when I try to start it?
Old 28-04-2021, 10:21   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Can you provide a schematic of what is wired where? And what make of isolator you’ve got?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 09:09   #8

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

You wrote in the first post "Last weekend I replaced the isolator and it fixed until I tried to start the engine.". What do you mean that it fixed? What tests did you do to determine everything was working right after replacing isolator?
As a minimum, please do the following tests:

Disconnect any shore power chargers, wait 30 minutes. Then measure battery voltage before starting engine, with the battery switch in OFF position. Once you get it started, then test voltage at alternator output terminal, and on each side of the isolator, and at each battery terminal with the switch in the Batt1, Batt2 and Both positions. For these tests, it is essential that you connect the black lead of the multimeter to the same place each time, preferably the alternator case or it's ground terminal.

Also please let us know what is the battery size, isolator type and model, and the alternator type (at least, is it a standard automotive size or something larger) and the voltage regulator type (external or internal to the alternator). Post results here, you will get better help.

BTW if you heard a pop, I would bet there is a bad connection or a short circuit somewhere.
Old 29-04-2021, 10:25   #9

Boat: Custom built Skookum 53' trawler

Do you have an ACR between the two banks? it could be wired incorrectly and the pop you are hearing is the ACR solenoid switching the batteries off instead of isolating the banks.
MV Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery