Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2014, 12:27   #1

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'
Electronics Update Recomendation

This winter, I intend to update my chartplotter (Furuno 1723C NavNet) and radar (Furuno). These date from 2000, and while they work OK, my eyes would like a larger screen (currently 7" on the NavNet). The chartplotter is mounted at the helm station in a pod above the steering wheel. I have a split backstay that splits into a Y about 12' above the deck; the radar is located on a platform there. I have in-mast furling so there is no wide roach to hit the backstay mounted radar. The remaining instrumentation (wind direction/velocity; depth and speed log) is B&G as is the autopilot. These feed to the chart plotter via NMEA 183 set up, and I am hoping that they will not need to be changed. They function just fine. I have AIS (Em-Tek) and want that to feed into the new chartplotter.

Requirements: a larger screen chartplotter (at least 12" diagonal), color, with radar overlay to be mounted at helm. Radar can remain located on the platform at the backstay. It works fine there. Radar: either 2 or 4kw radome. Must have GPS, obviously. Boat used for cruising, not racing. The Navnet uses CMap+ chips, but I do not have that many that I am wedded to that brand.

I will be window shopping for a chartplotter and radar at the sail boat show in Annapolis next month. What should I be looking at?
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 14:06   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Electronics Update Recomendation

I don't know the brands etc.

But what I do know is that anything I pay huge amounts of money for must REALLY benefit my lifestyle.

I had one of those 2 inch plotter and now I have a full 12 inches, but its a laptop below.

Work out your prices, your budget and your "value to lifestyle".

Hope this helps

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electronics, men