Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 13:22   #31

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Forward Scanning Sonar - Is It Any Good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Jim, Does the Probe have a horizontal scan or a vertical scan?
G'Day Hop,

The Probe model scans from straight down to straight ahead. You can choose to utilize only a portion of that arc if you wish. This can speed up the sweep repeat time... can be useful at sea if you want to only worry about things near the surface.

They now have a more expensive model that combines the Probe scan with one that angles down (at a fixed angle) and sweeps 45 degrees each side of the boats centerline. I haven't used this model, but it sounds like it could be useful for finding a deeper channel off to the side of one's path. Perhaps someone with experience can comment on this.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 10-09-2012, 20:33   #32

I have the Interphase "PC View" unit. I haven't used it much yet, but seems to me that with a bit of learning to interpret it will be quite useful, as others have noted. I can scan vertical or horizontal or display both on a split screen.

My only complaint is that I cant get it to work on a Windows 7 PC, so I am stuck with keeping the Windows 98 unit, just for the Interphase system. The issue is that the unit plugs into a parallel port, and although I tried pretty hard I just cant get the software to 'see' that the unit is connected. I did email Interphase and they replied:

Unfortunately the PC VIEW only operates on WINDOWS XP HOME and older. It also will only operate via a parallel port connection. All converters and virtual ports we tried did not work. We did a lot of testing on these issues several years ago in an attempt to bring the discontinued PC product up to the current standards-unfortunately to no avail.

The only option would be to upgrade to the ULTRASCAN PC. This is our current PC product. It can operate using your existing transducer. Take a look:

Interphase: Ultrascan PC90

Before purchasing I will experiment a bit more to see if I feel the benefit will justify the rather high cost.
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 21:07   #33

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

spoke to them awhile back and was told that those of us with older units could up-grade to the newer unit for a fraction of the cost... my older model is still working fine after 10 years of use..

Funny story,
A couple years ago, the wife and I volunteered at "Spaulding Wooden Boat Works" in the bay area for a few months.. Spaulding has become a non-profit..
and while there, a haul out was done on a BCC, and as always most owners of BCCs are a traditionalest and keep to the "OLD WAYS"..
and as I walked around the boat with the owner, while it was on the stands, we talked about the way they sailed and her actions on the water..
I then looked up and noticed the "Tel-Tale" transducer with its "eye-drop" style..
I looked over at the owner, pointed at the puck protruding from the hull and asked,
Isnt that a little sacrilegious???? he put his finger to his lipps and gave me a shush...
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote