Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2021, 06:21   #46

Boat: Sail-Fortissimo ALU 7,78 mt
Re: Fenix autopilot project - tiller autopilot based on Arduino

Hi Sergio, everything seems ok. Now I just have to find a nice box to put everything. Now I have to figure out how to make Fenix talk to OpenCPN.ollice:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...FI?usp=sharing
Max47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2021, 16:06   #47

Hi Sergio, I can't calibrate the actuator. I have the latest software version that you have released. The left button reacts, after pressing the acutator extends and immediately after releasing it retracts itself. The right button can only stop this shift, otherwise it does not respond. Can you please advise me? Vitek
lodnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 01:05   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodnik View Post
Hi Sergio, I can't calibrate the actuator. I have the latest software version that you have released. The left button reacts, after pressing the acutator extends and immediately after releasing it retracts itself. The right button can only stop this shift, otherwise it does not respond. Can you please advise me? Vitek
Hi Lodnik, left button should retract the actuator, not extend. Please try swapping power wires from actuator to motor controller A & B. If this does not work can you send a log file of the calibration process?

Procedure to record a log in the link below,

https://app.gitbook.com/@spascual90/...-support-tools

Regards
Sergio
spascual90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 04:21   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by spascual90 View Post
Hi Lodnik, left button should retract the actuator, not extend. Please try swapping power wires from actuator to motor controller A & B. If this does not work can you send a log file of the calibration process?

Procedure to record a log in the link below,

https://app.gitbook.com/@spascual90/...-support-tools

Regards
Sergio
Hi Sergio,
some time has passed (docet virus). I'm still stuck with the actuator. Aside I have sent you files for checking. Let me know!
Old 10-09-2021, 09:09   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max47 View Post
Hi Sergio,
some time has passed (docet virus). I'm still stuck with the actuator. Aside I have sent you files for checking. Let me know!
Hello Gino,
The issue may be in a wrong identificación of the wires to motor controller. You have to swap PWD and DIR.
Please let me know if this solves the problem.

Regards
Sergio
Old 12-09-2021, 09:09   #51

I have updated the PCB files to fix this labeling issue.
You can find New versión here,

https://github.com/spascual90/PCB-fo...g/v.1.1-beta.2

As recommended before, if you have already a PCB, just swap PWD and DIR cables.

Regards
Sergio
Old 12-09-2021, 13:48   #52

Quote:
I have updated the PCB files to fix this labeling issue.
You can find New versión here,

https://github.com/spascual90/PCB-fo...g/v.1.1-beta.2

As recommended before, if you have already a PCB, just swap PWD and DIR cables.

Regards
Sergio
Hi Sergio,
I remind you that I'm not a technician at all. I have read your answer and from the check I have done it seems to me that the PCB in my possession corresponds to your last indication. See: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d30...ew?usp=sharing
If it's just the print label and not the pins that go into the controller, should they be right or am I wrong?
I have a copy of the pcb and if you want I can send it to you for a check.
Let me know and good wind, always!
Old 13-09-2021, 11:32   #53

Hi again,
in the schema you can see what I mean by swapping PWD and DIR cables between PCB and motor controller.

I hope this is clear now. If not, please let me know.

Best regards,
Sergio
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PCB 1.1 mitigation.png
Views:	75
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	245259  
Old 14-09-2021, 14:09   #54

Quote:
Hi again,
in the schema you can see what I mean by swapping PWD and DIR cables between PCB and motor controller.

I hope this is clear now. If not, please let me know.

Best regards,
Sergio
Hi Sergio, in the meantime I had made the connection and it seems to work the same way.
What should I do by disconnecting the three wires? or I leave them. (should be a duplicate).
However the Blutout transmission seems fragile! I'll try to change the receiver.
In the meantime, let me know if I have to disconnect the three wires.
A greeting!
Old 14-09-2021, 14:25   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max47 View Post
Hi Sergio, in the meantime I had made the connection and it seems to work the same way.

What should I do by disconnecting the three wires? or I leave them. (should be a duplicate).

However the Blutout transmission seems fragile! I'll try to change the receiver.

In the meantime, let me know if I have to disconnect the three wires.

A greeting!
Hi, I wrote you an email. If you are using motor controller shield the 3 cables are not necessary and the problem is not there.
Remove them please.
Please explain the wrong behaviour you are experiencing.
Regards
Sergio
Old 13-04-2022, 13:05   #56

Interesting project.

With a background in programming and electronics I want to make a Autopilot for my newly bought boat.

I was first opting for PyPilot but I am better with arduino's and didnt like the complexity of pypilot.

I have laying arround some ESP32, a Fried Mega and some Uno's. I also have the MPU9250 compass.

I have 3 issues for which I would like to adapt your code:
1) make it usable for ESP32, it already has Bluetooth and enough serial interfaces
2) make it usable for the MPU9250
3) I have a hydraulic steering and ordered the hydraulic pump. I will use a rudder feedback sensor. But I do need to adapt the code to make this work

So before I invest many hours in your code, can you reflect on the challenges I will be facing to make the needed adaptions?
Pietero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2023, 17:11   #57

Looking forward to putting this together. All of my pieces and the shield have arrived. I'm not sure if there's my activity on this project as this is the only form that I've found on the internet. Anyways, we're going to give it a shot. It looks much less complicated than pypilot.. a post after I have a few of the bits put together and have the first startup underway. Hopefully we'll be in good shape. If anybody's listening, let me know.
Tonypascone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2023, 00:14   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonypascone View Post
It looks much less complicated than pypilot.. a post after I have a few of the bits put together and have the first startup underway. Hopefully we'll be in good shape. If anybody's listening, let me know.
Sergio published his latest code last September. You can see that on Github https://github.com/spascual90/Fenix

I just got an email that a new post was made. I forgot about this project. I ended up building my own autopilot but also had many issues with the compass just like Sergio. That is why I decided to utilize the phone compass instead and send it over via bluetooth. Worked like a charm. Currently made GPS steering and waypoint navigation. Will test that once the season starts.

Sergio, I do have a few questions.
In the github I see references to NMEA but you do not mention it anywhere. What is the state of that?

I decided to use a ESP32, which is basically an arduino on steroids. It has bluetooth and wifi straight out of the box. Could this be a solution to your project?

I see that you use Virtuino, I use Flutter. I guess my app building skills are better and your hardware skills are better. Perhaps we can join forces in some way?

See my youtube video here:

https://github.com/pieteroskam/autopilot
https://play.google.com/apps/testing...ical.autopilot

Pypilot is sort of the leading open source autopilot but it is over complicated and the code is a mess. There are soo many sailors creating their own solution. Perhaps they should join forces and create a credible alternative to pypilot.
Pietero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2023, 08:11   #59

Hi Pietero,
I downloaded the app and ordered an ESP32 that will be here Tuesday.. I’ll build them up in parallel. I’ve got a couple H bridge motor controller and all the other bits as well as a couple linear actuators. One with feedback and then two ST1000’s with fried PCBs (the replacement boards are $200+, thus looking for an alternative). I wasn’t aware of the compass issues you mentioned although when I’ve tinkered on my bench the compass output always seems a bit slow.. looking forward to the parallel path. Doing a 350 mile sail in March.. Hoping to have a couple trials knocked out by then and give it a shot without needing to buy board for St1000.

Couple quick questions..

1. Is there separate code for the ESP32 or does the app program the ESP32 when the app connects via Bluetooth.?
2. Any notes on wiring the ESP32 to the motor controller?

I agree that the Pypilot was a mess. It seems way too complex given the tools available.. A great project and it seems to be serving others.. The path you have taken, and Sergio, are much simpler..

I’ll feedback my experiences.. and comments.

Looking forward to tinkering.

Best,

Tony Pascone
Old 22-01-2023, 13:45   #60

Found the git hub page. Ping you on nce it's all hooked up.. thanks again!

Tags
autopilot, project