Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2007, 08:13   #16

Iv'e done a LOT of these radar plug jobs. The guys on racing sailboats like to be able to quickly remove/install them. Lately Iv'e been using AMP products from Mouser.com Here's a couple pic's. I just douse them inside and out with corrosion block and their fine as long as they are below deck and don't get directly drenched in water. There's a grommet that goes on the strain-relief part.

fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 10:12   #17

hi there again,
would it be possible to use a light version raymarine cable ( the 2kw dome type) for a 4kw dome ?
i know raymarine's advice is to apply the heavy duty cable , but what effect could i expect using the ' light cable ' ?

Thanks for the feedback
bobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 10:37   #18

Boat: Endeavour E40
We just went through this scenario to install a new RAYMARINE 2kw RADOME to our E80........
after a lot of research and consternation we went with the 25m RAYMARINE 2kw cable.......
I couldn't find ANY marine technician that would recommend or perform a splice for me.... so after investing a small fortune for the RAYMARINE E80, and all integrated electronics, switches/depth sounder/GPS/RADOME.......
we decided to bite the bullit and buy the correct 2kw cable........

I'm sure I'll be happy with that decision....JMHO, of course.
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 10:38   #19

Boat: Endeavour E40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs View Post
hi there again,
would it be possible to use a light version raymarine cable ( the 2kw dome type) for a 4kw dome ?
i know raymarine's advice is to apply the heavy duty cable , but what effect could i expect using the ' light cable ' ?

Thanks for the feedback
Obviously, you're talking about "twice" the power with the 4kw.....
so using a 2kw cable doesn't work for me.
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 11:58   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Despite what Furuno says, with a Furuno 1040, 4kW open array that is around 12 years old, I am getting away with a terminal block near the CRT. No problems and the image is fine. So what Furuno is saying is that it could happen and not that it will happen. I would try the "could" (the terminal block route) before I spend the bucks on a longer cable.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 12:24   #21

Boat: Seafarer 30 Impetuous
EngNate - would something like a 25 pair Cat5 BIX (punch-on) telecom connector strip work. The unshielded part could be kept short as the wires are fanned out behind the strip, and the indiviual wires are punched on to the strip. Then then other cable's wires would be punched on the front of the strip.

link:

Electronic Product Online - NORDX/CDT 1A Bix Block

I do not have an electrical background, so I am ignorant to what this would due to signal degradation, impedance, etc - That's why I am asking you guys!!!
Northeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 18:10   #22

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
"I ought to have included words of caution from the start - it's not as easy in practice as it is on the screen. You must be fully proficient in the required skills. An inline splice requires technique for overlapping and soldering shields without damaging the insulation of the conductors below. Conductor splices must be staggered, and each length conforming to the overall splice length. The conductors must be twisted together neat, tight and close, and the length still conforming to the overall splice before soldering each. Proper cutters and cutting technique is required to insure that a strand of wire cannot poke into another conductor. One of these splices takes me a couple of hours or more to do - it may be cheaper to buy the cable - when I have to do it, saving $ on the cable is not the reason."

Oh, have I ever been there! (Especially with my current boat)

Nate knows whereof he speaks. A good splice takes a lot of time and concentration.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2009, 21:06   #23

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngNate View Post

I did once take a series of photos of making a radar cable splice, & do promise to annotate and post them sometime soon.
Hi EngNate.
Did you ever end up posting your radar cable splice pic's?
If you did, can you point me the right direction?

Thanks,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 02:56   #24
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
I ended up mounting radome on backstay instead of mast when I had same issues. Saved a lot of hassle.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2009, 19:54   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbank56 View Post
You don't say how much extra you need or which scanner you have but, I have a bunch of 10meter (light)(2 power cores) cables. They are not extension cables but you can make your own out of one of them. The Raymarine number is M92692. You can have one for the price of shipping.

Eric
Hi Fairbank 56

I read an old post stating that you have a few Raymarine m92692 interconnect cables. If still true I would like to acquire one for my pathfinder m92650 radome.
rcdelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 07:41   #26

Well now I see that these cables go for around $200 so I can't very well give one away but can give a great discount. PM me with an offer.

Eric
Old 29-06-2009, 11:16   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbank56 View Post
You don't say how much extra you need or which scanner you have but, I have a bunch of 10meter (light)(2 power cores) cables. They are not extension cables but you can make your own out of one of them. The Raymarine number is M92692. You can have one for the price of shipping.

Eric
Hi Eric

Roger that on accessory (cable) cost. Trying to keep my cost low due to the fact I am fully restoring my 22' Eastern lobster boat (transom, deck, hull, cabin, paint, wiring and electronics). Picked up a rl70 plus display with the radome on ebay. The display was said to work fine but the radome was sold as is and should be tested in a week or two. In your earlier 2007 July post you mentioned you would let one go for the price of shipping. I will be glad to pay $50.00 plus the price of shipping if that works for you or maybe we could trade for some lobster if you are in the Portsmouth NH area.

Bob
rcdelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 12:41   #28

Terminal blocks seem to work fine, although not recommended by manufacutrer. One of mine was even in the bilge (under the floorboards anyway!)
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 04:51   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdelude View Post
Hi Eric

Roger that on accessory (cable) cost.
Bob
I sent you a private message.

Eric
Old 30-06-2009, 06:19   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Terminal blocks seem to work fine, although not recommended by manufacutrer.
Radar Junction Box Splice Cautions:
1. Screened conductors: The screen or drain shield must be spliced adjacent to it’s core conductor, and the unscreened length of core kept to a minimum (<1.25").
2. Connect all power, data, & co-ax cables in the same sequence (on terminal strip) as used for manufacturer’s connector or terminal. Send & receive conductors will normally be adjacent to each other.
3. Small conductors: Take extraordinary care not to damage very small conductors.
4. Ferrites: Most manufacturers will recommend a specific ferrite bead, to be installed on each end of the splice.
Protection: Protect all cables from moisture, UV & weather exposure, mechanical abrasion, heat, etc. Avoid tight bends.

Excerpted from a previous discussion, with much more good advice (Rick & others):
Goto ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tall-3793.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar