Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2022, 14:53   #1

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Fatal Flaw in Standard Horizon Matrix AIS.

Compare the two attached pictures, one from the Standard Horizon Matrix VHF and one from OpenCpn. Note that the VHF display shows a healthy CPA equal to the range of the other vessel. Note that the OpenCPN display shows a very unhealthy CPA of 0.12 miles from a vessel whose length is about 0.12 miles.

If you depended on the Standard Horizon, you could be dead.

I do have similar pictures for another vessel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Std Horizon 1.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	450.2 KB
ID:	263329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Open CPN 1.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	428.8 KB
ID:	263330  

donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 15:46   #2

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Re: Fatal Flaw in Standard Horizon Matrix AIS.

I've recently learned how to use the tracking feature on my radar.

Works much better than AIS, although I still use the AIS to label targets.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 15:53   #3

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

~2hr to the CPA, one would hope someone would do a visual before then to confirm the electronics
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 16:24   #4

Boat: Westerly Sealord

How do you know the SH is in error and not the OCPN?

The little 'heading marker' on the Pan Gloris on the SH display shows her on a diverging course.

What was the end result? Did she run you over?

Interesting - one display says 12.5 CPA .. the others says .12
Is that a coincidence?
Old 23-08-2022, 17:52   #5

Boat: Other people's boats

The 12.5 vs 0.12 is suspicious, but could be a coincidence. If you share your own course and speed at the time, we can do a manual plot to see which of the two is wonky.

If one of the vessels is turning, then I'd wait for things to settle before trusting the computation.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 17:56   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
I've recently learned how to use the tracking feature on my radar.

Works much better than AIS, although I still use the AIS to label targets.
It becomes a winner when the radar is able to link AIS targets to radar echoes and present them as a single symbol. I think my simple 4G can do that.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2022, 12:59   #7

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Here is the other incident. Note that the Std Horizon CPA again defaults to the range. In this case it was clearly a crossing situation, and there is no doubt the CPA cannot be the range.

In the first incident, there was clearly a collision problem, and we turned 10 degrees to starboard even though the other vessel was overtaking. We were going 6-7 knots at the time.

In the second incident, the other vessel was a long tow, and I could see him slow down and turn to starboard to give us a 2 mile CPA.

I really don't care if the Std Horizon later recalculates a correct CPA. I am trying to identify problem vessels vs no problem vessels and focus on the problem vessels. I think the Matrix units should be recalled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Std Horizon 2.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	446.8 KB
ID:	263389   Click image for larger version

Name:	Open CPN 2.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	426.8 KB
ID:	263390  

donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2022, 13:30   #8

Boat: Westerly Sealord

It is possible to have identical CPA and Range if it is at CPA at the time of observation eg overtaking ship on parallel course when on the beam.

However this isn't the case with yours. Maybe an isolated software issue - dunno.

Does it happen with every contact or is it intermittent ?

I'd be getting in touch with SH for sure.
Old 24-08-2022, 13:51   #9

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I've been using mine for about 5 years and have never seen this error. I'll keep an eye out for it, but as my unit is a bit old it may not have the same software version that you have.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2022, 14:13   #10

Boat: Other people's boats

Agree, this looks problematic. Even if it lacked sufficient data to complete the calculation, it shouldn't default to the distance value.

If it did later correct itself, how long did that take?
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2022, 14:16   #11

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Here is the other incident. Note that the Std Horizon CPA again defaults to the range. In this case it was clearly a crossing situation, and there is no doubt the CPA cannot be the range.

In the first incident, there was clearly a collision problem, and we turned 10 degrees to starboard even though the other vessel was overtaking. We were going 6-7 knots at the time.

In the second incident, the other vessel was a long tow, and I could see him slow down and turn to starboard to give us a 2 mile CPA.

I really don't care if the Std Horizon later recalculates a correct CPA. I am trying to identify problem vessels vs no problem vessels and focus on the problem vessels. I think the Matrix units should be recalled.
Yes, you need to give us your course and speed. My first thought is that the Matrix Radio is not getting proper own ship GPS information and/or not calculating ownship course and speed.
Old 24-08-2022, 20:08   #12

Looks to me like a display bug where it's displaying RNG in place of CPA. If would be interesting to see if it alarms based on the correct CPA, or the faulty one begin displayed.

What firmware revision do you have?
Old 24-08-2022, 20:42   #13

Boat: Morgan 382

I have been using the Standard Horizon AIS for 5 years, and crossed hundreds of vessels and not seen this. I use the AIS alarm on SH instead of OpenCPN, but always compare them when an alarm goes off.

Before you blame SH, you need to capture the AIS data for evaluation. You can record it in OpenCPN with the VDR plugin. It would then also be possible to rig a setup to play the NMEA data back to reproduce the error on the SH.

I *HAVE* had a few times a ship was transmitting invalid data that resulted in incorrect display.
Old 24-08-2022, 20:52   #14

Boat: Morgan 382

One possible cause. Are you using an external GPS/Antenna with the SH? If not, then the GPS signal could be weak or sporadic, and at times report your boat going the incorrect direction. If you are moving away from each other, then the Range will be the CPA.

While I never observed the issue you have, I did find that overall it worked much better when receiving GPS from the boats external antenna, and not relying on the internal GPS.
Old 24-08-2022, 23:49   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

The cause of this difference is not any flaw in the SH unit; it's just that you are more than 2 hours from CPA, so the CPA will vary wildly based on small changes of SOG or COG of either vessel. This information is not really usable that far off. The SH is just using a different slice of data.

I wouldn't even pay attention to this until you are one hour TCPA. If you're getting less than 2 miles CPA at one hour TCPA, then start watching it. By half hour TCPA it's time to start planning your action.

As to using radar -- not all vessels transmit AIS, so you should watch that too. But MARPA is much less accurate than AIS with radars and compasses like what we have (big ship radar is different). So if you have both AIS data and MARPA data, you should give priority to the AIS data.

OpenCPN has a superior AIS implementation with really useful presentation of the geometry of the crossing with a target (right click, choose "display target CPA" to get this). In high traffic areas like German Bight, English Channel, etc., I like to have someone at the helm keeping a visual watch while I do collision avoidance at the nav table. I use AIS on OpenCPN and keep the nav table MFD on the radar display. MARPA is working better on my system since I changed my compass, but I still don't like it much. I prefer to do manual plotting with a pencil on a plotter sheet, or just use EBL and VRM on the radar display. Watching the target move in relation to the EBL is a really analogue way to do it, but works extremely well. You don't actually need to know to the meter or even to the cable what is the CPA, to distinguish a safe from unsafe crossing, or to know what to do.

I recently had to refresh these skills when I spent the entire summer last year -- a few thousand miles in busy waters including a long distance ocean race -- without AIS at all (which failed at the beginning of the summer and then I was unable to get a new one delivered anywhere in time). It was good to be reminded that you can do entirely satisfactory collision avoidance without AIS, if you have reasonable radar skills.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais