Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2018, 20:24   #16

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)
Re: Electrical issues with Autopilot 2 days into pacific crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilenart View Post
If they are two days out, cannot fix it and have no backup they should turn around / head to Galapagos and get it fixed
Turn around because a single piece of auxiliary equipment failed? I hope you are not serious.

Fix it on the journey if possible, but do not waste at least four days to do so, and an unknown amount of time in the Galapagos, even assuming it can be fixed and that the fix can be accomplished in there. But the choice is the captain's.
Old 20-06-2018, 22:27   #17

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Turn around because a single piece of auxiliary equipment failed? I hope you are not serious.

Fix it on the journey if possible, but do not waste at least four days to do so, and an unknown amount of time in the Galapagos, even assuming it can be fixed and that the fix can be accomplished in there. But the choice is the captain's.
If they have no backup and cannot get it working, yes. The marquesas have no marine repair services, so they would have to keep hand steering to Papeete, a distance of 4,000 nautical miles. Given a choise to sail back 200 nautical miles or divert to the Galapagoes (which does have some marine services), it would be the smart / safe course of action.
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 06:34   #18

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilenart View Post
If they have no backup and cannot get it working, yes. The marquesas have no marine repair services, so they would have to keep hand steering to Papeete, a distance of 4,000 nautical miles. Given a choise to sail back 200 nautical miles or divert to the Galapagoes (which does have some marine services), it would be the smart / safe course of action.
Well, there it is. Hand steering, like a proper watch and lookout, is too much in an electronic age.
Old 21-06-2018, 07:21   #19

We handsteered with short handed crew for 2-1/2 weeks..not interested in a repeat performance anytime soon but it's easy enough to do. All the old fashion thinkers are reminding themselves why they have a windvane. Best to carry back up when on autopilot alone.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 23:04   #20

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
PS - i keep an extra fluxgate compass as a spare. They're pretty cheap on Ebay. My non-electronic Monitor also does a great job steering when i single hand.
Redundancy of critical components / systems is key for existing in remote situations. Sailing the Pacific is pretty remote
Absolutely. I once fried a fluxgate compass due to antenna mismatch of HF radio antenna causing lots of RF in the boat (I guess, since no lightening was around).
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, cal, electric, electrical