Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2019, 09:21   #1

External GPS Receiver recommendations

Hi - new to Cruisers Forum...so apologize in advance if this is in another thread (I searched to no avail).
I am looking for recommendations for using either the Bad Elf GPS Pro+ versus the Garmin Glo 2 as an external GPS receiver for my Iphone/Ipad running Navionics/INavX. I thought I had decided on the Bad Elf (based on a recommendation at the Annapolis Sailboat Show), but I have been doing research and called one of Bad Elf’s resellers to order one. They said they had stopped selling the Bad Elf products due to lack of popularity and poor support and they recommended the Garmin Glo 2. What has been the experience of people with either the Bad Elf GPS Pro+ or the Garmin Glo 2? I read the reviews on Amazon and the ones complaining the most about the Pro+ were aircraft pilots (not sailors). Any advice would be appreciated.
ks2cs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 09:39   #2

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40
Re: External GPS Receiver recommendations

I have been using a Bad Elf Pro+ for about 3 years now. I connect it to my iPad and really like it. It has been dropped, gotten wet, and still works fine.

Only had one issue in that time; needed a software update about 6 months ago to help acquire satellites quickly, as mine had gotten slower. Had I been checking for updates myself on a regular basis like I should be, probably would not have happened.

Tech support was spot on, friendly and really followed through. The short update worked fine and everything was back to normal. 6 months later, tech support contacted me to see if everything was still fine and to let me know of a new update coming out. I consider that good customer service.

I have no experience with the Garmin Glo 2
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 09:48   #3

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

My experience is not with the latest Bad Elf model, but with the first generation. Never had a problem with it, always worked.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 07:17   #4

Thanks. Anybody else with experience with the Garmin Glo 2? Looks like Bad Elf may be the best option...
ks2cs2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, men