Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2012, 18:41   #16

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
We have a pantech element not only does it have gps it is also water proof! Admiral loves it for games movies etc also takes great pics amd video
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 19:27   #17

This thread is surreal.

I love that iNavx is essentially defending the Navionics app, because somebody spent money to add wifi to a wifi-only iPad and can't figure out why there is no GPS signal.

Wow.
Jbaffoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 19:47   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Frustrated ! WithNavionics program

I think what OP bought was a portable cellular WiFi hotspot mistakenly thinking that WiFi access outside a WiFi zone was what was needed for position fixes.

Primarily for clarification to OP...

- GPS = Global Positioning System based on a system of satellites - provides "one-way" positioning data - provides position information down to a few meters with proper GPS decoding
- WiFi = Wireless data communications usually provided by a wireless router or other hot spot - used for two way data communications - i.e. needed to download maps to Navionics - Provides "location" but not "position
- 3G = Cellular Data Communications - Provides two way data communication through cellular telephone infrastructure. Requires a sim card and data plan. Can be used for location data but not position data.

Enhanced location Services - using the WiFi location or 3G cellular location to help the GPS acquire the satellites quicker by narrowing the search for satellites to those in the expected area rather than the Global Satellite network

- The Navionics application needs GPS to function properly - If passed location information from WiFi or cell towers it will plot the position although inaccurately - If not receiving WiFi or Cell Data it won't plot anything
- WiFi provides "location" services based on the nearest Internet Node it is using - when it is receiving WiFi - This is accurate enough to tag a picture with - "Bob is in Melbourne on Flinders street" but not much more
- Non-3G capable iPads do not have a GPS installed. The best you get is location through WiFi. If you add a cellular hot spot you will get cellular location and still not get position data

At this point OP needs to add an external GPS receiver that is compatible with the iPad.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 22:30   #19

Boat: Perry 40 catamaran

Many thanks to all who have helped me understand the issue that I requested assistance with. Itis fair to say that my understanding of Wi Fi and GPS was limited and confused at best. I thank you all for not (generally) denigrating my intellect because of my misunderstandings. I believe I now have an excellent grasp of the issue and am equipped to rectify the problem, in fact, I have now purchased a blue tooth GPS.
I may not be any wiser, but at least I am better informed.
yachtyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 16:11   #20

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

I have just returned from the 'Apple store' in Corte Madea. First, I have to say that is the worst place I have EVER had to try to ask about a product.. loud and terribly crowded.

The new Ipad does not have a 'true' GPS in either wi-fi or 3/4g versions. The "GPS" listed in the specs relies on the cell towers and while it is much more accurate then the Wi-Fi triangulation that cell phones use, it is not going to work out of cell phone range.

Anyone actually sail out of sight of land with one of these 'pads'? Apparently the folks at apple have a different definition of "GPS"?
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 16:40   #21

I luv my Navionics app! Used on iPhone; several offshore coastal passages Gulf Coast and Atlantic more than 600 miles. Worked more than 50 nm offshore. Works without cellphone coverage, relies on GPS satellite. Also worked in ICW with no cell coverage.

Used at Nav station plugged in via dc adapter. It served as backup for cockpit chartplotter and my handheld Garmin GPS. I like it much better than my handheld GPS. Although not as durable, I use Ballistic iPhone case to help with "shock absorption" and have clear waterproof case as well if used in cockpit.

Suggest you try your Navionics app on your iPhone; I believe your apps are transferable from your iPad device or pc.

Good luck!
Old 28-09-2012, 16:43   #22

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

No, that is not correct. A 3G/4G iPad has a true GPS that does not depend on cell tower connection and will work outside of cell phone range just like any other GPS. The confusion may be that the iPad uses cell tower triangulation to get a faster fix when the GPS is first turned on. If there are no cell towers available, then the GPS simply searches for satellites like any other GPS before getting a fix.

This is no different than manually providing an independent GPS (like a hand-held unit) an approximate position during setup, except that it is automated for the iPad.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote