Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2014, 21:18   #1

Boat: Nautitech Open 46
Freydis electronic refit

The boat is now at just cats in Ft Lauderdale, for the refit. I can't make up my mind if I should go with the 12" chartplotter and share it with the radar (B and G 4g ) or go with 2 8" or 9" side by side and keep the radar and plotter separate. Don't have the room for anything larger. Zues2 is 9" the touch is 8"
The AiS is separate and already installed Vesper watchmate vision.
Going to check both the touch and the zues2 out at annapolis and hope for a show special.
Regards
Paul
Steel sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:28   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Freydis electronic refit

You can overlay the radar on the chartplotter, as well as use a split screen for it, so I don't see the need for dedicated radar and CP displays.

BTW, we recently returned to Panama and was sad to see your boat was gone - I was going to try to convince you to take me for a sail!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 20:07   #3

I think we were both in san blas at the same time, we left san blas for Isla Providencia mid April, then on to cayman, where we had a major problem which I will report on once all is finalized with insurance.

Understand about the overlay.i am in the habit of running 2 Plotter one with the big picture of the route and one zoomed in. I am coming from a furuno monochrome radar, and furuno gp7000 showing detail with a garmin showing overview
Regards
Paul
Old 13-09-2014, 06:19   #4

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

I have 2-7" displays on the bridge, one dedicated to radar. I thought the screen was to small to overlay or split. I have a new Standard Horizon cp590 12" display at the lower helm and can overlay or split with no problem seeing what's on the screen. AIS is displayed on the 12" and the 7" plotter at the bridge. Good luck with your choice

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 06:33   #5

Boat: PT-11

Having the radar overlayed on the chartplotter is a huge step up from a separate display. And bigger display is better. We have a 12" RM e127 at nav and e125 at helm, both with radar overlay. Both also have rudimentary AP controls. Has been a very helpful setup.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 06:51   #6

I think we were both in San Blas at the same time, we left San Blas for Isla Providencia mid April, then on to cayman, where we had a major problem which I will report on once all is finalized with insurance.

Understand about the overlay.i am in the habit of running 2 Plotter one with the big picture of the route and one zoomed in. I am coming from a furuno monochrome radar, and furuno gp7000 showing detail with a garmin showing overview
Regards
Paul
Old 13-09-2014, 07:07   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I would definitely go with two separate displays if you have room for them.

The Zeus has so many useful screens that you will regret having only one of them. The 8" Zeus screen is SVGA resolution and for doesn't really work as a split screen.

One flaw (IMHO) of the Zeus is that you can't invoke a list of AIS targets the plotter screen; only on the radar screen. If you're using separate AIS, then maybe this is not really important to you (you do get the AIS targets themselves on the plotter screen, and MARPA targets, too, just not the list), but I for one would really love to be able to have radar with AIS target list on one screen, and plotter, possibly split with the SailSteer screen, on the other. That would really be cool.

If you don't need the AIS target list, then it is true that the radar overlay is very good (IF you have a good heading sensor). On an offshore passage, I set up a radar guard zone, then switch back to the plotter screen with radar overlay. This works ok, but sometimes in dense ship traffic you would really like to see both the radar and plotter screens at once.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refit