Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2021, 12:30   #1

Fox and Hound wire tracer recommendations

I am looking for recommendations for a tone generator wire tracer. Optimally something that will work with a needle contact.

I am also starting a petition to make it a hanging offense to a abandon wires when installing new equipment. Who's with me?
Seapig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 14:05   #2

Re: Fox and Hound wire tracer recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seapig View Post

I am also starting a petition to make it a hanging offense to a abandon wires when installing new equipment. Who's with me?
I guess you've never come across a wire that can't be back pulled. Sometimes the wire is part of a larger run that is zip tied every few feet along the run and routes behind bulkheads and various difficult to reach areas. You could spend hours tidying up wiring runs in never seen spaces.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 14:26   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I guess you've never come across a wire that can't be back pulled. Sometimes the wire is part of a larger run that is zip tied every few feet along the run and routes behind bulkheads and various difficult to reach areas. You could spend hours tidying up wiring runs in never seen spaces.

I have and I have spent hours pulling them back and re zip tying them. If you can't get the entire wire out than you should at least cut it back cap it and label it. At the very least cut it back clean at the bundle. Leaving connectors hanging in the back of an instrument space is just lazy. If you pay someone to install new equipment and they don't do that minimum level of clean up then they would go on my list to be hung.
Seapig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 14:31   #4

Boat: Catalina 387

I use a cheapie: https://www.amazon.com/Sperry-Instru..._t1_B0863F3HYD

It works. Has a bit of limited range, but I've traced the wires embedded in the overhead with it. No contact needed for the receiver. Transmitter really only needs one wire hooked up.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:43   #5

Boat: Grand Banks Europa 42

I have the Sperry device mentioned, works pretty well in my 42’ trawler.

I’ve removed about 15 banker boxes of wire and equipment so far in my 20yo vessel. Chases are so jammed with unused wiring I had a hard time routing a small gauge coax for an external cellular antenna.
walbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:55   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

What and lose that valuable resource of spare wire? Spent a miserable day hand steering in the rain on a friends boat in rough seas We couldn’t get the autopilot to work shortly after a wire cleanup. Turned out the PO had wired part of it with speaker wire which my friend had ripped out since he knew he had pulled all of the old stereo system out. It should be a hanging offense along with not labeling wires. I make labels then laminate them twice over with a hot laminator then zip tie them to.the wires after melting a hole in the lamination with a hot punch. Takes time but has been so worthwhile later.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:42   #7

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I will be happy to sign that petition!

My old 1983 motorsailer had lots dead end wires when I bought it, some of them lamp cord, and yes I have spent hours clipping wire ties, pulling back unused wires, and wire tying bundles back together again.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 03-09-2021, 10:05   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
I use a cheapie: https://www.amazon.com/Sperry-Instru..._t1_B0863F3HYD

It works. Has a bit of limited range, but I've traced the wires embedded in the overhead with it. No contact needed for the receiver. Transmitter really only needs one wire hooked up.
Thanks for the recommendation. Been wanting one. I just placed an order.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:59   #9

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

I pulled TWO five gallon buckets of wire off my boat after purchase.
I have the Harbor Freight FM frequency generator to chase wires.

You wouldn't believe the amount of cut wires behind our airplane panel. I tried to hunt down the source for our panel lights. There must have been 50 cut white wires with random lenghts. Impossible. Still use a headlamp at night.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 13:33   #10

Boat: Camano Troll

I used one of those wire tracers in my job for twenty years or so. Originally, I used one I constructed myself. Eventually, I got a commercial one.

Using these devices is a bit of an art because the signal can transfer to other wires and in some cases the wire you are trying to trace is grounded (or partially grounded, through a light bulb, perhaps) and the signal is shorted to ground.

I still have one but have never considered using it on my boat. No need to, I suppose.

If you get one, keep in mind what I posted above. Don't rip out a wire based solely on a signal tracer. Double check first.
Old 03-09-2021, 13:51   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I used one of those wire tracers in my job for twenty years or so. Originally, I used one I constructed myself. Eventually, I got a commercial one.

Using these devices is a bit of an art because the signal can transfer to other wires and in some cases the wire you are trying to trace is grounded (or partially grounded, through a light bulb, perhaps) and the signal is shorted to ground.

I still have one but have never considered using it on my boat. No need to, I suppose.

If you get one, keep in mind what I posted above. Don't rip out a wire based solely on a signal tracer. Double check first.
I built a rig with 50’ of 16gauge hook up wire
a cheap little buzzer and a 9 volt battery.
Basically a really big continuity checker.
There were a few instances where the fox and hound gave erroneous
results because of tight bundling. I used the above rig to check
the Fox and Hound before cutting any wires.
Saved some grief for sure
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 14:19   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
I have an inexpensive "fox & hound" tracer. It's of some use on a boat, but you often have to disconnect the wire(s) at both ends to get enough signal to trace with. As described above, sometimes it's just as effective to do other tests like continuity, or looking for 12v as you trace away from the DC panel.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 14:57   #13

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
That will work. I have used the technique of temporarily grounding a conductor as a tracing aide. That ground can take the place of the 50' of hookup wire (in some cases).
Old 03-09-2021, 16:55   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Irwin 52

I love my tone generator for chasing wires, wish I had it 11 years ago when I ripped out two lawn and leaf bags of wire, had to follow them the old hard way. the tone generator I have is a fluke pro 3000, probable recommended by some one here. It can be a little tricky and you have to be carefull in a big bundle of wires, but it works. I do still have some of that damn old speaker wire in some bundles on my boat, that **** was every where.
jharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 18:33   #15

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

My boat has had 3 previous owners, they all added new wiring. So have I, but I'm probably the first to remove any!
I bought a cheap fox and hound from harbour freight. It's saved so much time. Plus I've been recruited a few times to help buddy boats. It's well worth having aboard
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, race, racer