Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2019, 22:48   #1

Boat: Slocum 43
Eutectic Fridge opinion

I have the old school eutectic fridge. The sort with the deep cavities and built into the bench. The sort that cools the liquid and keeps it cool for a certain amount of time. I am approximately running it, 2-3 hours a day. Draws 30 amps.
Has anyone out there replaced similar? Is there a way to run this unit and keep the amps down by replacement of modern parts?
Its a big consumption. Advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers
the dude abides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 23:16   #2

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Re: Eutectic Fridge opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude abides View Post
I am approximately running it, 2-3 hours a day. Draws 30 amps.
Has anyone out there replaced similar? Is there a way to run this unit and keep the amps down by replacement of modern parts?
The ultimate solutions include:

* better insulation (i.e. higher R-value or thermal resistivity) around your icebox; and

* lower heat load (i.e. reduce the temperature difference between the interior of your icebox and the exterior - such as by shading the deck with an awning or even moving out of the tropics).

But for immediate pragmatic actions: what refrigerator compressor are you running currently? have you checked your refrigerant?
Old 13-07-2019, 12:10   #3

I apoligise foe late reply. My inverter and power on Cintana has gone to pieces since struck by lightning. I am in Langkawi, so it is tropic, Refrigerator and compressor I am running, it is the original since 1988. I will send you a photo. It is 2am here and I just managed to reset my inverter. Bit of a bad run I have had. Thank you for replying. I appreciate it
Old 13-07-2019, 12:50   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Eutectic Fridge opinion

You can of course replace it all with something more Modern and DC powered, if you can do without for a month or so you can even recycle your existing cold plate.
However assuming that getting systems shipped there may be real expensive and time consuming, I think I’d try to get a portable generator and just use it to help.
Of course I know nothing about where you are, how hard to get things imported etc.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 19:06   #5

Hi a64,

I am in Langkawi. You can get things in but very time consuming. It's an old system. I think you are right. I don't even use the freezer that much and not a big red meat eater.thanks for input
Old 14-07-2019, 19:58   #6

Having problems uploading a photo of compressor. Not sure why. It will be an 1988 one for a eutectic. Thanks for replying. I have had a lightning strike and the fridge is working but seems to draw a lot but only have it one twice a day. Everything else though, problems particularly when out in South East Asia. Cheers
Old 15-07-2019, 01:51   #7

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Having problems uploading a photo of compressor. Not sure why. It will be an 1988 one for a eutectic. Thanks for replying. I have had a lightning strike and the fridge is working but seems to draw a lot but only have it one twice a day. Everything else though, problems particularly when out in South East Asia. Cheers
You're in one of the three marinas on Langkawi, or anchored out?

If you're in any of the marinas, you can easily get your refrigerator checked, diagnosed, re-gassed if necessary, and parts replaced if necessary.

Casually browsing the usual places (e.g. Noonsite, Langkawi Gazette) suggest you would do well to contact either of these two:

* IMEAC Engineering (only a vague terrestrial address given on Noonsite; note that my lame searches turn up two versions of the landline phone number - there is clearly an error in one digit in one of those versions of the phone number; your marina office may be a better guide), see: https://www.noonsite.com/business/imeac-engineering/
Imeac Engineering Sdn. Bhd. Langkawi - Household Utensils and Cutlery, Crockery, Glassware, Chinaware and Pottery - Contact Details & Profile - Malaysia.com
https://www.yellowpages.my/listing/l...h/kuah/page/31

* Mr Man (handphone 012-4738451), see: Maintenance / Repairs
Old 15-07-2019, 11:43   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I have the old school eutectic fridge. The sort with the deep cavities and built into the bench. The sort that cools the liquid and keeps it cool for a certain amount of time. I am approximately running it, 2-3 hours a day. Draws 30 amps.
Its a big consumption. Advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Old school eutectic plate refrigeration may not be as outdated as you think on a 43 ft Slocum. In the absents of pictures of your system those who might want to offer advice need more information. Normal refrigeration running time was 2 to 3 hours a day. Are you saying when unit runs it draws 30 amps continuous for 2 to 3 hours or, as much as 90 amp-hrs in three hours? Thirty amp draw would if this were an AC current compressor it would be at least a one horse power large compressor. It sounds more like you have a 12 or 24 volt DC ½ horse power compressor driven direct by a large DC motor or a belt pulley system. I would caution against thinking a modern compressor or new system being a solution.

You are the best judge of how your system is performing today:
After running 3 hours is the eutectic plate when tapped on solid or a teeny sound.

Is there frost covering complete eutectic plate if not describe where there is lack of frost.

To confirm insulation is not compromised with age or moisture turn power off to fridge and see how long box temperature will hold in 12 and again in 24 hours.

Most units that draw as much current as yours will have a liquid sight glass used to determine volume of refrigerant in system look for it and report what you see in the viewing window after compressor has run for at least 30 minutes.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote