Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2020, 14:56   #1

Feeding Navico 3G Radar to Garmin MFD

Hello,

General question: is this is even possible?

Current set-up B&G 3G Radar with B&G Zeus 2 MFD. I like to add a new Garmin MFD as a second MFD. Is there a way to feed Radar data from B&G Zeus 2 MFD to Garmin MFD via NMEA2000 or any other protocol?

What Garmin MFD do I need if yes?

Thank you!
Old 30-03-2020, 15:02   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Feeding Navico 3G Radar to Garmin MFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by badadim View Post
Hello,

General question: is this is even possible?

Current set-up B&G 3G Radar with B&G Zeus 2 MFD. I like to add a new Garmin MFD as a second MFD. Is there a way to feed Radar data from B&G Zeus 2 MFD to Garmin MFD via NMEA2000 or any other protocol?

What Garmin MFD do I need if yes?

Thank you!
No. You can use a B&G Zeus or Vulcan display, I think even the cheap 5” one, or their Navico equals from Simrad or Lowrance, or any computer running OpenCPN, may be even Raspberry Pi running Openplotter?
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 18:44   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
No. You can use a B&G Zeus or Vulcan display, I think even the cheap 5” one, or their Navico equals from Simrad or Lowrance, or any computer running OpenCPN, may be even Raspberry Pi running Openplotter?

Using OpenCPN or Openplotter: via NMEA2000 or Ethernet?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	211687  
Old 30-03-2020, 20:35   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Using OpenCPN or Openplotter: via NMEA2000 or Ethernet?
You need the scanner, cable and that connection box listed as #4. It has an Ethernet to your network incl. OpenCPN etc. as well as a nmea2000 which is to feed data -to- the radar scanner. The most important is heading data.
Old 30-03-2020, 21:23   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You need the scanner, cable and that connection box listed as #4. It has an Ethernet to your network incl. OpenCPN etc. as well as a nmea2000 which is to feed data -to- the radar scanner. The most important is heading data.
I am not looking for chart overlay or MARPA at this point, so no need in heading for now. I just want to "copy" radar screen on another screen or not Navico MFD.

From what I understand, the actual radar data flows from 'box 4' to Zeus MFD via Ethernet. Even for Navico MFDs they use Eithernet to multiply Radar data on multiple MFDs (new screenshot attached).

So, having a pi on that network will give me radar image on OpenCPN. I am reading Radar_pi plugin manual on OpenCPN and it makes more sence now. Thank you for your help and direction.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20200330-210337_Drive.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	211695  
Old 30-03-2020, 22:06   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I am not looking for chart overlay or MARPA at this point, so no need in heading for now. I just want to "copy" radar screen on another screen or not Navico MFD.

From what I understand, the actual radar data flows from 'box 4' to Zeus MFD via Ethernet. Even for Navico MFDs they use Eithernet to multiply Radar data on multiple MFDs (new screenshot attached).

So, having a pi on that network will give me radar image on OpenCPN. I am reading Radar_pi plugin manual on OpenCPN and it makes more sence now. Thank you for your help and direction.
Yes, that is exactly what I mean. Check out the OpenCPN forum; it has a thread about the radar plug-in. You can even do setup etc. with it
Old 31-03-2020, 09:12   #7

Boat: Kelly Peterson 46

I have the 4g radar, and "believe" the network side is identical. I feed Radar-->RI10-->ethernet switch and connect both a zeus3, simrad nss8 and my raspberry pi running openplotter to the switch. I can see radar on all of them. I have no idea if Garmin can interface with the ethernet radar (probably not), but if you want a different screen you could use open cpn of screen mirror the zeus on an ipad. Word of warning, the opencpn plugin for radar isn't a functional as native on the zeus, but it's free!!
Good luck.

Brad Harley SV Perspective
bradfordharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 09:56   #8

Simrad also has a wifi app that you can control view and operate your main MFD from a tablet. Use the tablet as your second MFD
brmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 11:40   #9

Garmin got back to me.

Also looking at the source code of OpenCPN radar_pi plugin (here: https://github.com/opencpn-radar-pi/...ree/master/src) it became obvious that both brands are using Ethernet as physical transport however actual commands and protocols are different (at least this is my barbaric conclusion...).

I will be very thankful to OpenCPN radar_pi moderators/experts to bring some light on what will it take to connect different radar and MFD brands.

Perhaps radar_pi plugin can be enhanced to play dual role: OpenCPN plugin and also protocol/brand adapter (like Navico radar to Garmin MFD and vice versa)?

The idea of using WiFi and tablet as a repeater is also simplistically brilliant!
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	64
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	211757  
Old 31-03-2020, 12:47   #10

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

There is no way that brand A radar will work with brand B mfd. Period. All brands use different methods of transmission over Ethernet and completely different command sets.

I know this for sure since I unified the Garmin HD, xHD and Navico radar plugins into the current OpenCPN radar plugin.

Note that the xHD codebase doesn’t even allow work with newer Garmin radars like Fantom. It’s probably pretty easy to adapt, but it still requires work (by someone with that particular radar).

All manufacturers have iOS and Android apps to replicate and control MFD screens. As said, simple and reliable.

@bradfordharley, what features do you think your chart plotter has that the plugin doesn’t? I’m not talking about OpenCPN versus chart plotter here — I personally like MFDs to bits, have 3, only use O as backup. But in terms of radar features I think the plugin is rather complete.
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 13:03   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrimac View Post
There is no way that brand A radar will work with brand B mfd. Period. All brands use different methods of transmission over Ethernet and completely different command sets.

I know this for sure since I unified the Garmin HD, xHD and Navico radar plugins into the current OpenCPN radar plugin.

Note that the xHD codebase doesn’t even allow work with newer Garmin radars like Fantom. It’s probably pretty easy to adapt, but it still requires work (by someone with that particular radar).

All manufacturers have iOS and Android apps to replicate and control MFD screens. As said, simple and reliable.

@bradfordharley, what features do you think your chart plotter has that the plugin doesn’t? I’m not talking about OpenCPN versus chart plotter here — I personally like MFDs to bits, have 3, only use O as backup. But in terms of radar features I think the plugin is rather complete.

@merrimac, any thoughts on the below?

"Perhaps radar_pi plugin can be enhanced to play dual role: OpenCPN plugin and also protocol/brand adapter (like Navico radar to Garmin MFD and vice versa)?"
Old 31-03-2020, 13:44   #12

Quote:
@merrimac, any thoughts on the below?

"Perhaps radar_pi plugin can be enhanced to play dual role: OpenCPN plugin and also protocol/brand adapter (like Navico radar to Garmin MFD and vice versa)?"

Sure, here are my thoughts.

1) Hell no, I’ve got better things to do than that.
2) Why you don’t get an extra Navico MFD instead of that Garmin.

Price wise there isn’t much if any difference and keeping one mode of operation is very useful.
Old 31-03-2020, 17:21   #13

Quote:

Price wise there isn’t much if any difference and keeping one mode of operation is very useful.

Navico DIY support does not exist... while Garmin treats me as VIP every time I bug them with my 25 years old GPS120. With all the frills around B&G I don't like to be treated as a dog and pay for it
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	60
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	211776  
Old 03-07-2022, 11:03   #14

Quote:

Hi merrimac, any changes on this topic in the latest release of the plugin or it is still "hell no"?
Old 03-07-2022, 11:10   #15

Correct, hell no.

Tags
garmin, navico, opencpn, radar, radar_pi