Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2008, 20:38   #31

Boat: Beneteau 473
I have been in the wet submersible business since the late 70s and I have used several different obstacle avoidance sonars.
For the past 4 years I used the Interphase Sea Scout then recently we switched to the Interphase Color Twin Scope.

I find the Color Twin to be about the best forward scanning sonar product I have seen in years.
Sonars are all prone to interference and clutter and most often operator error.

The real key to getting the most out of any sonar is proficiency through practice. You have be able to interpret what you see on the screen. That likely wont happen if you only look at the screen in confined or hazardous areas on occasion.
The way we teach new users is by driving past and towards known obstacles and through narrow channels.
While doing that we have them manipulate the controls to see what the effects will be.
The point being, It is often quite simple to tune out or obscure the obstacles you are looking for.
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:58   #32
Marine Service Provider

Hello,
It is worth noting that the echopilot is the only true real time system on the market for small boats with an update rate of twice per second.
The main advantage of the echopilot system over the competitors is the shallow water performance. The echopilot will work down to under a meter. As with all forward sonars the forward range is dependant on the depth.
The best forward range to depth ratio achieved by any of our competitor is eight times the depth ahead.
The bottom of the range echopilot bronze can achieve 10 times the depth ahead, and the echopilot platinum and echopilot 3d can achieve up to 20 times the depth ahead. For more detailed information check out the echopilot website.
EchoPilot is offline   Reply With Quote