Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2021, 16:27   #1

Boat: Hunter 38
Dual Raymarine C90W only one controls radar?

I'm confused and need assistance with this aging suite of electronics, factory installed in 2007.

I have a Raymarine C90W at the nav station and at the helm. The unit at the helm is the "master". Other than that, all configuration the same between the two units (ports, settings). I have a Raymarine 4kW radome.

Only the nav station chart plotter can turn on/off the radar. Unless my nav station unit is on, I get "no data source" on the helm chart plotter. If its on, no problem reading the radar data.

I want to replace the nav station unit with probably an openplotter/pi but can't do that if I can't figure out this issue. I'm convinced there's a setting somewhere, I vaguely remember at survey I turned the radar on with the helm plotter.

Anybody have an idea?
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 20:37   #2

Re: Dual Raymarine C90W only one controls radar?

Is the radar plugged into the nav station plotter? If so it needs to be on for the radar to work.

Are The wide series still analog or were they digital radars? Can’t recall.

If digital does the radar go to a hub or a screen?

Looks like the 90w has 2 sths ports. So I’m betting the radar plugs into nav plotter. Then nav plotter hooked to helm. So the nav one would have to be on. If radar is up mast this makes sense with shorter run and less Cables up binical.

Is this is the case. You could just plug the 2 ethernet ends together behind nav plotter if removed. To pass radar to helm.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 02:23   #3

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
Are The wide series still analog or were they digital radars?
Digital and my guess is that you're spot on with both problem and resolution.
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:20   #4

Quote:
Is the radar plugged into the nav station plotter? If so it needs to be on for the radar to work.

Are The wide series still analog or were they digital radars? Can’t recall.

If digital does the radar go to a hub or a screen?

Looks like the 90w has 2 sths ports. So I’m betting the radar plugs into nav plotter. Then nav plotter hooked to helm. So the nav one would have to be on. If radar is up mast this makes sense with shorter run and less Cables up binical.

Is this is the case. You could just plug the 2 ethernet ends together behind nav plotter if removed. To pass radar to helm.
AFAICT the radar, two plotters, and a few instruments are all connected on two busses, seatalk and seatalk hs. the plotter supposedly acts as a repeater between the busses.

I am in the process of trying to trace the actual cabling, my nav pod is held together with some security screws and I didn't have the right bits on hand. However it is possible there are TWO seatalk busses and the the radar/nav station plotter sits on one, and the helm on the other. I'll explore this.

However I'm 95% sure that during survey I turned the radar on/off with the helm unit, which would indicate something with settings.
Old 11-06-2021, 01:38   #5

there is 2 ways to run the STHS. one is to buy an expensive hub and run the radar and both screens to the hub. then either screen can see the radar if the other is off. the other is to run the radar to one screen. then connect the 2 screens together on the 2nd sths port. which does not require the $$ hub. this is probaly what you have. pull out the chart table screen and see if it has 1 or 2 sths cables on the back. if it has 2 you probably have your aswner. you may also have a dsm sounder box on the sths. though normally sail boats have st60 depth gauges instead of sonars
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 09:16   #6

Quote:
there is 2 ways to run the STHS. one is to buy an expensive hub and run the radar and both screens to the hub. then either screen can see the radar if the other is off. the other is to run the radar to one screen. then connect the 2 screens together on the 2nd sths port. which does not require the $$ hub. this is probaly what you have. pull out the chart table screen and see if it has 1 or 2 sths cables on the back. if it has 2 you probably have your aswner. you may also have a dsm sounder box on the sths. though normally sail boats have st60 depth gauges instead of sonars
I think you are correct. Also ST-60 stuff, its all that generation. I want to scrap the two displays, and also install a decent external GPS on the network so that everything can use it.

Just tracing the wires and determining current configuration is my first step though.

Tags
marine, radar, raymarine